• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Juan Foyth

Dont get me wrong, injuries are effecting the team in a massive way - have been all season.

I dont think we have once played to our potential/usual standard.

There are issues in the side, but IMHO - we arent playing badly. We have only been well beaten once in the league IMO. And otherwise have an exceptional record.

At Palace we were solid, controlled, and had them pinned back for virtually the whole game. Lacking a bit of cutting edge, absolutely, but for me I was never nervous we wouldnt get the win. We were very good - albeit not eye catching.

And yet, how much have we actually self destructed?

P 12, W9, D3, L2. For 26, Against 15. Won 5 of our last 6 in the league.

Its not always pretty, and I absolutely agree we can play a lot better - but the idea we arent doing well is silly.

We are doing BLOODY well despite this.

We have ridden our luck a bit, but Saturday was not a game where I felt the result was in danger at all.
Yep, and that despite also the impacts of fixture congestion, playing away from home, post WC fatigue leading to injuries to key players and others struggling for form, constant changes to line-ups, poor atmosphere at Wembley and having to cope with the frustrations of delays to NWHL.

We are doing well, yes. But playing well?? Def not. Or at least, not to the standards we've been accustomed to for last couple of seasons. Though I do acknowledge the World Cup and injuries are probably a large part of this.

Is it easier to transition from doing well to playing well, or from playing well to doing well?
Pragmatically, it's obviously better to do well. And surely we can have more thanblind hope that our coach, returning players and a slightly less congested schedule can bring us to play better.

He's been excellent, but his lack of experience concerns me against the antics of a team like Chelsea. They'll be doing what they do and falling over all over the pitch - Foyth needs to make sure he's far enough away from the player for the ref to see there was no contact and then add another foot for good measure.

Indeed. I hope Sanchez is back for the Chelsea game. That'd be a bit too far to soon for Foyth considering the players he'd be up against.

True dat, fair point.

We are doing well, yes. But playing well?? Def not. Or at least, not to the standards we've been accustomed to for last couple of seasons. Though I do acknowledge the World Cup and injuries are probably a large part of this.

My frustration at the "self-destruct" is probably more aimed at Watford and the Champions League games. Inter and PSV were very tough to swallow. Games that should've meant we'd be in a far more comfortable position and could possibly even rest a couple against Inter at home to focus on the big games of Chelsea and Arsenal.
Watford still bugs me. And that sitter Lamela missed against City. But as far as resting players against Inter, even if we had won in Italy and beaten PSV in Holland, we'd still have needed a draw against Inter at home to ensure we went through. So no rest for that game. Perhaps the Barca one, but I suspect that would have been one everyone would have wanted to play in, regardless of whether we were through or not.

And yet, how much have we actually self destructed?

P 12, W9, D3, L2. For 26, Against 15. Won 5 of our last 6 in the league.

Its not always pretty, and I absolutely agree we can play a lot better - but the idea we arent doing well is silly.

We are doing BLOODY well despite this.

We have ridden our luck a bit, but Saturday was not a game where I felt the result was in danger at all.
I'm struggling with your maths a bit here ;)....

I think we are doing pretty well considering our injury situation and the number of players we had going late into the World Cup.
There has been a lot of noise about how good Liverpool and Chelsea have been and how Arsenal are 'resurgent' and yet we find ourselves -3, -1 and +3 points compared to those three clubs. I don't feel as though we have been particularly 'lucky' in any individual game this season. I think we have probably deserved to win all of the games that we did. In any game that you have a 1 goal lead going into the last 10 minutes you are going to come under pressure, I think the only thing we have been a little guilty of is not scoring on our breakaway chances to give us some breathing space in those games (I think both Lamela and Son wasted good opportunities to put the game to bed on Saturday for example).

I don't think any of the other top 6 clubs would've done as well as us if you had taken the equivalent players out of their teams this season. The fact that we are still winning games despite having to constantly make significant changes speaks well to our coaching team and the unity in our squad IMO.

Yeah fair point - I miss read the table as I was typing. You got me...

P 12, W9, D0, L3. For 26, Against 15. Won 5 of our last 6 in the league.

Otherwise I agree. I think we are doing brilliantly, all things considered.

RE riding our luck, thats not to say we have been lucky - rather we have pushed our luck with some defensive situations. We have been in the habit of getting caught all at sea and getting away with it, last ditch save/tackle...

6 stitches: Tottenham player picks up facial injury in national training, now ability to play in doubt

Tottenham defender Juan Foyth was pretty much nailed on to start for Argentina tonight against Mexico.

Injuries to other players and a desire to give the youngster a go, had led the Argentine media to become convinced. Patterns in the national team training then backed up their belief further.

For the 20 year old it would be another big step forward in his career. Now becoming more prominent with Tottenham, a debut for his country would be a further boost at such a young age.

But, there’s a problem.

TyC Sports, one of the biggest publications of their kind in Argentina, report Foyth has picked up a facial injury. He collided with Gremio’s Walter Kannemann in training and took a blow to his cheekbone.

The resulting injury required six stitches, explain TyC.

It’s now unsure if he’s able to play, and the report explains that should Foyth have to pull out then he’ll be replaced by Sevilla’s Gabriel Mercado in the team tonight.

Foyth and Erik Lamela are both pictured with dressings on facial wounds.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/tottenham...ational-team-training-now-ability-play-doubt/

Talk about ups and downs, giving away penalties, match winning goals, facial injury, man of the match.
You could say he's been back and Foyth.

Hehehe, don't get it started, it'll go on foythever.

What a couple of months for the lad! No outlook really for even playing a single match, to suddenly playing a lot, scoring, getting man of the match awards, getting his first match for his country. Wow. Long may it last!

Hehehe, don't get it started, it'll go on foythever.

What a couple of months for the lad! No outlook really for even playing a single match, to suddenly playing a lot, scoring, getting man of the match awards, getting his first match for his country. Wow. Long may it last!
Even got man of the match on his international debut.

Back