• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

My point above is that we concede more free kicks in dangerous positions and corners due to the fact that we play so deep and have little possession.
If we defended a bit higher the free kicks would be given in less dangerous positions and the number given away would be reduced if we had more possession.
We are actually good defensively, it's the amount of pressure in dangerous areas that is the problem.
But are we conceding more set pieces or is that just a perception?
I haven’t seen any data that shows that so far

That is what the data in the quote above from you seems to suggest unless I'm misinterpreting it which is quite possible
I just did some digging (joys of being off work with kids watching TV)
We have conceded the 5th fewest dead balls in the league, below average on corners and free kicks too
We do however have the highest SCA against us from them I believe so chances created them is high, however the quality of those chances is the lowest in the league...
So basically we don’t concede as many set pieces as people think, but when we do the opposition do get chances, just really poor ones. Hence why when you look at the ones we have conceded goals against, their either great finishes or defensive errors that gave them the goal

My point above is that we concede more free kicks in dangerous positions and corners due to the fact that we play so deep and have little possession.
If we defended a bit higher the free kicks would be given in less dangerous positions and the number given away would be reduced if we had more possession.
We are actually good defensively, it's the amount of pressure in dangerous areas that is the problem.
tickle my balls with a feather mate.

We have conceded the 5th fewest dead balls in the league, below average on corners and free kicks too
We do however have the highest SCA against us from them I believe so chances created them is high, however the quality of those chances is the lowest in the league...
So basically we don’t concede as many set pieces as people think, but when we do the opposition do get chances, just really poor ones. Hence why when you look at the ones we have conceded goals against, their either great finishes or defensive errors that gave them the goal
So that suggests a high proportion of the set pieces that we concede are in dangerous positions, which is natural considering we take our defensive line not far from the edge of our penalty area.

So that suggests a high proportion of the set pieces that we concede are in dangerous positions, which is natural considering we take our defensive line not far from the edge of our pelanty area.
Or we defend them poorly
The xG form free kicks is super low
As in their not high scoring chance sheikh would suggest their not from dangerous positions

Pools winner was a corner
The penalty Aurier gave away was from a corner
Wolves scored from a corner
Palace was a free kick granted
The other goals we conceded were unlucky deflections
So unless we wanna defend corners further out, how deep we are is kinda irrelevant. It’s purely how we actually defend them surely ?

Pools winner was a corner
The pelanty Aurier gave away was from a corner
Wolves scored from a corner
Palace was a free kick granted
The other goals we conceded were unlucky deflections
So unless we wanna defend corners further out, how deep we are is kinda irrelevant. It’s purely how we actually defend them surely ?
West Ham - 2 x free kicks. Everton - free kick. Saudi Sportswashing Machine - penalty from a free kick. The fact that the free kicks are high up the pitch mean the opposition can get a ball into our box.

West Ham - 2 x free kicks. Everton - free kick. Saudi Sportswashing Machine - pelanty from a free kick. The fact that the free kicks are high up the pitch mean the opposition can get a ball into our box.
That was all before we defended deep though
We act silly changes how we defended free locals after thy taking a line level with the free kick or as high as possible
The problem went away
Now though corners are the problem

That was all before we defended deep though
We act silly changes how we defended free locals after thy taking a line level with the free kick or as high as possible
The problem went away
Now though corners are the problem
Sorry, I don’t get your second line there?

Against West Ham we defended deep in that second half and got deeper and deeper as the game went on. Towards the end of that Saudi Sportswashing Machine game we also started to do it. Everton, we were just abject full stop.

Against West Ham we defended deep in that second half and got deeper and deeper as the game went on. Towards the end of that Saudi Sportswashing Machine game we also started to do it. Everton, we were just abject full stop.
So we defended deep for 10 minutes of a game...
ok then

No... more like for about 45 minutes plus of it. We went deep earlier in that West Ham game.
We really didn’t IMO
I’ll get the action area stats to have a look in a bit
What I will say is when you do go ahead it’s natural to concede some space and sometimes the opposition can play well too even when going behind.

Looks like we were deeper than West Ham, no?

can you show same for second half only.... I think it would be even more pronounced.
No that’s the whole game
Yep we are a big deeper than West Ham but not much in it
As I said it’s no suprise when your 3 up and the opposition have nothing else to do but commit players and they were playing well
I also posted the Chelsea game heat maps in the other thread... their worth a look

@DubSpur @Bedfordspurs

The attached images shows where we stand in regards to conceding goals from setpieces this season.

The raw numbers themselves are not that hight but we are relatively high up in the table for goals conceded from setpieces. 6 times as many as Arsenal interesting and 3x times as many as Emirates Marketing Project but the same as United and pretty similar to Liverpool and Chelsea.

Back