• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Keep/Sell - who?

Nah
Should have got Danny Ings for that much money
Or done more research into other players out there
He knew how to find the back of the net playing ad hoc with our disjointed squad. That in itself is a big deal, so why risk someone else where that is an unknown?

why risk someone else where that is an unknown?
They looked at Vinicius every day for a year and decided he wasn't good enough for whatever reason. Could be style, attitude, fitness, talent, hunger, mentality, anything. But they saw him every day so that is a pretty good assessment.
IF they had decided to keep him, some people would be saying Spurs should not have settled for him as an easy option.

He knew how to find the back of the net playing ad hoc with our disjointed squad. That in itself is a big deal, so why risk someone else where that is an unknown?
He did…. Playing against some very poor sides though
10 goals
3 vs Marine… so the lowest level club we have ever faced
2 at Home vs Ludogrets
1 at home vs Antwerp
2 at home vs Wolfsberger and 1 away vs them
His league goal came vs Villa and he played well

Personally I’d expect more for £30m but he would have needed more games to justify that too so you have to wonder wh6 he didn’t get those chances

he started 3 league games and came on in 6

To get rid of Lamela, Bale and Vinicius in one window and add no attacking players is one of the biggest pieces of squad negligence I’ve seen in a long long time.

I said it before a ball was kicked and the window was still open. Amazes me they let it happen.
2 we didn’t own
We did swap lamela for Gil and so far Gil has played as much as lamela would have… don’t forget lamela was broken regularly
I agree we needed more though

GK - Lloris, Gollini. I am worried about the strength behind those two. I would sell none.

CB - Dier, Romero, Sanchez, Rodon, Tanganga. I would sell none. If I was forced to sell, bye bye Rodon.

RB - Doherty, Emerson Royal. I would sell Doherty.

LB - Davies, Sessegnon, Reguilon. I would sell Sessegnon.

DM - Skipp, Hojberg, Winks. I would previously have sold Winks but I have seen something to grant him more time.

CM - Ndombele, Lo Celso, Dele Alli. I would sell Dele Alli.

Wingers - Moura, Bergwijn, Clarke, Bryan Gil. I would sell Clarke and loan out Bryan Gil. Gil is not physically ready for this league.

Forwards - Kane, Scarlett, Son. I would loan out Scarlett. We need another forward. Perhaps recall Parrott from loan. Tempted to sell Kane but we need bodies in this position.
It seems like you don't really think we should sell anyone.[emoji28]How do we improve in that case? No more chances, no more let's see if they can improve. A lot of them simply aren't of the required standard and should be moved on.

Bit early to say, a lot of players let us down in the Conference, but there have been positives in the league games.

Will see over the coming weeks who responds well to Conte on and off the pitch.

Wouldn't be against selling players I personally rate of they're not right for Conteball. Need to raise money, need to clear space in the squad. A lot of them have a lot to prove before January, but then it probably depends on who we get decent offers for, and Conte will have to keep working with the rest until the summer.

Hoping for one, maybe two, good signings in January. Striker, CB, central midfielder, right wing back would be my priorities, not necessarily in that order. Again as much about who we can do deals for really.

GK - Lloris, Gollini. I am worried about the strength behind those two. I would sell none.

CB - Dier, Romero, Sanchez, Rodon, Tanganga. I would sell none. If I was forced to sell, bye bye Rodon.

RB - Doherty, Emerson Royal. I would sell Doherty.

LB - Davies, Sessegnon, Reguilon. I would sell Sessegnon.

DM - Skipp, Hojberg, Winks. I would previously have sold Winks but I have seen something to grant him more time.

CM - Ndombele, Lo Celso, Dele Alli. I would sell Dele Alli.

Wingers - Moura, Bergwijn, Clarke, Bryan Gil. I would sell Clarke and loan out Bryan Gil. Gil is not physically ready for this league.

Forwards - Kane, Scarlett, Son. I would loan out Scarlett. We need another forward. Perhaps recall Parrott from loan. Tempted to sell Kane but we need bodies in this position.

Sorry to focus on just one point in what's a nuancd and good post.

Davies is a centre back now. He's our best option as the left sided centre back and it doesn't even seem close. Only left footer. Other options?

