• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Josh Onomah

The club focus now has changed to developing genuine players rather than the odd gem and it pays for itself that way. Add innwprld class talent like Kane and world class youth signings like Alli and Dier (not debating what isneprld class on the thread) and it really doesn't stack up in business terms massively

The academy doesnt stack up in business terms? I've no idea what the running costs are but I'd have thought that the transfer fees more than pay for it, and then the odd Kane/Ledley are the icing on the cake

I can go through the following years but I think that you will find the same story. I think that the investment in the academy has already paid off, not every academy player has to go on to play for the first team to be good business. I take it that you accept that your one or two players comment was wrong and that the vast majority of them go on to have careers as professional footballers.

The maths has to fall down somewhere. Maybe our academy is just incredibly productive and others aren't close. Again, if there's 1840 pros in England (92 clubs * 20 players each), if all clubs are producing 123 players per year and assuming a 15 year career (123 * 15 =1840), then England produces enough players on its own. Factor in overseas players coming here and its far too many.

I haven't checked the age range of those c.30 players you listed but its at least 3 years given Bentaleb is 22 and Parrett is 25. 1-2 is too low but obviously if many clubs at all produced 30 players every 3 years then England would have more players than it needs....and its too late for me to get into more detailed numbers!

The club focus now has changed to developing genuine players rather than the odd gem and it pays for itself that way. Add innwprld class talent like Kane and world class youth signings like Alli and Dier (not debating what isneprld class on the thread) and it really doesn't stack up in business terms massively

Are you saying we no longer need an academy? Genuine question.

Hey - I pick at his work-rate in the same way that I would say that Lloris can't kick, Janssen is slow, Lamela needs to toughen up etc etc. Just because someone plays for Spurs doesnt mean that we should be blind to their failings - its a common thing though for fans of any club to be particularly blind to weaknesses of young players. Agree about your comment re Poch and work-rate, though if you look at the comments which Poch made when Onomah went to Villa it was along the lines of 'he's got a pile of natural ability and could be a no 8, 7, 10, 11 etc but he needs to want it'...though given it was in Poch-English, it was very open to interpretation! I'll see if I can dig it out

spurspinter1's post at 806pm was just child-ish and ignoring what I'd said about Onomah completely. Similarly his one which followed-up after that suggests he's just some troll or child who GG could do without

I like this new 2 year rule as well, partly because if someone simply hasnt played much for 2 years then they need to get out there and prove themselves and play in some competitive games. Someone should have been instilled with the right mentality as you say after 2 years, so then going and proving that makes sense

That still makes it sound like work rate is an actual thing Onamah has known problems with, but fine.

I think Poch was saying when Onamah moved that he wasn't going to get enough first team football at Spurs and deserved the opportunity to be a key player somewhere. I read everything Poch says and it didn't read to me like it was a criticism of Onamah's mentality.

if you look at the comments which Poch made when Onomah went to Villa it was along the lines of 'he's got a pile of natural ability and could be a no 8, 7, 10, 11 etc but he needs to want it'...

The actual quotes were

“Because every six months we need to review every single situation and Josh, after the U20 World Cup I think in his mind it was to play more and prove himself that he can play,”

“There were a lot of rumours about his position on the pitch. He can play as an 8, a 6, a 7 or 10 or 11, I think that is not the problem. He needs to prove himself that he can play.

“It's a great opportunity for him now at Aston Villa to prove himself and prove to everyone that he is a player that can learn and improve and will be useful for Tottenham.”

I am so pleased for him with how it is going. I hope he comes back next season and compete for a first team spot and with Dembele probably on his last legs he has an opening for him.

I was hopeful for Pritchard so having a good loan is not a sure fire way of getting into the first team but it must surely be better then the alternative.

The actual quotes were

“Because every six months we need to review every single situation and Josh, after the U20 World Cup I think in his mind it was to play more and prove himself that he can play,”

“There were a lot of rumours about his position on the pitch. He can play as an 8, a 6, a 7 or 10 or 11, I think that is not the problem. He needs to prove himself that he can play.

“It's a great opportunity for him now at Aston Villa to prove himself and prove to everyone that he is a player that can learn and improve and will be useful for Tottenham.”

Yep, that's the one.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Surprised and disappointed he's doesn't make it for the Under-21s tonight's game vs Latvia. Not even on the bench.

At least KWP gets a game though - at LWB. Game is on BT Sport 1 (Virgin 527).

Surprised and disappointed he's doesn't make it for the Under-21s tonight's game vs Latvia. Not even on the bench.

At least KWP gets a game though - at LWB. Game is on BT Sport 1 (Virgin 527).

England have made nine changes from the other day, presumably Onomah's just been given the night off as he'll be playing at the weekend(unlike the majority of the squad).

Back