• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

JT - Captain. Leader. Legend. Qunt

what is worse, doing cocaine or mouthing racist chants. Mutu was treated like a criminal and fined and sacked. I actually think being a racist is worse than doing drugs... just my opinion.

Definitely, Chelsea only sanctioned Mutu in such a manner because doping and recreational drugs have been a recurring issue across all sports (rather obviously in the case of recreational drugs, seeing as a significant proportion of society and especially young males, indulge in them), that is unilaterally seen as unacceptable and can be confirmed by a scientific test. This meant they were under duress to make a big, bold move and to get rid of him from a wide range of parties (safe in the knowledge that, having contravened his contract Mutu was liable to being sacked and owing Chelsea about £14m).

John Terry will never get this treatment, the situation is a lot more sketchy both in terms of the actual events and the required sanctions, plus technically he couldn't be proven in a court of law to have done anything wrong. This is where I think Jason Roberts has articulated very pertinent point as to the funding of Kick It Out, which is expanded by the BBC, especially in these paragraphs:

So is Roberts justified in targeting Kick It Out, an organisation that employs only seven staff and in the 2010-11 season had an annual budget equivalent to a fortnight of John Terry's wages?

Roberts's concerns about Kick It Out's influence and neutrality stem from the same place - its funding.
In 2010-11 the organisation had a budget of £453,913 but £330,000 of that came from the Football Association, Premier League and Professional Footballers' Association, so there are legitimate questions about its willingness to bite the hand that feeds it.

In every other field of society, there are independent commissions for this sort of thing who can directly hand out punishments without even talking to the FA. Undoubtedly, their neutrality is still up for debate (the IPCC one of many particularly ambiguous cases), but the fact that we're talking about football here somehow makes the debate less serious, as if 'it's just a game' and so shouldn't have to meet up to the same bureaucratic standards that must be met virtually everywhere else in the 'real world'.

It doesn't take a genius to realise that Luis Suarez is a far more palatable target for a heavy sanction than John Terry from the FA's point of view - the former is a new player from a culture in which simulation and racism seem (or have been made to seem) to play a bigger part in the game than over here, while the latter has 78 caps for the only team the FA has direct responsibility for and is generally seen in football as a highly influential and important player for club and country (irrespective of what posters on this board may feel). Rapists have been, in the past, given light sanctions because of their home culture condoning such behaviour, the case of Suarez is analogous to this, his plea was structured along cultural lines. John Terry had no such plea, he was proven to a very small amount of doubt to have used a culturally unambiguous racial attack, yet he received just a 4 game ban to Suarez's 8. If Kick It Out or some other independent body were in charge of sanctioning, would this really have happened!?

Corruption and a lack of rigour are poisons which afflict other nations much more than the UK both internal and external to football, but if the FA want to truly lead the way in fairness, they cannot simply lambast FIFA and other Football Associations for their lack of progress without looking to simultaneously improve themselves along the lines of transparency and independent scrutiny that the rest of our society is (or at least is purported to be) built upon. Unfortunately I expect that the only way the FA would be pushed down such a path is by encouragement from some superordinate body, however we all know that FIFA are the biggest crooks of the lot and the government probably consider football a fairly trivial target for their funds and attention.

what is worse, doing cocaine or mouthing racist chants. Mutu was treated like a criminal and fined and sacked. I actually think being a racist is worse than doing drugs... just my opinion.

No-one can really argue if thats how you feel but that is just not right at all.

I´m almost disappointed that he will not play tomorrow. He ALWAYS buckles under pressure at the Lane, would be quite satisfying hearing the abuse he would have gotten

I´m almost disappointed that he will not play tomorrow. He ALWAYS buckles under pressure at the Lane, would be quite satisfying hearing the abuse he would have gotten

I wish he buckled under the pressure last year, we'd of won.