-Dier. Probably makes us weaker in two positions, central and left centre back. Makes Dier significantly worse on the ball as he'd be forced onto his left a lot more.

-Rodon. Has played on the left in a two, but in a three? One of those dragged off against Mura and seems like Conte is the next in what is becoming a list of managers not rating him for the current moment at the very least.

-Tanganga. Maybe. Has done OK as a left back in a four. The issues on the ball would be clear and worrying though, if he's even up to it defensively and that's still a question in need of an answer imo.

-Romero. No. We don't play our best centre back in what would probably be his worst role.

-Sanchez. Just no.

Davies is extremely important right now. Even if we signed another left footed (or clearly both footed) CB in January that's a clear improvement on Davies (and I think that will be difficult) we'd only have that player and no good backup/rotation option.

Romero injury has hit us quite hard I think, I think an injury yo Davies would be worse. He's a very good fit for this system, despite his rather obvious weaknesses as a CB he's a key player right now. He should be on the "do not sell, just don't" list, for now at least.

It seems like you don't really think we should sell anyone.
emoji28.png
How do we improve in that case? No more chances, no more let's see if they can improve. A lot of them simply aren't of the required standard and should be moved on.

Improving players. Creating a better functioning unit through a better drilled system. Getting more out of players. That's what Conte is supposed to be good at.

Afsoc lists several players he thinks we could or should sell, others to be loaned out.

No doubt we need transfer activity, in and out. How much and who is the question. The suggestions from Afsoc would leave 5-6 squad positions to fill. If we do and fill those with the right players over the next couple of windows that should improve its massively. But if Conte is unable to improve players already here we're in a ton of trouble. We can't just buy our way out of this.

Improving players. Creating a better functioning unit through a better drilled system. Getting more out of players. That's what Conte is supposed to be good at.

Afsoc lists several players he thinks we could or should sell, others to be loaned out.

No doubt we need transfer activity, in and out. How much and who is the question. The suggestions from Afsoc would leave 5-6 squad positions to fill. If we do and fill those with the right players over the next couple of windows that should improve its massively. But if Conte is unable to improve players already here we're in a ton of trouble. We can't just buy our way out of this.
Dude we are in a ton of trouble if you hadn't already noticed. [emoji28]

You can improve but you can improve only so far. The evidence is clear. Throw them all out with the bath water. [emoji1787]

In all seriousness if finishing 4th at best (on everyone's else's worst day) is what you want then sure keep them and see if they can be improved. You will find yourself disappointed.

I wonder what you guys are watching. We've played with more energy sure, but we still create virtual nothing, we still go entire halves without a shot on target. Conte is telling you himself he's not a miracle worker, he will players that's for and are of the required quality. We don't have enough of those.

Dude we are in a ton of trouble if you hadn't already noticed. [emoji28]

You can improve but you can improve only so far. The evidence is clear. Throw them all out with the bath water. [emoji1787]

In all seriousness if finishing 4th at best (on everyone's else's worst day) is what you want then sure keep them and see if they can be improved. You will find yourself disappointed.

I wonder what you guys are watching. We've played with more energy sure, but we still create virtual nothing, we still go entire halves without a shot on target. Conte is telling you himself he's not a miracle worker, he will players that's for and are of the required quality. We don't have enough of those.

Finishing fourth behind city, Liverpool and Chelsea is not something to be scoffed at.
Utd are a mess, mainly from non football decisions impacting on the football.
Arsenal are still trying to come to terms with the changes in football since wenger was a pioneer and they were a big club.
I heard this morning on the radio that Everton had spent half a billion pounds on transfers in five years. Not sure i heard this right.
The top three are in a league of their own and with money to burn, we are not in a position to compete with them, and neither is anyone else.

Dude we are in a ton of trouble if you hadn't already noticed.
emoji28.png

You can improve but you can improve only so far. The evidence is clear. Throw them all out with the bath water.
emoji1787.png

I really don't get what speculation about what me and others want in a clearly dismissive way adds to the conversation. What are you trying to do with comments like this? This the level of discourse you prefer?

We've not been great. We've been not great without Lo Celso.

