• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Josh Onomah

He has massive potential. He is arguably the academy's brightest prospect due his talent and skill level and increasingly, his height and physique. If he develops over a few years he could become an absolute beast on top of a midfielder who keeps the ball well, beats men and has good creativity and vision. He can be a bit up and down but talent wise I have said for a few years he is our brightest star.

He is a CM and poch is protecting him introducing him to a position where he has more freedom and will be under less pressure.

In pre season he looked very accomplished and I can only think the poster above expected him to be a flashy winger seeing as he has played there. As he develops he will move central and maybe even as a deep lying player.

People talk a lot about marcus edwards but he is still only 16, has a questionable attitude and rumours surrounding him and because of his height he will have to become even better to make up for this.

Really? Where do you get that from? I haven't seen that to be the case at all.

He has massive potential. He is arguably the academy's brightest prospect due his talent and skill level and increasingly, his height and physique. If he develops over a few years he could become an absolute beast on top of a midfielder who keeps the ball well, beats men and has good creativity and vision. He can be a bit up and down but talent wise I have said for a few years he is our brightest star.

He is a CM and poch is protecting him introducing him to a position where he has more freedom and will be under less pressure.

In pre season he looked very accomplished and I can only think the poster above expected him to be a flashy winger seeing as he has played there. As he develops he will move central and maybe even as a deep lying player.

People talk a lot about marcus edwards but he is still only 16, has a questionable attitude and rumours surrounding him and because of his height he will have to become even better to make up for this.

Has played a pretty clear attacking midfield role/#10 role whenever I've seen U21 games (rarely). Same when he played for the England youth setup iirc. And match reports I've read seem to put him in that role/position too. That was pretty much where he played against Villa from what I remember.

As for him featuring on the left of an attacking midfield trio for our first team, such is life for the modern attacking midfielder.

Perhaps a better question for the youth thread... But if Marcus Edwards was at the Barca academy does anyone think questions would be raised about his height?

I remember we turned down a chance to sign Juninho and Zola as they were too small. Always seem strange to me that players are rejected for being too small yet lumps like Willie Young, John Lacy and Kevin Scott aren't rejected for being too tall (and crap).

Perhaps a better question for the youth thread... But if Marcus Edwards was at the Barca academy does anyone think questions would be raised about his height?
I think perhaps you misunderstand a little here. Spurs fully expect Edwards to make it as a top level player, however because of his stature we have to be careful with the timing of him stepping up through the age levels, primarily to avoid his confidence being affected, the worst thing that could happen to a player like Edwards would be for him to stop demanding the ball or to try to get rid of it more quickly than he does now.

Messi was given growth hormones and Juve sent Del Piero away to the army.

I think you are being a bit disingenuous my dear man. You should make it clear that Messi was given growth hormones because at the age of 10 he was diagnosed with a growth hormone deficiency, and it was not Juventus that sent Del Piero away to the army, on the contrary Del Piero had to interrupt his playing career to do a year's compulsory military service.

I think you are being a bit disingenuous my dear man. You should make it clear that Messi was given growth hormones because at the age of 10 he was diagnosed with a growth hormone deficiency, and it was not Juventus that sent Del Piero away to the army, on the contrary Del Piero had to interrupt his playing career to do a year's compulsory military service.

I'm remembering this from a Football Italia episode from 20 years ago, but I think Italian footballers could get dispensation from military service (like Son is having now), but Juve thought Del Piero would benefit more from the physical regime of the army, so told him to do it.

I got told once that Saudi Sportswashing Machine did the same with a teenage Chris Waddle, though they sent him off to work in a carpet warehouse for a year?

I'm remembering this from a Football Italia episode from 20 years ago, but I think Italian footballers could get dispensation from military service (like Son is having now), but Juve thought Del Piero would benefit more from the physical regime of the army, so told him to do it.
as
I got told once that Saudi Sportswashing Machine did the same with a teenage Chris Waddle, though they sent him off to work in a carpet warehouse for a year?

Sorry mate you were wrong. At the time Del Piero did his national service he was one of the highest paid players in Italy, he did it the same time as Fabio Galante Fabio Cannavaro and Marco Delvecchio and they were already established stars

Waddle worked in a sausage factory and played non-league football before Saudi Sportswashing Machine signed him.

