• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Joe Rodon

Decent debut for the youngster... hopefully cut out those errors with experience, unlike Sanchez...

Sounds to me like he was very unhappy with his debut actually.

First game, hell first season I can turn a little bit of a blind eye to. Did have an echo of Foryth to his game so im hoping it was just nerves. The scouts hopefully saw something in him and it was not a punt signing. Will reserve judgement till we are about 30 games into his spurs career.

Considering he is a Wales international, that last minute header back was a school boy era. I know it was his debut and he is only young but that is not acceptable at under 18's level let alone in the 92nd minute of a big London derby.

Other than that a few shaky moments but done ok.

Good debut, even Roy Keane is being very kind about him... Few nervy moments but to be expected, overall very positive.
Nervy moments for sure imo, at least the first one. As in he actually looked nervous, which is understandable. Hopefully as he settles in those will be weeded out of his game. Looks pretty good on the ball so should be fixable.
Hard to rate defenders when you set up to defend so deep as a unit - few nervy moments and mistakes that could have been punished but can't ask for more than a clean sheet away to a top 4 rival
Hard to judge how he would do in a different setup. How would he deal with counter attacks, getting dragged wide etc, because that didn't happen much.

Easy to rate how he did in these game conditions, he did really well. Almost like we signed him as a player partly because he's good in those situations.

Nervy moments for sure imo, at least the first one. As in he actually looked nervous, which is understandable. Hopefully as he settles in those will be weeded out of his game. Looks pretty good on the ball so should be fixable. Hard to judge how he would do in a different setup. How would he deal with counter attacks, getting dragged wide etc, because that didn't happen much.

Easy to rate how he did in these game conditions, he did really well. Almost like we signed him as a player partly because he's good in those situations.

Id like to think this is a specific setup for specific games rather something we'll see regularly, so with that in mind and also that our deep defensive setup post lock down kept plenty of clean sheets with Sanchez in it I'll be holding off until he's played some games where we are hopefully a little more progressive.

I think he done ok, but if it wasn't a young player on his debut it wouldn't have stood out as a particularly great performance and nothing i wouldn't have expected from Sanchez or Tangana in that setup

Last edited:
On first sight, I thought Davinson Sanchez had the potential to be the next Ledley King. He's since soundly disabused me of that notion.

Joe Rodon has been handed two demanding assignments on his debut and done alright. Couple of errors that didn't burn us but otherwise decently solid at the back. The key for him will be to learn from those errors and tidy up his play. He's got the physical tools to be a star defender. Just needs to show us the mental capacity is all there. And stop saying stupid schit like "Like I said."

I'm cheering for him to progress.

I wasn't overly enamoured, definitely didn't look up to the task and we're lucky a better striker wasn't on the pitch, think Giroud would have had him for breakfast. Lucky that Lampard was blind to the obvious in yesterday's game.

Will put that down to youth, and a baptism of fire of a first start for Spurs away at Chelsea. He's got a coach that can do wonders for him, but needs to put more muscle on too, can't be getting beaten by Tammy in the air in strength by Tammy as a CB.

I wasn't overly enamoured, definitely didn't look up to the task and we're lucky a better striker wasn't on the pitch, think Giroud would have had him for breakfast. Lucky that Lampard was blind to the obvious in yesterday's game.

Will put that down to youth, and a baptism of fire of a first start for Spurs away at Chelsea. He's got a coach that can do wonders for him, but needs to put more muscle on too, can't be getting beaten by Tammy in the air in strength by Tammy as a CB.
In bro convince Giroud would have done any better. For a start he can’t run which is quite key to get a team sitting deep
The ones you refer too when he was “beaten” in the air are the ones where Tammy made a hash of it I assume?

Made two mistakes, but my point of view

- Lloris had one real save to make (which was a good save, but from shot outside box)
- A week ago, the kid probably didn't think he'd be starting a serious game for months

The other thing is, some defenders make mistakes and get away with it, some make mistakes and seemingly always get punished for it (see Sanchez). Sometimes lucky is better than good.

- Lloris had one real save to make (which was a good save, but from shot outside box)
- A week ago, the kid probably didn't think he'd be starting a serious game for months

The other thing is, some defenders make mistakes and get away with it, some make mistakes and seemingly always get punished for it (see Sanchez). Sometimes lucky is better than good.
Or zouma giving us the ball like he did
Or Kante when him and their keeper were playing at passing the ball back... and almost have it to Sonny

Id like to think this is a specific setup for specific games rather something we'll see regularly, so with that in mind and also that our deep defensive setup post lock down kept plenty of clean sheets with Sanchez in it I'll be holding off until he's played some games where we are hopefully a little more progressive.

