• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

The qualifying rounds also felt like a proper pre season, rather than a chore. We maybe had a better pre season than others.
Agreed.

And we're in the EL rather than the CL which has allowed us to rotate more.

And we weren't in the preseason killer of a late stage EL/CL games that came this summer.

All adds up, and I think it's helping us. We're also just a very good team though, that also helps.

Levy too. To bring in such a controversial manager, right after the most popular in recent history, under a cloud of negative scrutiny and making it work under continued financial challenges is also something to admire.

I hope Spurs will give Mourinho something new he could not get in other clubs... Perhaps its long term stability and an era's worth of credits as a winning manager.

On the plus side he is highly entertaining in an intelligent and mischievous way. Fun to have especially when he's on our side.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Levy too. To bring in such a controversial manager, right after the most popular in recent history, under a cloud of negative scrutiny and making it work under continued financial challenges is also something to admire.

I hope Spurs will give Mourinho something new he could not get in other clubs... Perhaps its long term stability and an era's worth of credits as a winning manager.

On the plus side he is highly entertaining in an intelligent and mischievous way. Fun to have especially when he's on our side.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

This has been my view for a bit

- I think the break reminded Jose he loves the game, his family is happy in London (they never moved to Manchester)
- Spurs is far less a circus than United, Madrid or Chelsea and despite the reputation, Levy is quite happy to have longer term managers when they produce (Harry/Poch)
- Jose needs/enjoys validation, success (trophies) at Spurs will rank as high as most things he's done, if not higher
- The players here are not throw out your pram types, and we won't likely be buying those in future

I wouldn't be completely shocked if he's still here in 3-4 years.

Re the last part, he's snarky, funny, intelligent and controls the press and the narrative he wants. The shock for me is how often he is actually honest/accurate in assessments of games, performances, etc. (far more than any manager I can recall)

- I think the break reminded Jose he loves the game, his family is happy in London (they never moved to Manchester)
- Spurs is far less a circus than United, Madrid or Chelsea and despite the reputation, Levy is quite happy to have longer term managers when they produce (Harry/Poch)
- Jose needs/enjoys validation, success (trophies) at Spurs will rank as high as most things he's done, if not higher
- The players here are not throw out your pram types, and we won't likely be buying those in future

Re the last part, he's snarky, funny, intelligent and controls the press and the narrative he wants. The shock for me is how often he is actually honest/accurate in assessments of games, performances, etc. (far more than any manager I can recall)
Agree with all of that.

I think it's impossible to predict what we'll see longer term with Mourinho. A meltdown will always be possible for a variety of reasons, but it's not a certainty. All we can do is enjoy the ride while the good times last, or complain about "boring fotball" and all the various ways in which he's not Mauricio Pochettino.

Agree.

He has certainly had to deal with some 'circus' clubs in Chelsea, Madrid and United. Yes he's a big enough man to deal with that, but United did appear to suck the life out of him.

Although we could quite easily conclude at the time that it looked a weird match up with Levy and Jose, from Jose POV we were a perfect opportunity, a perfect club to potentially restore his reputation. We were a club with a chance, a chance we'd never taken, but certainly not no hopers. Jose woukd of thought 'if I can take that club the final step, I'll be written into the history of another club'. Of course we can offer him a lovely stadium, perfect training facility, an environment that he expects and respects.

Luckily the bit we would be worried about has been mitigated by Levy stepping up and providing all the support to Jose's vision.

Would agree with all of that, i remember him on Bien Sports with the two dingdongheads ( Gray, Keys) before he came here ( and after Utd) and what he said was during the time he was not working he had thought long and hard about his management style and accepted he may have to change a few things.

But he is still the winner that he has always been and you can see he has already installed a better mentality among the players.

@Diamond Lights I always got the "if he's your manager you would always love him" what I didn't get prior is the quite often brutal honesty in moments, it may be one sentence or two in a 10 minutes presser, but it's way more than I see from Klopp, Pep, Ole, Poch (who played the language game) who often just deny/deflect and sometimes make you wonder what fudging game did they just watch.

@ricky2tricky4city I was never really worried about the Levy/Jose bit, both are way too smart and too experienced (and damn near the very fudging best at what they do), the media narrative that they would somehow sign up naively without extremely clear expectations was idiotic. The biggest worry for me with Jose (especially after seeing Poch at the end) was could he drop the bitterness/frustration of United and go back to enjoying the game (and he has)

h.

I was never really worried about the Levy/Jose bit, both are way too smart and too experienced (and damn near the very fudging best at what they do), the media narrative that they would somehow sign up naively without extremely clear expectations was idiotic. The biggest worry for me with Jose (especially after seeing Poch at the end) was could he drop the bitterness/frustration of United and go back to enjoying the game (and he has)

Neither was i to be honest, a lot of anti Jose fans were saying it would never work because Jose would throw his toys out of the pram when Levy would not buy him all the players he wanted, it was obvious that ( to me anyway) that Levy and Jose would have sat down and it would have been made clear to Jose that he would have a certain budget and if he could not work with that then he should not take the job.

always loved to hate Jose when he wasn't our manager. you know what i mean? Was always gold for entertainment, and a dingdong, running on the pitch, cupping his ear, always one of those "if he's your manager you'd probably love him" types.

