• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

no I I think he saw the options and thought they weren’t good enough and made a call
It’s what he is paid to do

Exactly; he saw what ENIC were prepared to do (or not)...hence he's been a negative moaner ever since. Like he has at his previous clubs.
Of course a manager is paid to make such a call. Like he was at United, Chelsea etc...he caused a stink there and he got FAR more backing than we give to our managers (or have given to him so far...)

Exactly; he saw what ENIC were prepared to do (or not)...hence he's been a negative moaner ever since. Like he has at his previous clubs.
Of course a manager is paid to make such a call. Like he was at United, Chelsea etc...he caused a stink there and he got FAR more backing than we give to our managers (or have given to him so far...)
No I think he saw who was available and thought nah... I’ve got better (sound familiar?)

Brilliant post.

I am a big fan of Mourinho and have wanted him at the club ever since his first press conference in West London back in 2004. There's no doubt that he isn't without his faults, both on and off the pitch, however, to blame him for this is nothing short of embarrassing. We didn't sign the right players in 2016, we then lost a key squad member (Kyle Walker) without seeing any improvement to the squad in 2017 and then didn't sign anyone whatsoever in 2018. Despite the difficulties in signing a prefered target in this day and age, it is evident that most of the blame lies at the top. And then to compound all of that we have the most ridiculous injury situation imaginable. After Villa away we'd picked up 26 points out of 42, not bad, since then we've been completely depleted. And then before all that, we'd won 6 games in 24, our worst run since in 10 years, with performances matching the awfulness which was witnessed in 2008, resulting in Poch getting the sack. So for players to be somewhat over looked is very surprising indeed.

When it comes to the Poch vs Mourinho argument, I say this to both sides, you're wrong. They're both the right managers, it's just that they have been stuck with the wrong players and insufficient squad capacity with a hierarchy that simply can't deliver the right players at the right time, due to a combination of frugality and insufficient attempts in recruitment with a near empty trophy cabinet.

There's no doubt that Levy is a good chairman and shouldn't be treated like the many con men who taken the healm at other clubs. But is he ,and ENIC for that matter, capable of taking Spurs to the final step?

Good post, only comment I will make is that yes Jose and poch are both top managers, but I think they need very different set ups for them to succeed.
It's why I struggle to understand our appointment of Jose straight after poch.

Haha, like @glasgowspur once said: Champagne ambition, Lemonade spending

Thing is I don't really believe that.
I am honestly starting to believe that Levy would be happy with CL every year and the odd cup.
It looks to me like building a title or CL winning team is considered beyond us.
There almost seems to be a fear of success.

Thing is I don't really believe that.
I am honestly starting to believe that Levy would be happy with CL every year and the odd cup.
It looks to me like building a title or CL winning team is considered beyond us.
There almost seems to be a fear of success.

Success tends to lead to increased expectations and that means spending money on the footballing side.
It's fear of having to spend money to get the footballing success

Success tends to lead to increased expectations and that means spending money on the footballing side.
It's fear of having to spend money to get the footballing success
Fear from who?
Now we have the money we are spending it aren’t we?
I stand by what I said when we were building the ground... we couldn’t spend crazy money as we didn’t know what the ground was gonna cost
Now we have “paid the bill” we know our annual outlay for that and we know our other costs so we budget on money to spend on transfers

Fear from who?
Now we have the money we are spending it aren’t we?
I stand by what I said when we were building the ground... we couldn’t spend crazy money as we didn’t know what the ground was gonna cost
Now we have “paid the bill” we know our annual outlay for that and we know our other costs so we budget on money to spend on transfers

Yeah, we showed all that in January...and also the summer when clear and obvious gaps weren't plugged (i.e. backup number 9 - please don't tell me we actually scouted and targeted Dybala, that was opportunistic based on the fact Juve wanted to sell him to balance their books NOT us actively wanting him from before - and a defensive midfielder)

Yeah, we showed all that in January...and also the summer when clear and obvious gaps weren't plugged (i.e. backup number 9 - please don't tell me we actually scouted and targeted Dybala, that was opportunistic based on the fact Juve wanted to sell him to balance their books NOT us actively wanting him from before - and a defensive midfielder)
No I don’t believe we scouted a 9
I believe that Poch, like Mou thought they had enough to deal with injuries and both were wrong
And as I’ve said soooo many times what you see as gaps and what some other fans see as gaps isn’t necessarily what the manager sees. Hence why we focussed on midfielders and brought every player that Poch was linked with on day 1
Levy can only react to what the man in charge asks for can’t he, or should he react to fans online?

No I don’t believe we scouted a 9
I believe that Poch, like Mou thought they had enough to deal with injuries and both were wrong
And as I’ve said soooo many times what you see as gaps and what some other fans see as gaps isn’t necessarily what the manager sees. Hence why we focussed on midfielders and bought every player that Poch was linked with on day 1
Levy can only react to what the man in charge asks for can’t he, or should he react to fans online?

I think Poch getting what he fully wanted is debatable, though i agree what was reported as being targetted is what was bought (not sure where Jack Clarke fitted into Poch's plans, but i digress..)

