• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

keith Burkinshaw

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/happy-80th-keith-230615/

Second only to Sir Bill as our greatest manager and a really nice man, I was lucky enough to have spent time in his company on a couple of occasions. Happy Birthday Keith.

I make him third.

Arthur Rowe surely has to take the number two spot. Not only for winning consecutive titles (second and first divisions) in 49-50 and 50-51 but also for creating the Push & Run philosophy which inspired Billy Nick.

Burkinshaw is a worthy third, though. I loved that early 80's team. Happy birthday.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/happy-80th-keith-230615/

Second only to Sir Bill as our greatest manager and a really nice man, I was lucky enough to have spent time in his company on a couple of occasions. Happy Birthday Keith.
I thought Timmeh was our bestest manager ever? I loved watching Burkinshaw's 80's sides (even the 2nd division team of the late 70's gave us some treats like the 9-0 against Bristol Rovers and Don McAllister's diving header winner at a 50,000+ crowded Lane). Happy Day Burky!

I make him third.

Arthur Rowe surely has to take the number two spot. Not only for winning consecutive titles (second and first divisions) in 49-50 and 50-51 but also for creating the Push & Run philosophy which inspired Billy Nick.

Burkinshaw is a worthy third, though. I loved that early 80's team. Happy birthday.

Good point, I should have said managers whose teams I have watched.

I thought Timmeh was our bestest manager ever? I loved watching Burkinshaw's 80's sides (even the 2nd division team of the late 70's gave us some treats like the 9-0 against Bristol Rovers and Don McAllister's diving header winner at a 50,000+ crowded Lane). Happy Day Burky!

O yes I remember that game, funny enough that season was one of the best I have had following Spurs and traveling to grounds I had never been too before. I missed one game that season and that was away to Hull and we had some great trips.

Funnily enough I am at an age that the season of 1977-78 remains one of my most exciting memories of a whole season. I was at that game as well and the points from that game were crucial in us getting promoted back up at the first attempt. The last few games of that season were real nail biters. I think we lost the next couple of games, but got promoted in third place in the days before the play offs were introduced. Truly great season with a few crowds of over 50000 at some of our home games.
Got me feeling all nostalgic lol!

Funnily enough I am at an age that the season of 1977-78 remains one of my most exciting memories of a whole season. I was at that game as well and the points from that game were crucial in us getting promoted back up at the first attempt. The last few games of that season were real nail biters. I think we lost the next couple of games, but got promoted in third place in the days before the play offs were introduced. Truly great season with a few crowds of over 50000 at some of our home games.
Got me feeling all nostalgic lol!

Very true, we had done well all season but staggered on the run in winning only two of the last 8 games ( one of which was the Bolton game), we had to get at least a point in out last game at Southampton ( which we did) and only went up over Brighton ( who finished forth) on goal difference, talk about nearly throwing it away. :eek:

Adaptive and came up with a system that worked with his unbalanced squad, by dropping Roberts into the back four and playing Ossie deep he came up with the solution and fitted all his stars into a team, so different to the present manager, Happy Birthday Keith.

He was a gentleman, spoke to him a few times and got the feeling he was interested in the fans and not just rolling out the old pr rubbish, He believe the players owed the fans a lot, part of the club died when he left.

Hard as it is to acknowledge, I agree...

He was the first manager to have to deal with plc ownership and recognised the change in the nature of the game, hence his famous parting words. How many managers since have questioned the change compared to those who have become apologists (yes, I mean you Fergie)?

He was the first manager to have to deal with plc ownership and recognised the change in the nature of the game, hence his famous parting words.

Except, apparently, he never said those words.

IIRC, the journalist Ken Jones (Cliff's brother) claimed he was the one who said: "There used to be a football club over there", to which Burkinshaw replied "Aye" or similar.

As famous parting words go, "Aye" does not even qualify, on the grounds of being singular rather than plural, but we remember him fondly for the teams he built, not his eloquence.

"Aye" is certainly more pithy and memorable than these words from another former Spurs manager: "At this moment in time, I never said them words about them people".

Loved him as our manager and yet, I remember at the time feeling let down and a little angry with him when he decided to quit as I thought, he would win us the league.

Back