• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

There was clearly a pretty huge overspend on the stadium. If the project had been budgeted/managed well then all of the additional unbudgeted money that Poch secured through the consecutive CL qualifications and the hike in sponsorship revenue that came from that additional exposure for the club could've been spent on players. Instead all of that had to go on making up the shortfall once costs spiralled out of control.
The money on the stadium came with the loans. The build also started when euro rates were much more favourable and that had an impact on the whole U.K. market
No one now takes on these builds as a fixed price contract. I’ve built stadiums before and too many have had their fingers burned so Tottenham owned the risks
We could have cut corners but it wouldn’t have necessarily meant more money for players

Running players into the ground and needing to replace them every three years is not a sustainable model

It is if you buy young players and sell them at a premium. We can't afford to buy the finished article, so we need to do something different to compete.

Running players into the ground and needing to replace them every three years is not a sustainable model

It's very similar to what Klopp's methods are, which delivered trophies for Liverpool. No football club would be sustainable if you don't buy players and we're the first ever club in the history of football since the transfer window was invented to not buy anyone.

Like i said, maybe Levy knows something the rest of every major European country's football world doesn't. Paul Mitchell, former Director at Spurs (now Leipzig):

My philosophy is that you need, year on year, new voices, new profiles, just to stimulate the group. Just to keep the group competitive. Keep the group’s daily training at its maximum — that competitive stimulation that all great teams have. It doesn’t have to be a whole wave of new players. Two to three to four players every window, of the highest quality, that can try to break into that starting 11. It’s crucial to continue being competitive at the very, very top echelons of the game.”

That is why Mitchell is determined to keep Leipzig refreshed every year. “Any team, irrespective of natural age, needs refreshing and succession planning,” he says. “Just to instigate the competitive element within the squad. Even ourselves last year, we had a phenomenal season under Ralf Rangnick, third in the Bundesliga, cup final against Bayern Munich, (but) we reinvested on players that we believed could actively penetrate the starting 11.”

This will never happen under Levy. If anyone thinks this will, on what evidence have you seen under our board that believes we'll ever put competiveness on the pitch as a priority?

It's very similar to what Klopp's methods are, which delivered trophies for Liverpool. No football club would be sustainable if you don't buy players and we're the first ever club in the history of football since the transfer window was invented to not buy anyone.

Like i said, maybe Levy knows something the rest of every major European country's football world doesn't. Paul Mitchell, former Director at Spurs (now Leipzig):

My philosophy is that you need, year on year, new voices, new profiles, just to stimulate the group. Just to keep the group competitive. Keep the group’s daily training at its maximum — that competitive stimulation that all great teams have. It doesn’t have to be a whole wave of new players. Two to three to four players every window, of the highest quality, that can try to break into that starting 11. It’s crucial to continue being competitive at the very, very top echelons of the game.”

That is why Mitchell is determined to keep Leipzig refreshed every year. “Any team, irrespective of natural age, needs refreshing and succession planning,” he says. “Just to instigate the competitive element within the squad. Even ourselves last year, we had a phenomenal season under Ralf Rangnick, third in the Bundesliga, cup final against Bayern Munich, (but) we reinvested on players that we believed could actively penetrate the starting 11.”

This will never happen under Levy. If anyone thinks this will, on what evidence have you seen under our board that believes we'll ever put competiveness on the pitch as a priority?
So what is the priority?

So what is the priority?

As i said, it's not binary. It's not Stadium or Signings. You've been misled if you believe that to be true.

Levy thought he could continue the success of the team without investing during a difficult period (despite the manager telling him it wouldn't work). He's been found out. That same manager said what's the point of having a massive stadium with brick players. Well, that's what we have, and we'll continue to have. The stadium brings in fans every other week, MONEY. The stadium will be utilised over the summer, MONEY. The stadium will used for non-football sporting events, MONEY. He's not built it to benefit Tottenham solely, he's built it to to benefit ENIC.

No one asked for massive multimillion signings, i've already identified several players who went for low values to offer squad depth of which we have a dearth of. We have one senior striker in our first team squad.

Again, nothing in the 20 years under Levy has shown me his ability to put out a winning team, the best opportunity we had, he decided to pay himself a £7m bonus whilst the team was left to fall apart.

A top right back was available for zero transfer fee (Meunier). Stories were that Mourinho wanted him but the club wouldn't pay. He went to Dortmund (who I don't think pay bigger wages than we do?)
There are at least two very good centre halves available for bargain fees due to contract situations (Sarr at Nice - on a freebie and RKoch at Freiburg who has only a year left on his contract).
There are a couple of very good right backs available for good fees this summer, again due to contract/financial situations.... Castagne at Atalanta (who have been a breath of fresh air in Italy) and Heinrichs at Monaco.
There is talk that Lille are now only looking for a min of £25 million (plus add-ons) for Soumare

The players are out there to be signed. We could make massive improvement to our first team and squad and sign 5 or 6 players for less than £100 million of gross spend if we play the contract market well. Sell some squad ballast and chuck in Ndombele and Moura (for example) and we could probably pretty much break even. Having no DoF probably doesn't help us here though.