And now i'm fully on the Jose train. SING HIS NAME NEXT WEEK.

I actually really liked him at Chelsea first time round. Thought he was a breath of fresh air, witty and intelligent. He also clearly said stuff just for effect. I saw a line once written that "hating Mourinho for what he says in public is like hating Anthony Hopkins for eating people" which I'd agree with.

That said, second time around with Chelsea, I thought some of the stuff was unpleasant and crossed a line. Particularly with the medical team. I thought the Luke Shaw stuff was pretty nasty too at United.

But the version of him now is more akin to his first stint at Chelsea. He's competitive, he's witty and he's box office. He's taking digs at those people he's competing with but none of it is personal. I also think he's proving the school of thought that "football has passed him by" is rubbish. It always was - Jose is a great manager.

So I'm on the Jose train too.

@Diamond Lights I always got the "if he's your manager you would always love him" what I didn't get prior is the quite often brutal honesty in moments, it may be one sentence or two in a 10 minutes presser, but it's way more than I see from Klopp, Pep, Ole, Poch (who played the language game) who often just deny/deflect and sometimes make you wonder what fudging game did they just watch.

@ricky2tricky4city I was never really worried about the Levy/Jose bit, both are way too smart and too experienced (and damn near the very fudging best at what they do), the media narrative that they would somehow sign up naively without extremely clear expectations was idiotic. The biggest worry for me with Jose (especially after seeing Poch at the end) was could he drop the bitterness/frustration of United and go back to enjoying the game (and he has)
I agree that narrative is easily written (even amongst Spurs fans). I believe spending was restricted at times for good reason (generally speaking) and on completion of the stadium those restrictions would be eased. And the evidence was that that had started to happen with Ndombele, Lo Celso etc in Poch last summer. So the perceived mismatch was based on events that had already passed.

We would back him within certain limits but those limits were a lot higher than one might think, and of course all discussed and agreed as Levy drooled all over his desk:)

Of course another potential spending restrictor came out of nowhere with covid, but Kudos all round ,the way we have made that look like a non problem.

Last edited:

Was never worried about Mourinho and Levy not finding compromises in the first year or so of his contract. Covid made things more difficult, but Levy found the money and the deals.

Don't think January will be particularly difficult either. In the summer I could see disagreements forming that could be harder to get past, but time will tell.

For me, the best thing Mourinho has done to show he's changed is to restore Ndombele as a top player. Bergwijn's another who looks like he's responding to the manager's methods. Hoping he gets Dele back to his old (younger) self. In past seasons, such dissatisfaction with a player would have escalated into turmoil. Now? It all seems like a calm natural progression.

He's also bought wisely and he may have acquired Doherty thinking he's needed to take over the LB spot. But it also lit a fire under Aurier.

For me, the best thing Mourinho has done to show he's changed is to restore Ndombele as a top player. Bergwijn's another who looks like he's responding to the manager's methods. Hoping he gets Dele back to his old (younger) self. In past seasons, such dissatisfaction with a player would have escalated into turmoil. Now? It all seems like a calm natural progression.

He's also bought wisely and he may have acquired Doherty thinking he's needed to take over the LB spot. But it also lit a fire under Aurier.

One of the big criticisms I've seen levelled at Jose in the past is that he's not a good coach, he just buys great players and puts them in a system that works.

Hugo, Aurier, Dier, Ndombele, Kane and possibly Son look like much better players under him.

I actually really liked him at Chelsea first time round. Thought he was a breath of fresh air, witty and intelligent. He also clearly said stuff just for effect. I saw a line once written that "hating Mourinho for what he says in public is like hating Anthony Hopkins for eating people" which I'd agree with.

That said, second time around with Chelsea, I thought some of the stuff was unpleasant and crossed a line. Particularly with the medical team. I thought the Luke Shaw stuff was pretty nasty too at United.

But the version of him now is more akin to his first stint at Chelsea. He's competitive, he's witty and he's box office. He's taking digs at those people he's competing with but none of it is personal. I also think he's proving the school of thought that "football has passed him by" is rubbish. It always was - Jose is a great manager.

So I'm on the Jose train too.
Spot on. There is no denying he got rather bitter toward all and sundry in some of his previous clubs. It is good to see the glint in his eyes again.

Of course it can all still to horribly wrong but as someone who has been critical of Levy, he does deserve a lot of credit for this appointment. Even if it still ends in tears, he has made a bold decision and backed it up with investment. Mourinho was never going to be cheap, had come off the back of two acrimonious departures and not worked without one for the biggest budgets in the league for a while. His style of football is the antithesis of our brand and he was labelled a tactical dinosaur by many in the media.
After a difficult season under trying circumstances he’s been backed in the market, not with a bottomless pit of funds but to a level beyond most of our expectations.
In terms of the man himself. I think he likes to be cast in the role of the underdog which makes the counter attacking approach more noble in the eyes of supporters and the media.
I wonder if being allowed to bed in the strategy without fans has helped the players execute it as well as they have, the groans and impatience of fans for conceding possession could have had a negative effect?

Back