• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Juande Ramos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spurs7891

Jermaine Jenas
You can say all you want about Ramos' record in the league. But Ramos was the only Spurs manager during the PL era to take all the Cups seriously. He did really well to win the League Cup but with more luck could have won the FA Cup and UEFA Cup as well ! We were very unfortunate to face ManU away in the FA Cup Round 4 and was unlucky to lose in penalty shootouts to PSV in the Round of 16 of the UEFA Cup.

Looking at our league results under Ramos and Cup results under Pochettino, maybe we can no longer hope to do well both in the league and Cups. Managers who are good in the league (Redknapp,AVB,Pochettino) seems to be shyte in the Cups while managers who are good in the Cups(Ramos) seems to be shyte in the league. Maybe we should consider having 2 managers for the league and the Cups !

carlingcupfinal460276.jpg

article-0-006C9B6C00000578-636_634x422.jpg

Really wish we can win a trophy and celebrate like this again !

You can say all you want about Ramos' record in the league. But Ramos was the only Spurs manager during the PL era to take all the Cups seriously. He did really well to win the League Cup but with more luck could have won the FA Cup and UEFA Cup as well ! We were very unfortunate to face ManU away in the FA Cup Round 4 and was unlucky to lose in penalty shootouts to PSV in the Round of 16 of the UEFA Cup.

Looking at our league results under Ramos and Cup results under Pochettino, maybe we can no longer hope to do well both in the league and Cups. Managers who are good in the league (Redknapp,AVB,Pochettino) seems to be shyte in the Cups while managers who are good in the Cups(Ramos) seems to be shyte in the league. Maybe we should consider having 2 managers for the league and the Cups !
That is a little unfair on Poch.
It's not that Poch doesn't care about the cups after all he took us to Wembley last season and was unlucky in the FA cup this season. But we are in an extraordinary position of being in with a shout of winning the PL with our 2 major rivals out of any other competition. Our squad is not ready yet to be competing on multiple fronts. So effectively he prioritized the league over the Europa league. As disappointed as I was about this as I was last week, in the cold light of day I realise he has done what is in the best interests of the club. But in future seasons I hope he builds vs squad capable of competing for multiple trophies. But no one will care if we win the league.

That is a little unfair on Poch.
It's not that Poch doesn't care about the cups after all he took us to Wembley last season and was unlucky in the FA cup this season. But we are in an extraordinary position of being in with a shout of winning the PL with our 2 major rivals out of any other competition. Our squad is not ready yet to be competing on multiple fronts. So effectively he prioritized the league over the Europa league. As disappointed as I was about this as I was last week, in the cold light of day I realise he has done what is in the best interests of the club. But in future seasons I hope he builds vs squad capable of competing for multiple trophies. But no one will care if we win the league.

Ofcourse no one will care about the Cups if we win the league title for the first time since 1961 ! It would be worth all the sacrifice and disappointments we have gone through over the years. But it is totally different if we don't win it !

I think that Ramos would have made similar decisions to Poch if he has ever had us in a title challenge.

I think that Ramos would have made similar decisions to Poch if he has ever had us in a title challenge.

Playing a weak team, with Fazio and Wimmer in defence, at home against Arsenal in the League Cup, in September ? Don't think so. Remember, we beat Arsenal 5-1 in the League Cup semi finals under Ramos ! In contrast, Pochettino's team selections in the Cups have been uninspiring.

The problem is Pochettino's team selections are very limited as he chose not to strengthen the team in January. Buying an experienced striker and a defensive midfielder would have helped us greatly instead of relying on inexperienced youngsters. I think Pochettino is obsessed with playing youngsters too much.

The way I see it is that from the start of the season up until now if I had the option to choose, between a 33% chance to win the league, and a 33% chance to win the UEFA cup. I would every single time without hesitation pick the league.

Due to several factors (which I wont debate/reason over) I believe as a club we were now in such a position and Poch, Levy & co aimed aimed high. Even failure against Leicester will have in it an echo of glory. ;)

Playing a weak team, with Fazio and Wimmer in defence, at home against Arsenal in the League Cup, in September ? Don't think so. Remember, we beat Arsenal 5-1 in the League Cup semi finals under Ramos ! In contrast, Pochettino's team selections in the Cups have been uninspiring.

The problem is Pochettino's team selections are very limited as he chose not to strengthen the team in January. Buying an experienced striker and a defensive midfielder would have helped us greatly instead of relying on inexperienced youngsters. I think Pochettino is obsessed with playing youngsters too much.
If only it was that simple.

The way I see it is that from the start of the season up until now if I had the option to choose, between a 33% chance to win the league, and a 33% chance to win the UEFA cup. I would every single time without hesitation pick the league.

Due to several factors (which I wont debate/reason over) I believe as a club we were now in such a position and Poch, Levy & co aimed aimed high. Even failure against Leicester will have in it an echo of glory. ;)

We have not had a 33% chance of winning the UEFA Cup at any stage this season. We won't even have got into double figures.

The LC final was my 3rd best Spurs-supporting moment ever, and the semi-final probably 4th (91 final and semi being 1st and 2nd). It was absolutely amazing that day.

I'm not sure Ramos was completely a cup coach. His league record with Seville was strong too. I think he just focused on that in his first season with us as a quick win, to buy himself some time to overhaul the unfit, entrenched and mentally weak squad.

We all know what went wrong, but his style and intentions were very similar to Poch's. He just lacked Poch's people skills (communication and political sensitivity) to pull it off.

He is a professional not a fan. He makes choices based on what he feels is best for the club. Us fans are too tied up with our love of the club to make impartial decisions. The only disappointment is for the fans who made the trip to Dortmund.

We have not had a 33% chance of winning the UEFA Cup at any stage this season. We won't even have got into double figures.

Yeah you're right! Thus it makes even more sense to better our odds to win the league. In my view we're not 1/3 likely to win the league either, the numbers were more as an rhetorical example.

One could argue that aiming high would mean going for every single trophy possible, but aiming high in a smart way is in my view the shrewd choice here.

Yeah you're right! Thus it makes even more sense to better our odds to win the league. In my view we're not 1/3 likely to win the league either, the numbers were more as an rhetorical example.

One could argue that aiming high would mean going for every single trophy possible, but aiming high in a smart way is in my view the shrewd choice here.

I think that we currently do have about a 1 in 3 chance of winning the league. Leicester are obviously favourites but we are best placed to benefit should they faulter.

I'm locking this thread. There are already several threads with similar discussions around team selection and prioritising different competitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back