• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Joe Rodon

Despite however many mistakes he has made, there is no denying that in his limited number of league performances he has definitely looked the best defender whenever on the pitch during a league match. If he had been a new signing and an Italian or German international we would be calling for him to start, but as he plays for Wales and came from Swansea......

Even van Dijk would look anything but solid next to Davies!

I thought Rodon was excellent until Tanganga's stupid red mist. Until the 75 minute, Rodon was winning every aerial duel and made countless blocks in the box. It is also clear the kid is born leader.

You obviously want a partnership to develop rather than picking individuals but I like Rodon. He's the most physical and aerially dominant of our CBs I think so given the size of the rest of our team, it would be great if he developed into a first choice

One of the standout positives yesterday. On as a sub early, next to Tanganga who played his first PL game as a CB, struggling team. Bor of everything coming his way, mix of height and power from Benteke, dribbling from Ayew.

Never looked out of place, did his job, looked calm, but aggressive when he needed to be.

Dier and Sanchez have looked good so far, Romero has to start regularly at some point. Perhaps difficult to see Rodon getting a run of PL games any time soon, but I think he deserves it.

Being fairly close to natural on the left despite being right footed might work to his advantage in time given that Romero probably prefers playing on the river.

Still can't understand what he is doing wrong in training for him to be overlooked over and over by multiple coachs. Especially now that Sanchez is back in Powderpuff Girls (sans superpowers) mode.

Cannot for the life of me imagine Rodon being shrugged off by a player half his size as the Columbian was yesterday.

https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/joe-rodon-tottenham-wales-swansea/

Really hope Joe is given chance to play, develop and flourish. He's clearly got much going for him.
Thanks Jerus; I particularly liked this bit

He is always happy to compete in a physical battle for the ball and will often look to jump forward to try and win the ball at the earliest opportunity. He is particularly good at stepping around his opponent to win the ball before it reaches them, and that results in him making a large number of interceptions (below). In his first full season at Tottenham, Rodon averaged 2.6 interceptions per 90 minutes of Premier League football. Not only was that by a distance the most of any player in the Tottenham squad, it was also the highest rate of all players in the entire Premier League to make at least 10 appearances during 2020/21. Most of the others near the top were central midfielders; clearly, Rodon is among the most proactive of centre-backs.

He is always happy to compete in a physical battle for the ball and will often look to jump forward to try and win the ball at the earliest opportunity. He is particularly good at stepping around his opponent to win the ball before it reaches them, and that results in him making a large number of interceptions (below). In his first full season at Tottenham, Rodon averaged 2.6 interceptions per 90 minutes of Premier League football. Not only was that by a distance the most of any player in the Tottenham squad, it was also the highest rate of all players in the entire Premier League to make at least 10 appearances during 2020/21. Most of the others near the top were central midfielders; clearly, Rodon is among the most proactive of centre-backs.
It’s exactly what I like about Tanganga and Romero too. Proactive defending. Sometimes you will look stupid but most of the time you stop the attack before it’s progressed anywhere and can control the situation

Yes. For a young defender to have such strength in a particular area means it's really worth doing what we can to enhance other aspects of his game.

Some poor performances this evening but, along with Dele, Rodon's stood out as especially poor

I struggle to remember a CB playing as many mis-placed passes whilst not under pressure

Might help explain why not of our recent managers have picked him, unless down to the bare bones

Back