I think he done ok, but if it wasn't a young player on his debut it wouldn't have stood out as a particularly great performance and nothing i wouldn't have expected from Sanchez or Tangana in that setup
We obviously won't defend as much or as deeply against all teams. But there's definitely been a difference from Pochettino also in games against smaller teams and it looks like Rodon is a good fit.

I agree on withholding judgement, but what he's showed so far has been good. Considering that he's a young, newly signed player making his first start for us against Chelsea. That's the context and his performance should be seen in context too even if it's also useful to see his performance outside that context.

Sanches has made plenty of mistakes that haven't been punished.

It's better to be lucky than unlucky, but over time luck will more or less even out.

What I like about the mistakes Rodon made is that it's at least fairly likely that it's the kind of mistakes that will disappear to a reasonable extent given more game time and experience at this level. Meanwhile his actual defending was very good.

Sanches has made plenty of mistakes that haven't been punished.

It's better to be lucky than unlucky, but over time luck will more or less even out.

What I like about the mistakes Rodon made is that it's at least fairly likely that it's the kind of mistakes that will disappear to a reasonable extent given more game time and experience at this level. Meanwhile his actual defending was very good.

Not sure about the Sanchez bit .. there was a period for him (and to some extent Aurier) where seemingly he'd make one mistake or two per game and inevitably it would be a goal consequence..

But I'd say, ok game for me, with a higher rating due to the pressure of the game/opposition, as a direct comparison, don't think he had a worse game than Dier (who also had a couple of moments).

Not sure about the Sanchez bit .. there was a period for him (and to some extent Aurier) where seemingly he'd make one mistake or two per game and inevitably it would be a goal consequence..

But I'd say, ok game for me, with a higher rating due to the pressure of the game/opposition, as a direct comparison, don't think he had a worse game than Dier (who also had a couple of moments).
Well randomness is inherently streaky so there will naturally be periods where the impression at least will be that every mistake gets punished. There's also the emotional impact of mistakes that are punished on us as fans where we remember the one's that are punished much more clearly.

Time will tell if Rodon manages to keep those mistakes to a minimum or not.

It was his first game at a much higher level then he is used to and against a good side, making mistakes is not unusual for such a step up but he did not let it faze him and got on with the job. Good start for the lad and he showed great strength on a couple of occasions and also did well with the ball at his feet.

Giroud is a quality striker and the kid fared well in the sense that we kept a clean sheet at Stamford Bridge no?

Appreciate the glaring error could have cost us but honestly think the elbow to the face had him a little shaken up. I'm not having a pop at a whole gang of posters (we know how that goes) but christ on a bike some are hard to please; top of the table not by chance and people run on to question our debutant or why Bale isn't playing or how Jose said something mean about someone....

As the Rodon, quality first game in the mighty shirt. Declared himself as a strong option in lieu of Toby so we'll see how it progresses squad-wise, something gotta give in terms of EL registration in the long run. Excellent signs though for the young lad.

Giroud is a quality striker and the kid fared well in the sense that we kept a clean sheet at Stamford Bridge no?

Appreciate the glaring error could have cost us but honestly think the elbow to the face had him a little shaken up. I'm not having a pop at a whole gang of posters (we know how that goes) but christ on a bike some are hard to please; top of the table not by chance and people run on to question our debutant or why Bale isn't playing or how Jose said something mean about someone....

As the Rodon, quality first game in the mighty shirt. Declared himself as a strong option in lieu of Toby so we'll see how it progresses squad-wise, something gotta give in terms of EL registration in the long run. Excellent signs though for the young lad.

Agree, obviously who are we to judge, Jose gets paid the big bucks to determine and he obviously feels Sanchez isn't the answer. And let's also remind ourselves, Dier nearly cost us in yesterday's game too, our CBs are hardly faultless across the board.

As i said, i think he has the right manager to improve, so give him time and hopefully he will.

Considering he is a Wales international, that last minute header back was a school boy era. I know it was his debut and he is only young but that is not acceptable at under 18's level let alone in the 92nd minute of a big London derby.

Other than that a few shaky moments but done ok.
I've rewatched that header a couple of times now and I think he misjudges it, catches it too high on his head, and fails to get any power into it. If he gets enough on it, it goes straight to Lloris. Either way, he's made a decision and played the ball in a situation where dithering could have been so much worse.

I've not seen enough to think he's the new Dawson, never mind the new Ledley, but I'm optimistic.

I've rewatched that header a couple of times now and I think he misjudges it, catches it too high on his head, and fails to get any power into it. If he gets enough on it, it goes straight to Lloris. Either way, he's made a decision and played the ball in a situation where dithering could have been so much worse.

I've not seen enough to think he's the new Dawson, never mind the new Ledley, but I'm optimistic.
Agreed. Think he looked a bit nervy at times which is understandable, hasn't played much football and never started at this level before.

Looks confident so hopefully the nerves are just at the start and he'll improve.

Back