• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

All the top sides kept a clean sheet on this round of fixtures. They had much more testing fixtures and some had to absorb more crosses and defensive pressure from superior players and teams than Sheff Utd. They were all dogged and resilient and all defended set pieces and aerial crosses extremely well.
We didn't !
Sheff Utd not only scored from a header but they had two good headed chances as well. Sheff Utd can't score for toffee ,except against a rank 10 man Geordie outfit from the pelanty spot.
We are diabolical aerially and although Mourinho has clearly tried to sort this out by immediately putting Dier back to CD and also buying Rodon who is being eased in and probably wasn't Mourhino's first choice ( or second) but so far it's not been enough.
Look at all the other top teams and their central defenders , even footballing teams like Emirates Marketing Project have finally sorted out the weakness they had there by buying Diaz and bringing Stones back in. They also have a very decent defender aerially in Laporte, waiting in the wings.
Man Utd - Maguire, Lindelof
Liverpool - Van Dyke, Matip
Arsenal - Luiz , Holding, Gabriel
Leicester - Evans , Tungay ?
Everton - Keane , Mina , Holgate ?

We are badly lacking a commanding centre half aerially and it's costing us dearly.

The concept is right, but the teams you are highlighting haven't figured out their defence.

United, conceded 24
Pool, conceded 21
Everton, conceded 21
Chelsea, conceded 23

Not good numbers for top level sides (we are 17, City is 13 as comparison)

I would agree we need a replacement for Toby, preferably one that is dominant aerially, I'm sure Jose is aligned, the issue is Dias (who was a risk) was 60M+

The concept is right, but the teams you are highlighting haven't figured out their defence.

United, conceded 24
Pool, conceded 21
Everton, conceded 21
Chelsea, conceded 23

I would agree we need a replacement for Toby, preferably one that is dominant aerially, I'm sure Jose is aligned, the issue is Dias (who was a risk) was 60M+
And we brought Rodon who has played 2 league games and keeps on kinda getting forgotten about
I listen to a lot of pods and on the From the Lane one this week Jack Pitt Brooke made the bold statement that Rodon will be first choice by the end of the season... I can see him and dier being a real pairing given some games

and the sample of recent games is a poor choice.. I mean united played pool, and Everton’s game got cancelled

1% conversion to goals from crosses seems right. But teams get a better return playing us. CBs need to win those headers in front of the goal. it's their basic job!

Leicester 2-0 win with 35% possession and locked out Chelsea. Its a valid strategy we need better players.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Of our 5 open play goals conceded this season only the ones v Fulham and Sheffield Utd have come from crosses - had a look on Whoscored and we've defended about 400 crosses so far this sesson.

Doesn't seem much of an issue on the face of it?

Of our 5 open play goals conceded this season only the ones v Fulham and Sheffield Utd have come from crosses - had a look on Whoscored and we've defended about 400 crosses so far this sesson.

That’s direct from crosses
We conceded vs palace, wolves, pool, Leicester, West Ham twice and Saudi Sportswashing Machine indirectly from free kicks or corners as crosses
400 over 18 games is roughly 22 a game so quite average for the prem

How does 400 crosses defended compare with other teams?
For the purposes of this discussion I think a corner or a free kick from the side would also be considered a cross. I’m not sure if the issue is the quality of our defenders in the air or an expected result given the volume of crosses we concede.
The positive for me is if we are funnelling our opponents attacks for this to be the main method of their attack and ergo our most likely method to concede, it should be one of the easier issues to address, as opposed to conceding from a variety of root causes.

That’s direct from crosses
We conceded vs palace, wolves, pool, Leicester, West Ham twice and Saudi Sportswashing Machine indirectly from free kicks or corners as crosses
400 over 18 games is roughly 22 a game so quite average for the prem

I think you need to keep set pieces and open plsy goals seperate - as set pieces are dedicated phases of play which teams set up specifically for.

400 open play crosses, 2 goals conceded - 0.5% ? Actually a good record...

For the purposes of this discussion I think a corner or a free kick from the side would also be considered a cross. I’m not sure if the issue is the quality of our defenders in the air or an expected result given the volume of crosses we concede.
The positive for me is if we are funnelling our opponents attacks for this to be the main method of their attack and ergo our most likely method to concede, it should be one of the easier issues to address, as opposed to conceding from a variety of root causes.

Ha, i may have tome on my hands atm but I'm not looking through everyone else's chalkboards to see that.

Metalgear said the conversion rate for crosses is 1% - we're conceding at a rate of .5% so on the face of it there's no issue in this area.

Set pieces i believe we're average for goals conceded in the league, that's just outright goals conceded though and not weighted against how many corners/attacking free kocks you face

United, conceded 24
Pool, conceded 21
Everton, conceded 21
Chelsea, conceded 23

Just as a point you could take a 6 goals from United and a 7 goals from Liverpool as 1 off outlier games and they would then compare favourably.

I think you need to keep set pieces and open plsy goals seperate - as set pieces are dedicated phases of play which teams set up specifically for.

Yeah fair call
I guess is the impression of how we deal with balls from wide
I 100% agree that set pieces can be dealt with very differently
I do believe we have fixed the free kick problem as much as we can as we now defend them further away from goal
The corners we have conceded from have included two great headers poorly defended and the Leicster one where Aurier tried to head butt someone’s back for some strange reason

And we brought Rodon who has played 2 league games and keeps on kinda getting forgotten about
I listen to a lot of pods and on the From the Lane one this week Jack Pitt Brooke made the bold statement that Rodon will be first choice by the end of the season... I can see him and dier being a real pairing given some games

and the sample of recent games is a poor choice.. I mean united played pool, and Everton’s game got cancelled
Think I said in another post/thread, if he had been signed in time for EL and wasn't cup tied for LC he'd of started anothe 4/5 games...it's a shame.

I'd bet that as well. If no-one comes in, he'll be a regular come March.

Premier league average is about 22 crosses conceded a game

I’m looking forward to Jose quoting this in a presser one day!

He's not, he's taking off an extreme outlier that skews the overall picture
Yeah
I don’t agree that you can do that though
Can we take out West Ham as that was an extreme outlier?
That was the first time in prem history that a team has come back from 3 down that late in a game

Yeah
I don’t agree that you can do that though
Can we take out West Ham as that was an extreme outlier?
That was the first time in prem history that a team has come back from 3 down that late in a game

It's pretty common to do so when evaluating data.

Why would you take away goals they have conceded against top half teams?
I'm just saying that in one game Liverpool conceded 7 (for example) so it skews their conceded figure. Not saying you should take it away. But in context it's an outlier, and should be noted when comparing...that is all.

I'm just saying that in one game Liverpool conceded 7 (for example) so it skews their conceded figure. Not saying you should take it away. But in context it's an outlier, and should be noted when comparing...that is all.
As I said by the same point you could take out the West Ham games vs us

It's pretty common to do so when evaluating data.
Not really
I mean I’ve done statical process control when I did my degree level maths and also in my A Level
I’m pretty damn good on stats and you can’t remove some without others, as that’s cherry picking

Back