• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jordan Archer

Out of interest, what would the decision have been if he'd have deflected it with his arms near the goal line, indirect freekick from the spot of the incident?

Out of interest, what would the decision have been if he'd have deflected it with his arms near the goal line, indirect freekick from the spot of the incident?
Guess that's what he was assuming. I think a successful argument could be made for his defender suffering total mental collapse so it can't be a deliberate back pass.

Guess that's what he was assuming. I think a successful argument could be made for his defender suffering total mental collapse so it can't be a deliberate back pass.

as I understand it there is nothing in the laws about fudge up's, it wasn't a tackle or a deflection, the defender played it intentionally, had he handled it it would have been a back pass and the ref would have had to have given it

Has this rule changed over the years? I thought the rule was to NOT pick the ball up, but you could save the ball if needed...

yeah, its dealt with in law 12

Offences committed by goalkeepers

A goalkeeper is not permitted to keep control of the ball in his hands for more than six seconds. A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball:

• while the ball is between his hands or between his hand and any surface

(e.g. ground, own body)

• while holding the ball in his outstretched open hand

• while in the act of bouncing it on the ground or tossing it into the air

When a goalkeeper has gained possession of the ball with his hands, he cannot be challenged by an opponent.

A goalkeeper is not permitted to touch the ball with his hand inside his own penalty area in the following circumstances:
  • if he handles the ball again after it has been released from his possession

and has not touched any other player:
    • – the goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball by touching

it with any part of his hands or arms except if the ball rebounds

accidentally from him, e.g. after he has made a save

• – possession of the ball includes the goalkeeper deliberately parrying the

ball
  • if he touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to

him by a team-mate

• if he touches the ball with his hands after he has received it directly from a

throw-in taken by a team-mate

Restart of play
• Indirect free kick from the position where the offence occurred (see Law 13 – Position of free kick)

I remember a goalie doing volleyball keep ups to avoid the 6 second rule before, kept flicking the ball up then whalloped it

The 6 second rule, has it ever been enforced?

I remember a goalie doing volleyball keep ups to avoid the 6 second rule before, kept flicking the ball up then whalloped it

The 6 second rule, has it ever been enforced?
Never seen it in professional football.

I can't remember who we were playing recently (Leicester maybe?) and they were timewasting with the keeper holding the ball for about 20 secs each time. We can fix that as fans though - if we see a keeper timewasting we can all just count down from 6 when he picks it up. If the ref doesn't blow up for it it'll be pretty clear he's letting it go.

I know you said professional football, but Mignolet got done for it in a Europa League game this season.
Really? First time I've heard about that rule being enforced. He must have been taking the tinkle really to get pulled up on it.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...simon-mignolet-explaining-six-second-10513022

Any other famous instances?

There are, but they are few and far between.

An incident during the semi-finals of the 2012 Olympics caused major controversy. Canada were leading the USA 3-2 when their 'keeper Erin McLeod was penalised on the six-second rule. The indirect free-kick was then handled, with Abby Wambach converting the penalty. The USA went on to win in extra time to reach the final.

In the Premier League, cases are equally rare. Jussi Jaaskelainen, of Bolton, was punished in a game at Saudi Sportswashing Machine in February 2002, with Alan Shearer smacking the free kick home, but other examples are hard to find.

I have vague memories of something like this happening in the '90s too. But could have been in the silly little Norwegian league or something.

Back