I'm not against adding more quality through transfers. But I also know there's a limit to how much we can spend.

When Conte won the PL with Chelsea he had several players that weren't that highly rated performing really well. Or for another example, before Tichel took over Chelsea they seemed happy to get rid of Rudiger, now he's a key player for them. When Pochettino took over for us. Etc. Etc.

I really don't get what speculation about what me and others want in a clearly dismissive way adds to the conversation. What are you trying to do with comments like this? This the level of discourse you prefer?

We've not been great. We've been not great without Lo Celso.

I'm not against adding more quality through transfers. But I also know there's a limit to how much we can spend.

When Conte won the PL with Chelsea he had several players that weren't that highly rated performing really well. Or for another example, before Tichel took over Chelsea they seemed happy to get rid of Rudiger, now he's a key player for them. When Pochettino took over for us. Etc. Etc.

I'm not being dismissive just a bit pithy. Maybe it's not coming through well in text. My issue is for too long we keep hoping for the best and not looking at these players through an objective lens. They are not of the required standard and Conte alone isn't going to change that. Swapping out 5 squad players isn't going to change that.

Rudiger is an interesting example but Rudiger was always a better defender than say Dier or Sanchez, they were just managed by a bit of a clown in Lampard. To say Conte won the PL with unrated players is alsoa bit of a revionsist take, just 2 seasons previous they had won the PL. If those are players who are unrated what does that make ours? [emoji1787]

I think I'm just realistic. We barely have a functioning 11 let alone a squad. It needs work and we need to stop hoping for the magic panaca that will fix all the ills. The only thing that will fix the squad is replacing the broken parts and there are a lot of them. Im not saying finishing 4th behind the the title lot is a bad thing I'm saying that West Ham are far more likely to do it this season if we go under the false hope that secretly we have a great side.

I'm not being dismissive just a bit pithy. Maybe it's not coming through well in text. My issue is for too long we keep hoping for the best and not looking at these players through an objective lens. They are not of the required standard and Conte alone isn't going to change that. Swapping out 5 squad players isn't going to change that.

Rudiger is an interesting example but Rudiger was always a better defender than say Dier or Sanchez, they were just managed by a bit of a clown in Lampard. To say Conte won the PL with unrated players is alsoa bit of a revionsist take, just 2 seasons previous they had won the PL. If those are players who are unrated what does that make ours? [emoji1787]

I think I'm just realistic. We barely have a functioning 11 let alone a squad. It needs work and we need to stop hoping for the magic panaca that will fix all the ills. The only thing that will fix the squad is replacing the broken parts and there are a lot of them. Im not saying finishing 4th behind the the title lot is a bad thing I'm saying that West Ham are far more likely to do it this season if we go under the false hope that secretly we have a great side.

Pithy is fine. If you have to make the assumption that other Spurs fans don't want more success for the club for your argument to be pithy that's more of a pity than anything.

I don't think Conte is a magic panacea. I think he's one of the best managers in the world capable of improving players and making flawed players play better through drilling an effective system into the team. In that process some players will do much better, some will fall to the side and will have to be replaced.

If anything you seem to think of the transfer market as a magic panacea. Just sell everyone currently not good enough and buy better players. If I saw this as a viable solution I would be all for it, however I don't think we have enough money to actually succeed with that strategy.

We need signings, but we also need to make some of the players already here perform at a higher level more consistently so that we can focus our transfer activity on some key areas/players.

Not looking to further sidetrack this discussion into a Chelsea one. Victor Moses as a wing back though. That's what Conte is capable of.

So priorities in the January window...

Those that look like they can perform under Conte:

Lloris/?
Romero/Tanganga...Dier/Romero...Davies/?
(with Sanchez as an injury back up)
Royal/?..[two from Skipp/Hojbjerg/Winks]...Reguilon/Sessegnon
[two from Son/Lucas/Bergwijn/Gil/Lo Celso]
Kane/?​

Sell Ndombele, Dele, Gollini, Doherty and Rodon (the last three only if replacements can be found) if Conte doesn't want them.
Buy GK (low prioirty), LCB, RWB and CF (all high priority), and perhaps a CAM if Conte wants us to set up a little differently?

Back