Has played a pretty clear attacking midfield role/#10 role whenever I've seen U21 games (rarely). Same when he played for the England youth setup iirc. And match reports I've read seem to put him in that role/position too. That was pretty much where he played against Villa from what I remember.

As for him featuring on the left of an attacking midfield trio for our first team, such is life for the modern attacking midfielder.

Bearing in mind he has always played above the age groups he plays there as his defensive nous isn't always the best.

He is an attacking midfielder but imagine a CM who can attack from deep. For me he has more guaranteed potential than Edwards (haven't seen much of him tbf) but we will probably only see the best of him if given a chance through the midfielder as an attacking forward he isn't. He uses the ball well, is calm, beats men, has an eye for a pass and can be a commanding player, he is one who could go all the way.

Really? Where do you get that from? I haven't seen that to be the case at all.

He had issues with staying on at Spurs due to issues concerning money on a professional deal, windy COYS seems to know a bit and he confirmed issues with this last year. He has had bust ups with coaches and is a bit of an arrogant wanna be roadman. He is only 16 so impossible to say how he delvelops but he's one I would worry about falling away considering a few aspects

He had issues with staying on at Spurs due to issues concerning money on a professional deal, windy COYS seems to know a bit and he confirmed issues with this last year. He has had bust ups with coaches and is a bit of an arrogant wanna be roadman. He is only 16 so impossible to say how he delvelops but he's one I would worry about falling away considering a few aspects

Yes, I remember this surfacing before. At the same time, I think precisely the opposite was said about Onomah, regarding him being pretty level-headed and willing to put the work in, just that possible issues around signing him up were more to do with where he felt he could develop best and have the greatest chance of improving.

I think we have a few that have every chance of making it. Here are my picks of a very talented bunch that we have.

Harry Winks. I think he has all the attributes required to make it as a PL central midfield player. All he really needs now is a chance to play. I don't think he will really get that at Spurs so could do with a good loan. To go and play at a club like Coventry would be a great move for him.

Kyle Walker Peters. A very exciting player, attacks really well from the right back position, although he definitely needs to learn how to defend better before he finds himself in the first team. Another who would benefit from a good loan I think. Again a Coventry type level club would be perfect.

Cameron Carter Vickers. A great athlete and combines that with a great football brain. Is getting good experience in the under 21s at the moment and that is still probably the best place for him.

Marcus Edwards. Quite simply the best young, English player that I have seen. Incredible balance and touch, plays the game with his head up and always seems to take the right option. His lack of stature is a concern so he will need to be handled carefully, but (assuming he stays at Spurs) I would be very surprised if he isn’t our first choice number 10 in three of four years time.

Josh Onomah. Another who has lots of skill combined with great balance, he seems to glide around the pitch. I think he just needs to add a bit of devil and aggression to his game in order to make it to the very top. Has a big chance to make it at THFC.

Shayon Harrison. An exciting goalscorer. Great movement, good skill and an excellent finisher. I think of all the positions on the pitch the centre forward one is the most difficult to judge in terms of whether young players will be able to step up and play at the top level. I think Harrison has a chance.

Kaziah Sterling. Another who has a chance of making it. He has pace, skill, two good feet and is one of those players who is a real nightmare for defenders, always involved in play. IMO he needs to work on his finishing a little and he can sometimes also be a little greedy and needs to develop that aspect of his game.

Nathan Oduwa. Bags of skill and a good physique to go with it. He is another that has a chance of making it if he continues to progress. While a loan to the Scottish second tier isn’t the best quality of leagues to judge him in, I’m sure it will do him good in terms of toughening him up. His contract situation is a bit of a concern.

Good post and you obviously have seen a bit of these chaps. Velkjovic isn't mentioned though - any reason? Also someone who I have literally never seen play but gets reasonable attention is Keenan(?) Bennet....any view on him? The CM, Luke Amos, has always been handy on the 2 or 3 times I've seen him

He's better playing deeper but he's not the best defensively yet so that's why he often gets moved further forward, maybe you just happened to have caught the games where he played as a #10 but he's played CM at least equally as much for both us and England. I'm happy to see him breaking into the team regardless of where he's playing though, he's a big talent.

Back