• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Joe Rodon

My worry with Toby is people rate him higher when he doesn’t play
I mean he got mullered vs Wycombe
But when we played pool in December he was brilliant

You have a point but Wycombe was a strange game. They had some big units who were more physical than anyone he'll face in the league.

Like you say, against Pool he was excellent and it was the same against City and Arsenal. In the City game, there was one unbelievable challenge he put in to deny a certain goal. But the common denominator in those games was that we camped in our box so he just had to use his natural defensive talent rather than worrying about whether he'd be hit with a ball over the top. That then stops us from pressing high up the pitch because your midfielders and strikers can't press if your defence is deep. That then leads to criticism of the manager and his tactics from the fans and media and Jose doesn't deal too well with criticism.

You have a point but Wycombe was a strange game. They had some big units who were more physical than anyone he'll face in the league.

Like you say, against Pool he was excellent and it was the same against City and Arsenal. In the City game, there was one unbelievable challenge he put in to deny a certain goal. But the common denominator in those games was that we camped in our box so he just had to use his natural defensive talent rather than worrying about whether he'd be hit with a ball over the top. That then stops us from pressing high up the pitch because your midfielders and strikers can't press if your defence is deep. That then leads to criticism of the manager and his tactics from the fans and media and Jose doesn't deal too well with criticism.
Yep it’s a viscous circle

I do like what I saw yesterday, I remember one covering tackle in particular that was close to perfection and so so clean.

I'd go with him from now on and see who works best because all the other combos have been tried and none have convinced. As I say I would probably go with Toby first but would accept any pairing.

Tackled Mane, didn't he?
Cut across him using the outside of his foot to get the ball just before a shot was fired in. Lovely to see

Thought he did well and i hope he stays in the team for a few games, sad thing is Toby is nowhere near the player he was a couple of seasons ago and while his mind may be as quick as it was sadly his legs have gone.

Thought he did well and i hope he stays in the team for a few games, sad thing is Toby is nowhere near the player he was a couple of seasons ago and while his mind may be as quick as it was sadly his legs have gone.
Maybe him and Rodon could work though?
I’ve defended Dier a lot as he gets dug out for things that IMO aren’t his fault but him and Hugo for that first were horrendous
Rodon looks a player to me
He did make a mistake but his reading if the game seems decent and he takes charge generally (something Dier doesn’t)
Him and Toby on the right may be an answer

Its hard to tell with young CBs though isn't it. I mean we all thought after Sanchez had that good season that he would kick on and now he has pretty much been discarded. We are not going be able to buy an 80m finished article anytime soon so I guess with have to keep playing Rodon and Tanganga etc. and hope to develop a gem.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-joe-rodon-europa-league-squad-breakthrough-b918538.html

Jose Mourinho has confirmed that Joe Rodon will remain ineligible for the Europa League knockouts, despite breaking into the Tottenham first team.

Spurs have 18 non-homegrown players, which is one more than Uefa's allowance for European competitions.

I know someone has to miss out but it seems a strange decision because there is a chance by the time of the final he might be our starting CB. [emoji848]

I know someone has to miss out but it seems a strange decision because there is a chance by the time of the final he might be our starting CB. [emoji848]
Surprised by what Alistair Gold has quoted there as well....sounds more like something Poch would say.

Bottom line is, if Sanchez is down the pecking order and more than likely to be moved on, you pick the up and coming prospect. Remember he's not available for the League Cup final as well.

Very strange considering all the blame being heaped on our defensive performances

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-joe-rodon-europa-league-squad-breakthrough-b918538.html

Jose Mourinho has confirmed that Joe Rodon will remain ineligible for the Europa League knockouts, despite breaking into the Tottenham first team.

Spurs have 18 non-homegrown players, which is one more than Uefa's allowance for European competitions.

Emotional impact? Jesus, suck a lemon and photograph my aura while you are at it Mou Mou.

Dias at Emirates Marketing Project is only 5 months older. Rodon should have played against Everton at least.

Dias at Emirates Marketing Project is only 5 months older. Rodon should have played against Everton at least.
I can understand Mourinho's decision.

We're dysfunctional at the back, throwing a young inexperienced player into that might not be the right way to settle in.

Dias is just a different story. He's a £60m player, seemingly one of the highest rated centre backs in his age group around anywhere. To compare his introduction into the City team to Rodon's situation seems strange to me.

That being said I wouldn't be surprised if he got more chances going forward as there's not a centre back in our team showing consistent performances.

We're dysfunctional at the back, throwing a young inexperienced player into that might not be the right way to settle in.

Dias is just a different story. He's a £60m player, seemingly one of the highest rated centre backs in his age group around anywhere. To compare his introduction into the City team to Rodon's situation seems strange to me.

That being said I wouldn't be surprised if he got more chances going forward as there's not a centre back in our team showing consistent performances.
Agree with all of this
I’d like to see Rodon and Tanganga as there the ones most likely to still be here next season

Spurs have let in the second lowest amount of goals conceded in the league. It is just key moments which I personally believe Rodon is better equipped at dealing with than Dier or Sanchez. Toby and Rodon should be given a consistent run but that is my personal opinion

Last edited:
Back