Do you honestly think Jose didn't want a number 9? do you honestly think Jose didn't want a defensive midfilder?
Happy to see quotes from him stating all this

I think Poch getting what he fully wanted is debatable, though i agree what was reported as being targetted is what was bought (not sure where Jack Clarke fitted into Poch's plans, but i digress..)

Do you honestly think Jose didn't want a number 9? do you honestly think Jose didn't want a defensive midfilder?
Happy to see quotes from him stating all this

I believe he wanted a striker but I also believe he didn’t want what was available and thought (not unreasonably on the basis that son doesn’t get injured much at all) that he could use son supported by Bergwein and Dele and Moura and Lamela as a functioning attack. Those players battered villa as expected fro example

The DM bit he will look at this summer but we haven’t been seriously linked to any

Bergwijn was a smart compromise. An attacking player who could score. To lose Kane, then Son and then Bergwijn is exceptional. Moura and Alli can finish, but they are not being played as out and out strikers. At least not successfully. Would like to see Parrot get some time. If Mourinho can get him prepared, just having a focal point to play off might help us. He doesn't have to be amazing, just occupy defender, goal hang, and if chances arrive tuck them in.

I believe he wanted a striker but I also believe he didn’t want what was available and thought (not unreasonably on the basis that son doesn’t get injured much at all) that he could use son supported by Bergwein and Dele and Moura and Lamela as a functioning attack. Those players battered villa as expected fro example

The DM bit he will look at this summer but we haven’t been seriously linked to any

If we're taking giving a brick Villa team a 'battering' when we also struggled to win vs Norwich, and couldn't vs Southampton and Watford them i don't know what to say. I could point out several games when going forward we've looked disjointed under him when he even has his number 9, but i can't be bothered to labour that point.

We only find out what gets leaked and i doubt - given the way Jose works - he was happy with our lack of physical presence in CM.

The common theme always seems to be: "We didn't spend x to get players y or z because the manager didn't want them/any". So convenient...and now we have the epitome of a chequebook manager, so spurious too...

Bergwijn was a smart compromise. An attacking player who could score. To lose Kane, then Son and then Bergwijn is exceptional. Moura and Alli can finish, but they are not being played as out and out strikers. At least not successfully. Would like to see Parrot get some time. If Mourinho can get him prepared, just having a focal point to play off might help us. He doesn't have to be amazing, just occupy defender, goal hang, and if chances arrive tuck them in.

Those injuries are very VERY crippling i agree. But even when they have been available they don't look like tehy are receiving coaching to get us fluid when attacking. We were plodding going forward even before the injuries. A more progressive coach would no doubt suffer from missing those guys, but would likely not be so toothless either.

Jose has lost then ability to coach forwards apart from the big lumps; remember he bemoaned how Rashford wasn't really a striker...look how he's thrived since Jose left

If we're taking giving a brick Villa team a 'battering' when we also struggled to win vs Norwich, and couldn't vs Southampton and Watford them i don't know what to say. I could point out several games when going forward we've looked disjointed under him when he even has his number 9, but i can't be bothered to labour that point.

We only find out what gets leaked and i doubt - given the way Jose works - he was happy with our lack of physical presence in CM.

The common theme always seems to be: "We didn't spend x to get players y or z because the manager didn't want them/any". So convenient...and now we have the epitome of a chequebook manager, so spurious too...
Hey your entitled to your opinion and that’s cool
Maybe Jose sees Gedson as that DM... maybe he sees sissoko as it. I don’t know
I do know we haven’t been linked with any of note and the only striker was the polish lad
Id argue any win in the prem is key as it’s the hardest league to get wins in
Watford beat Liverpool didn’t they?

Hey your entitled to your opinion and that’s cool
Maybe Jose sees Gedson as that DM... maybe he sees sissoko as it. I don’t know
I do know we haven’t been linked with any of note and the only striker was the polish lad
Id argue any win in the prem is key as it’s the hardest league to get wins in
Watford beat Liverpool didn’t they?

There is little in how Gedson has been used to suggest he sees him as a DM (and little in the way he plays). As much as i like him, he's a good midfielder but not a player in the mould of the typical DMs he's used in the past. He's not a 'bruiser' at all.
And we are still leaking chances and now leaking goals. If he saw him as a DM he'd have started yesterday when at the very least we needed to be secure defensively.

Those injuries are very VERY crippling i agree. But even when they have been available they don't look like tehy are receiving coaching to get us fluid when attacking. We were plodding going forward even before the injuries. A more progressive coach would no doubt suffer from missing those guys, but would likely not be so toothless either.

Jose has lost then ability to coach forwards apart from the big lumps; remember he bemoaned how Rashford wasn't really a striker...look how he's thrived since Jose left

I'm not sure Poch was a particularly astute attacking coach either. Coordinating our attacking movement, making the most of wide areas, final balls and finishing are areas we have been okay but not exceptional for a long time.

I'm not sure Poch was a particularly astute attacking coach either. Coordinating our attacking movement, making the most of wide areas, final balls and finishing are areas we have been okay but not exceptional for a long time.

That is true, but he is far more astute at coaching attacking movements etc than Jose. He certainly would probably deal better with our attacking injuries at present.

Jose has mostly been a counter-attacking and set-piece manager since his stint at Inter

Back