• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Juan Mata

To put a positive spin on this for us - Mata will obviously improve Man Utd but they would have been top 4 challengers anyway, with him they are more likely to take points off Liverpool and Everton. Utd even with Mata still have big problems in defence. We still have to play Chelsea and he has been their star performer against us, as we have played Utd home and away already we won't be facing him again. So this could turn out to be ok for us. Well here's hoping anyway [-o<.

To put a positive spin on this for us - Mata will obviously improve Man Utd but they would have been top 4 challengers anyway, with him they are more likely to take points off Liverpool and Everton. Utd even with Mata still have big problems in defence. We still have to play Chelsea and he has been their star performer against us, as we have played Utd home and away already we won't be facing him again. So this could turn out to be ok for us. Well here's hoping anyway [-o<.

For this season, maybe. But I'm disappointed that Chelsea have taken such a shortsighted view of things, and think that in the medium term this hurts evryone...barring United of course (I'm not accusing you of being shortsighted btw, I know that you're just trying to spin for positives).

I think it's unbelievably dumb business by Chelsea to be quite honest. There is a very real possibility that United may miss out on CL qualification sparking Rooney van Persie etc to want to leave and possibly set United back years. Instead they have just handed them a huge lifeline that will mean United have a great opportunity to remain in the top 4 this season and strengthen significantly in the summer with the lure of CL football again.

I just cannot fathom what macaron sanctioned that it would be ok for Chelsea to sell united a player of Matas talents when they are down and struggling. I guess it's Mourinho. Idiot.

I think it's unbelievably dumb business by Chelsea to be quite honest. There is a very real possibility that United may miss out on CL qualification sparking Rooney van Persie etc to want to leave and possibly set United back years. Instead they have just handed them a huge lifeline that will mean United have a great opportunity to remain in the top 4 this season and strengthen significantly in the summer with the lure of CL football again.

I just cannot fathom what macaron sanctioned that it would be ok for Chelsea to sell united a player of Matas talents when they are down and struggling. I guess it's Mourinho. Idiot.

I think Mourinho has fallen into the same pattern that eventually led his Real Madrid teams to lose 3 CL Semis: his favouring over brawn and pace over the extreme guile that Mata delivered almost always meant that at the very top levels his teams struggled against a lot of park the bus teams, plus those who could go toe-to-toe with them but who knew to not get sucked into the counter-attacking game he often seems to prefer. By simply just letting them have the ball for key periods in the game. One journo in Spain said it often showed 'a lack of football'.

He might, might, just edge the PL as they may get a fair few scrappy 1-0 wins, but with the weapons that a lot of the big clubs in Europe have, the Chelski defence may not be able to use the same gameplan in the CL. A gameplan mostly geared to playing as a team that is the underdog. With Chelski's rep, stature etc those tactics that really help a side mostly billed as an underdog will only go so far imo.

Ultimately Chelski will rue the sale imo, but big politics were also the reason for the sale imo

Lol. Maybe it's just me being simple minded but I don't understand their logic.

perhaps they have their eyes on several players at Spurs/Liverpool and hope that by helping United finish top 4 above us both it'll make their life easier in the summer.

paranoid? me?

8-[

Couldn't agree more. This is what I meant by shortsighted. For the first time in decades, United are on the deck, to use boxing as a metaphor. It's in everyones interest, surely, that they stay there. Selling them a player of Mata's quality would not seem conducive to that aim......I just can't figure it out. There must surely have been other options. What have Chelsea gained, bar the (again) short-term potential for United to take points off their rivals? There's a much bigger picture than that here.....

Couldn't agree more. This is what I meant by shortsighted. For the first time in decades, United are on the deck, to use boxing as a metaphor. It's in everyones interest, surely, that they stay there. Selling them a player of Mata's quality would not seem conducive to that aim......I just can't figure it out. There must surely have been other options. What have Chelsea gained, bar the (again) short-term potential for United to take points off their rivals? There's a much bigger picture than that here.....

Or actually they would rather make United knock us or Liverpool out of 4th so thhey can pick us off instead..?8-[

Or actually they would rather make United knock us or Liverpool out of 4th so thhey can pick us off instead..?8-[

I don't buy that Chelsea would seriously prioritise targetting us or Liverpool over Utd, in terms of gaining advantage for themselves somehow!

Last edited:
There must've been a secret deal behind this? Maybe it involves Rooney going to Chelsea if United fail to qualify for next seasons Champs League?

We (Mata apart) have better playersthat would surely be easier to handpick, no?

We also have a recent record of refusing to sell to Chelsea. Add in the Willian fiasco, I'd hardly think they would be expecting a warm welcome in response to any enquiries they may make to us.

I'm still thinking it's a case of Chelsea don't want to see us or Liverpool up there, because if either of us make it we will likely improve further and become more trouble. Keeping the status quo works well for them as UTD will bounce back regardless. It's better for Chelsea if UTD bounce back now than next year when Liverpool or us could be making it a real 5 horse race.

I'm still thinking it's a case of Chelsea don't want to see us or Liverpool up there, because if either of us make it we will likely improve further and become more trouble. Keeping the status quo works well for them as UTD will bounce back regardless. It's better for Chelsea if UTD bounce back now than next year when Liverpool or us could be making it a real 5 horse race.

im down with this logic

Not sure of the details, but I remember reading that when Jose was Madrid manager, the fans/press were clambering for Mata, and Jose's reaction was nobody tells me who to buy. When he became Chelsea manager, if Mata played well for him, the Madrid fans/press would be proved right, and hence Jose's ego would not allow that. If you follow this thinking through, perhaps he thinks Moyes is that **** that this is his best bet to not be proved wrong? There is an article in the Guardian basically suggesting that Jose came in, told Mata he wouldn't feature, and as Mata and Roman are good mates, Abramovich said he could move in January if he wasn't played.

He comes across as such a likeable guy. Would love to have had him at Spurs. His personality never suited Chelsea

ff09cbfbee0a1fa5c60a44a4dedc47938f9b1944a1e65fa13fd4e7aaaece42c1_large

Back