• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kevin Wimmer

I kinda agree with what you're saying BUT anybody could contest your last point by saying Toby and Kane were out for good periods last season and we still ended up with a stellar points total (for us).

So did we miss them last season or did we cope ?

We coped without Kane

We missed Toby

Look at the results when he was out

The only games we won were West Ham home and Swansea home

We lost to Leverkusen, Monaco, Chelsea, pool (league cup) and drew with Arsenal, leiceter, Bournemouth, Leverkusen and West Brom (when he got injured). Goals for of 11 (spanking of Swansea was almost half) and against us was 6. Take the Swansea game out of it and without Toby we managed to score as many as we concede 6!!!!

Before that but with Kane injured we won every game including wins against Gollingham (league cup), boro, CSKA and city. With in the league goals scored of 4 and 1 against 6 in the league.

When Kane got injured again we won all 4 league games with goals for of 11 and against 2!!!!

Id be amazed at £15m, but even that would reflect a tidy profit (Wiki says he cost £4.3m).

I like Wimmer, I thought he was excellent standing in for Vertonghen at the end of the other season, and I dont really understand why he just hasnt played since.

Clearly he wants a move to get games, cant blame him for that at all, so as long as we arent left short (unlikely with Davies in the squad) I really have no issue with him moving.

BUT, £15m does seem a little low in the current climate, so I agree some sort of sell on or add ons must be included.

If an experienced player like Evans is going for 18 then 15 for Wimmer doesn't seem too bad

Wimmer's an odd one - two years' ago he looked a capable deputy for Verts, then last year he barely played, though when he did I thought he looked slow and ponderous. Have no problem him leaving generally, but I thought we were one short at CB already and I doubt we'll be bringing two in

But Wimmer has a long career ahead of him, he is young,PL proven in a top team, never let Spurs down. 15 mill is a downright steal

He isn't really premiership proven - he had a run of games where he looked good the season before last and since then fell out of favor after a couple of bad games - his future is still very much in the balance.

Wimmer's an odd one - two years' ago he looked a capable deputy for Verts, then last year he barely played, though when he did I thought he looked slow and ponderous. Have no problem him leaving generally, but I thought we were one short at CB already and I doubt we'll be bringing two in

Make Davies the Wimmer replacement and sign Sessegnon to compete with Rose ;)

He isn't really premiership proven - he had a run of games where he looked good the season before last and since then fell out of favor after a couple of bad games - his future is still very much in the balance.
Of course he is proven. He came in and did very well, hardly looked out of place. It's not his fault that Verts came back and Poch rarely rotates the centre halfs.

I'm with you on this. Its difficult to say what his natural, 7-out-of-ten, type performance is given how little we've seen of him and how vastly different his performances have been in the couple spells he has played.

Of course he is proven. He came in and did very well, hardly looked out of place. It's not his fault that Verts came back and Poch rarely rotates the centre halfs.

We have different ideas of what proven means if you think he is proven off of a (small) run of games two seasons ago.

I rated his potential off of that run of games too and was suprised Poch chose to change the defense around last season whenever Vertonghen was out rather than relying on Wimmer again after the City game.

How much do you think Chambers or Holding would go for this summer if Arsenal deemed them surplus to requirements?

We have different ideas of what proven means if you think he is proven off of a (small) run of games two seasons ago.

I rated his potential off of that run of games too and was suprised Poch chose to change the defense around last season whenever Vertonghen was out rather than relying on Wimmer again after the City game.

How much do you think Chambers or Holding would go for this summer if Arsenal deemed them surplus to requirements?

Agreed. His run of games came in what was pretty much an otherwise unchanged line-up and a highly functional team.

You mention Chambers and Holding. How Wimmer would have done in their circumstances is very much an open question.

As you say Pochettino has preferred several other solutions over Wimmer and I'm not sure he's that highly rated by Pochettino.

Didn't Chambers cost 16 mill a few years ago after playing around 20 games for the Saints? And he was a kid.

Palace offered 16 mill for him earlier this summer but Arse turned it down as they wanted 25 mill

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/21/arsenal-crystal-palace-calum-chambers-transfer

So yes in this stupid market someone like Holding or Chambers would fetch over 20 mill

Unless someone goes in with a 20+ offer I'm not sure that Arsenals valuation can be seen as correct.

What we have there is a buying club valuing him at 16

Article I just saw said £15m rising to £20m. Which certainly isnt bad for a player of his standing.

Its just easy to imagine more when you see other deals this window.

That said - fair comment above - I am quite surprised we are even willing to deal with WBA after the way they acted with the Berahino saga.

Back