Di Matteo makes me sick. His refusal to answer questions regarding Terry is a joke. Wouldn't even say whether he is still club captain. A year it took for an apology from Terry and people are meant to just accept that? Disgraceful

The arrogance and hypocrisy surrounding the club's handling of all this is a joke. They are meant to be fronting a kick racism out campaign, yet they wouldn't make public the punishment they placed upon a player charged with using racist language.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/02/chelsea-fan-ban-racist-abuse

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-ban-after-filming-himself-yelling-abuse.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/racism-in-football-chelsea-vow-to-ban-1337139

They are quick to sit on the moral high ground in these cases, but as far as their captain is concerned, they can turn a blind eye.

Pathetic club. I'd hope if something like this happened at Spurs, the club would have enough backbone to get rid of the player, regardless of their status

Last edited:
Di Matteo makes me sick. His refusal to answer questions regarding Terry is a joke. Wouldn't even say whether he is still club captain. A year it took for an apology from Terry and people are meant to just accept that? Disgraceful

The arrogance and hypocrisy surrounding the club's handling of all this is a joke. They are meant to be fronting a kick racism out campaign, yet they wouldn't make public the punishment they placed upon a player charged with using racist language.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/02/chelsea-fan-ban-racist-abuse

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-ban-after-filming-himself-yelling-abuse.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/racism-in-football-chelsea-vow-to-ban-1337139

They are quick to sit on the moral high ground in these cases, but as far as their captain is concerned, they can turn a blind eye.

Pathetic club. I'd hope if something like this happened at Spurs, the club would have enough backbone to get rid of the player, regardless of their status

What about this then ? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nd-Spurs-star-Ledley-Kings-jibe-arrested.html

I think that its a strange comparison. Some recreational drug taking is fairly harmless and any harm is to the user. I'm not sure you can make a similar case for recreational racism.

You can't. I'm saying racism is racism and is worse than what Mutu did. He did recreational drugs, does that make him a bad guy? Not in my opinion. JT is a bad guy, yes in my opinion. As said before I would much rather be a drug taker and be sacked for that than be known as a racist. Racist however should be sacked also and I would be in my company if I was caught. JT should have been sacked

You can't. I'm saying racism is racism and is worse than what Mutu did. He did recreational drugs, does that make him a bad guy? Not in my opinion. JT is a bad guy, yes in my opinion. As said before I would much rather be a drug taker and be sacked for that than be known as a racist. Racist however should be sacked also and I would be in my company if I was caught. JT should have been sacked

Chelsea felt Mutu was dispensable, whereas the lack of action taken against Terry by Chelsea shows they feel he is indispensable. It really is that simple. If Mutu had said what Terry said to Ferdinand, he would have been shown the door.

Chelsea felt Mutu was dispensable, whereas the lack of action taken against Terry by Chelsea shows they feel he is indispensable. It really is that simple. If Mutu had said what Terry said to Ferdinand, he would have been shown the door.

WALOB, he has been fantastic more often than not under extreme provacation, to see he buckles is total gonad*s

WALOB, he has been fantastic more often than not under extreme provacation, to see he buckles is total gonad*s

I agree. And that is the nature of the football fan and why I get impatient sometimes, people don't call the facts, they call what they wish they'd seen. I think it was last season, could have been the one before though, Terry rose above everything we as fans threw at him and appeared stronger for it.

I agree. And that is the nature of the football fan and why I get impatient sometimes, people don't call the facts, they call what they wish they'd seen. I think it was last season, could have been the one before though, Terry rose above everything we as fans threw at him and appeared stronger for it.

He was 100% MoM last year in the 1-1 draw at xmas time

He was 100% MoM last year in the 1-1 draw at xmas time
That's the one I was thinking of, loathe him or loathe him, I wish some of our players over the years had his will to rise above things.

I reckon Ganter was getting mixed up with Campbell, now there was a player who let the crowd get to him.

Terry seems to thrive on the hate.

Without it he'd just be a racist version of the Ginger* Pele.

* No gingers were hurt in the making of this post.

Back