• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

Yep
And over a season they happen so why would anyone remove them from a data set when comparing
I know you didn’t but it seems odd to me
We could argue it say let’s remove goals conceded from pelanties that were given before they changed the interpretation of the rule
That actually would fit within a model as it can’t balance over a season for example
And for what it’s worth your comments about crosses is very valid
The point is (tbh I wish I never posted) that you would be mindful of the following when analysing and then comparing goals conceded.

Liverpool have played 18 games and conceded 21 goals.
They conceded 33% of their goals in 1 game.
You could conclude there record is poor/average overall or you could conclude they were brick in one game and pretty decent in all the rest. 'all the rest' being by far the majority and so a clearer reflection of their defensive capabilities.

The point is (tbh I wish I never posted) that you would be mindful of the following when analysing and then comparing goals conceded.

Liverpool have played 18 games and conceded 21 goals.
They conceded 33% of their goals in 1 game.
You could conclude there record is poor/average overall or you could conclude they were brick in one game and pretty decent in all the rest. 'all the rest' being by far the majority and so a clearer reflection of their defensive capabilities.
I get where you was going but I just don’t think you can filter out some games and not others
I mean a pool fan could argue that they played that game with their first 11 too.. of course they wouldn’t do that

It is not a popular opinion on here but I think Dier is definitely a weak option in the air. He seems to end up in situations where he is marking nobody with the opposition having a free player in the centre of the goal too often and also jumps and misses the ball too often. The problem is that Sanchez is also weak in the air and it is not Alderweireld's strength either. It may be that pairing Dier with a player who is truly dominant in the air will improve us. Maybe it is time to have a proper look at Dier and Rodon as a pair without having Davies as a third centre half to help babysit Rodon?

Not unpopular, the data backs it up.

There was a data set about all EPL CB's and one of the measurements was aerial duels won, all of our CBs were not good, Dier I think was the best but mediocre compared to other EPL level CB's, Sanchez is poor, Toby mediocre as well, unfortunately I don't think Rodon is great either despite his height (perhaps it can be developed in his case)

Not unpopular, the data backs it up.

There was a data set about all EPL CB's and one of the measurements was aerial duels won, all of our CBs were not good, Dier I think was the best but mediocre compared to other EPL level CB's, Sanchez is poor, Toby mediocre as well, unfortunately I don't think Rodon is great either despite his height (perhaps it can be developed in his case)
How have you got I put opinion on Rodon out of interest?

Doesn't that mean that just about every single other goal we have conceded has come from a cross though? (corners and free kicks) (Pretty sure that the own goal against West Ham was also a cross as well? And Leicester's second goal as well?

Yes but that's because we're generally doing well defensively so proportionately it stands out - but in terms if whether we stand out as a team as particularly bad at defending crosses I'm not sure the numbers support that.

Even in terms of set piece goals we have only conceded the 10th highest amount in the league this season, so whilst for us it's an obvious area to improve as statistically it's a high proportion of the goals we have conceded (due to the fact we don't concede many) but in terms of whether we as a team we are particularly weak in this area - no we're smack bang in the middle of the league.

Last edited:
Yeah
I meant how did you get there on the basis of two league games for us or seeing him play elsewhere?

G3emx2M.jpg

Per 90 on last seasons numbers fwiw

Last edited:
We could have beaten Fulham and palace as we created the better chances but if you don’t take them you don’t get what you sometimes deserve...

We had chances to beat them yes but thats different from deserving to beat them IMO. If only we had attacked in numbers when it was 1-0 in those games. Not saying Jose sets out the team with a uniform approach every single game but in the aforementioned games we didn’t attack with enough numbers except when the score was level. Palace for example dominated the ball and put us under pressure until it eventually told. At the same time just because Lloris wasn’t peppered with shots and didn’t have too many saves to make just means the final ball and the shots they took weren’t good enough.

Yeah
I meant how did you get there on the basis of two league games for us or seeing him play elsewhere?

Someone posted some numbers in thread, I has seen something similar previously. Rodon's numbers in the air have never been great (again, possible he can improve more in this area than our more experienced defenders)

We had chances to beat them yes but thats different from deserving to beat them IMO. If only we had attacked in numbers when it was 1-0 in those games. Not saying Jose sets out the team with a uniform approach every single game but in the aforementioned games we didn’t attack with enough numbers except when the score was level. Palace for example dominated the ball and put us under pressure until it eventually told. At the same time just because Lloris wasn’t peppered with shots and didn’t have too many saves to make just means the final ball and the shots they took weren’t good enough.
Or they were kept at armed length and created little (I’m not saying that’s the case but it can be as seen when we beat city and arsenal)

Or they were kept at armed length and created little (I’m not saying that’s the case but it can be as seen when we beat city and arsenal)

City and Arsenal was different. They dominated possession but created little and didn’t really put us under any pressure. On the flip side you could say our goals against wolves and palace were saveable. Palace was definitely a howler from their keeper.

It is not a popular opinion on here but I think Dier is definitely a weak option in the air. He seems to end up in situations where he is marking nobody with the opposition having a free player in the centre of the goal too often and also jumps and misses the ball too often. The problem is that Sanchez is also weak in the air and it is not Alderweireld's strength either. It may be that pairing Dier with a player who is truly dominant in the air will improve us. Maybe it is time to have a proper look at Dier and Rodon as a pair without having Davies as a third centre half to help babysit Rodon?

Couldn't agree more, Dier has improved but ultimately he's still a weak link in a backline that regularly succumbs to pressure. I noted like you that he's rarely at fault for losing his man directly but that's because he was never with them to start with, time and time again you watch the replay and he's standing there in no mans land not even aware of what's going on. To me that shows poor positioning and anticipation (they often say the top defenders just sense danger), given he's now the senior CB in most games (when Toby doesn't play) and is seen as a leader of the team I think it shows a weak link in our spine.

I hope the next big signing we make is a dominant CB, how I'd have loved Dias - looking better every week at city.

Back