A competent DoF should be our first signing.

The money on the stadium came with the loans. The build also started when euro rates were much more favourable and that had an impact on the whole U.K. market
No one now takes on these builds as a fixed price contract. I’ve built stadiums before and too many have had their fingers burned so Tottenham owned the risks
We could have cut corners but it wouldn’t have necessarily meant more money for players
One would hope that our currency trader of an owner had the foresight to take out some currency options to protect us somewhat against the weakening of the £. If we were to be paying for a good portion of our goods in euros yet keeping all of our money in pounds then that would've been very poor financial management indeed.

As i said, it's not binary. It's not Stadium or Signings. You've been misled if you believe that to be true.

Levy thought he could continue the success of the team without investing during a difficult period (despite the manager telling him it wouldn't work). He's been found out. That same manager said what's the point of having a massive stadium with brick players. Well, that's what we have, and we'll continue to have. The stadium brings in fans every other week, MONEY. The stadium will be utilised over the summer, MONEY. The stadium will used for non-football sporting events, MONEY. He's not built it to benefit Tottenham solely, he's built it to to benefit ENIC.

No one asked for massive multimillion signings, i've already identified several players who went for low values to offer squad depth of which we have a dearth of. We have one senior striker in our first team squad.

Again, nothing in the 20 years under Levy has shown me his ability to put out a winning team, the best opportunity we had, he decided to pay himself a £7m bonus whilst the team was left to fall apart.
The chairman doesn’t coach or pick the team at any club in the premier league I believe.. I mean stranger things have Happened

One would hope that our currency trader of an owner had the foresight to take out some currency options to protect us somewhat against the weakening of the £. If we were to be paying for a good portion of our goods in euros yet keeping all of our money in pounds then that would've been very poor financial management indeed.
We ain’t buying the goods in euros
The contractors are
We had a contract with MACE under a management construct. We paid the contractors doing the building works too
But materials went through the roof in the last 5 years. That’s across the whole of the UK

From all the evidence I’ve seen every penny made by ENIC has been put back into the club

I'd be quite happy if all of our next 6 signings were for £25 million or under. We need quite a large number of players so don't have the luxury of buying a ready made, finished article already proven in the PL. Therefore any signing we make is going to be something of a gamble. Let's get in a decent DoF and operate in the 18 to 23 age range and sign players from the lower leagues here along with Belgium, France, The Netherlands, Germany. Portugal, Turkey, Greece.... Ignore Spain and Italy for now. We need to build a competitive, young team again with a great team spirit. We can do that if we think long term and spend money in the right way in the right areas. I'm not confident of that happening though with Jose and Levy as our two operators in the market.
I’d like us to buy Prem proven, which I know can attract a premium but I think it can make a big difference. There’s a few at Bournemouth and Norwich who might represent value depending on the competition for them, + Hojberg. I don’t think I’d allow us to buy another player from France! A DoF is a must whatever the approach.

[

Presumably then you think it's a coincidence that our first full season in the new ground saw us spend 100m net in the transfer market, having balanced the books for the years of pre construction and actual construction?

We ain’t buying the goods in euros
The contractors are
We had a contract with MACE under a management construct. We paid the contractors doing the building works too
But materials went through the roof in the last 5 years. That’s across the whole of the UK
The price of steel certainly shot up over those 5 years. However the price was at record lows at the start of that period, prices actually just back up to a 'normal' rate really. I hope we didn't budget for our stadium costing the goods out at the record low price? I would've expected the club to be hedging against rises in material costs anyway by taking out options.

The price of steel certainly shot up over those 5 years. However the price was at record lows at the start of that period, prices actually just back up to a 'normal' rate really. I hope we didn't budget for our stadium costing the goods out at the record low price? I would've expected the club to be hedging against rises in material costs anyway by taking out options.
You budget based on costs at the time you plan for
And you do allow for risk
But everything has spiked massively and hasn’t dropped
Steel is only one part of it
Labour also went up and up
It’s like everything
Just look at HInkley point and HS2

The idea isn't that you replace a whole team in one go every 3 years. Instead you bring in 2 or 3 players every year so that the replacement is gradual and continual.
Even if you bring in 2-3 players every year you still need a core that will be there for 5-7 years. Most teams have that core.
A quick look at the Liverpool squad and 16 players have been there over 3 years, 13 over 4 years. No team can afford to burn out their top players every 3 years.

I’d like us to buy Prem proven, which I know can attract a premium but I think it can make a big difference. There’s a few at Bournemouth and Norwich who might represent value depending on the competition for them, + Hojberg. I don’t think I’d allow us to buy another player from France! A DoF is a must whatever the approach.
Who at Bournemouth would improve us?

Back