• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Juan Foyth

That's a dangerous assumption. While some players can happily switch between FB and CB, some definitely can't. I don't think anyone in their right mind would have played Michael Dawson at FB, for example. On the other hand, there are utility players like Dier who can do a job wherever you stick them -- a function of discipline, awareness and footballing nous, no doub.t I've not seen enough of Foyth to have any idea which type he is. At the very least, a modern FB needs to have a turn of pace and be quick on the turn.

I don't think so, actually (that it's a dangerous assumption). Would be the case if it was Carter Vickers but not Foyth. I think your question whether he has a turn of pace was amply answered by his Ledley-esque tackle on Arnautovic yesterday. He easily made up three yards in that sprint. As for comparing Michael Dawson with Foyth in terms of footballing capability is like comparing Nkoudou with Ginola...

Of course the proof of pudding and all that... but I am pretty sure that the young Argentinian would be comfortable anywhere across the back four and even in defensive midfield... such is his comfort on the ball and his spatial awareness.

Very good game and looked calm and composed in nearly everything he did, still only 20 and i hope we see a lot more of him over the next few months.

Good question and one we were discussing during the game, he obviously likes to bring the ball out of defence and he seems to be confident enough in his ability to do that.
He certainly has the tools to be a good ball playing centre-half but those same attributes often translate well to a DM position IMO, Dier being a good example. And considering he does like to dribble a bit having another line of defence behind you is always a good thing.

Anyway that match could be his breakthrough performance to get him more first team minutes.

Last edited:
He certainly has the tools to be a good ball playing centre-half but those same attributes often translate well to a DM position IMO, Dier being a good example. And considering he does like to dribble a bit having another line of defence behind you is always a good thing.

Anyway that match could be his breakthrough performance to get him more first team minutes.

Lets hope so. I do agree with your thoughts on the DM position as well.

So what, anytime we get a good ball-playing CB he'd be a candidate for DM and we'd be looking for a new CB? How about he's good where he's currently playing?

He seemed much more composed than Harley. Like Verts looks when he's in the team.

Exactly my thought that he put me in mind of Verts. Like when he went forward and looked arrogant. Needs to work on the sort of long pass Verts and Toby can do. He's definitely a keeper.

So what, anytime we get a good ball-playing CB he'd be a candidate for DM and we'd be looking for a new CB? How about he's good where he's currently playing?

No one is saying that he should play as a DM are they?, the point is that he LOOKS like he has the ability to play in CM and at his age (20) players are still progressing. Nothing wrong with having another string to his bow and as he gets older it may make him a better player if he can understand the skills needed to be a better all round talent.

His thoughts on where and how to pass are promising and the variation he employs is good too. Not immediately predictable as to how he'll react when pressured.

Absolutely mahvelous! His ability on the ball is just outstanding. Unlike Harley, when he sees an opening he pushes the ball forward and is always looking for the forward pass, rather than the sideways or backwards one. And pretty fast too!

No one is saying that he should play as a DM are they?, the point is that he LOOKS like he has the ability to play in CM and at his age (20) players are still progressing. Nothing wrong with having another string to his bow and as he gets older it may make him a better player if he can understand the skills needed to be a better all round talent.

Looked excellent on the ball and rapid in recovery.
He stepped into midfield and looked great.

Who the feck is this Harley I keep seeing? Have I missed a nickname, or is it more autocorrect going on?!!!

Back