• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Joao Moutinho

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/João_Moutinho

26 yo. Does not seem to be chased by a load of clubs so I think Levy will slap in a take it or leave it offer and they will leave it.
Until deadline day when this time Levy will have the upper hand.

Whilst i can't profess to knowing whether or not he would solve our creativity issues, i do know that Levy won't have the upper hand at all.

Mout is at a club that has advanced into the last 16 in the Champions League, a club that doesn't particularly need to sell him after selling Hulk for a crazy amount of money around the summer window. They do not need to sell, be it the start or end of the window.

Leaving a club in the CL to come to a club where he can't even play in the EL?

The only advantage we have in this deal is that Mout gets on well with AVB.

Last edited:
Whilst i can't profess to knowing whether or not he would solve our creativity issues, i do know that Levy won't have the upper hand at all.

Mout is at a club that has advanced into the last 16 in the Champions League, a club that doesn't particularly need to sell him after selling Hulk for a crazy amount of money around the summer window. They do not need to sell, be it the start or end of the window.

Leaving a club in the CL to come to a club where he can't even play in the EL?

The only advantage we have in this deal is that Mout gets on well with AVB.

Would he really not be able to play in the EL? I thought that such a situation could only occur if Porto had finished third in their group and were consequently now in the EL themselves. But since they qualified for the CL knockout stage, I think that Moutinho would be eligible to play in the EL for Spurs - in the unlikely event that we do actually sign him.

I'd also say, by the way, that we have one other distinct advantage of Porto - we can offer Moutinho considerably higher wages than they pay him.

Would he really not be able to play in the EL? I thought that such a situation could only occur if Porto had finished third in their group and were consequently now in the EL themselves. But since they qualified for the CL knockout stage, I think that Moutinho would be eligible to play in the EL for Spurs - in the unlikely event that we do actually sign him.

I'd also say, by the way, that we have one other distinct advantage of Porto - we can offer Moutinho considerably higher wages than they pay him.

I was pretty sure the rules were that you could step up a competition, play in the EL and then the CL, but not that you could step down from the CL to the EL..

Edit:though now actually thinking about it that would make a huge mess of the teams going down to the EL as third placed.. Unless there is some sort of by-law in place..

I have no idea how much he gets paid at Porto, but i'll take your word on that.

Last edited:
I was pretty sure the rules were that you could step up a competition, play in the EL and then the CL, but not that you could step down from the CL to the EL..

Edit:though now actually thinking about it that would make a huge mess of the teams going down to the EL as third placed.. Unless there is some sort of by-law in place..

I have no idea how much he gets paid at Porto, but i'll take your word on that.

Three new players can be registered for the round of 32. The following is the pertinent rule (from the UEFA website):

One player from the above quota of three who has been fielded in a UEFA
club competition match for another club in the current season may
exceptionally be registered, provided that the player has not been fielded:
− in the same competition for another club; or
− for another club that is currently in the same competition.

Furthermore, if the player’s new club is playing in the UEFA Europa League,
his former club must not have played in the UEFA Europa League at any
point in the current season.

So Moutinho would be eligible to play for Spurs in the Europa League, should we sign him.

As to Moutinho's pay, I don't know exactly what it is either.

But i don't have to be a whizz at maths (and believe me, I'm not!) to know that Porto simply can't afford to pay him what we can afford to pay him.

I don't have the latest figures to hand but, in 2008-09 (a year in which Porto won the Portuguese League and reached the quarter finals of the Champions League), their turnover was a mere €68 million. In the same season, Spurs finished 9th in the Premier League and were knocked out at the group stage of the Europa League. Our turnover was €133 million.

Porto have net debt in excess of €80 million and operate at a loss (on normal operations) every season, with their costs generally exceeding income by some €20-30 million per annum - which is why part of their strategy is to sell one or two top players for a big profit every year. Even so, that makes their total spend in 2008-09 some €40 million less than Spurs'.

The gap has only grown over the past few years.

So it stands to reason that Porto simply can't begin to compete with the likes of Spurs when it comes to wages.

As to Moutinho's pay, I don't know exactly what it is either.

But i don't have to be a whizz at maths (and believe me, I'm not!) to know that Porto simply can't afford to pay him what we can afford to pay him.

I don't have the latest figures to hand but, in 2008-09 (a year in which Porto won the Portuguese League and reached the quarter finals of the Champions League), their turnover was a mere €68 million. In the same season, Spurs finished 9th in the Premier League and were knocked out at the group stage of the Europa League. Our turnover was €133 million.

Porto have net debt in excess of €80 million and operate at a loss (on normal operations) every season, with their costs generally exceeding income by some €20-30 million per annum - which is why part of their strategy is to sell one or two top players for a big profit every year. Even so, that makes their total spend in 2008-09 some €40 million less than Spurs'.

The gap has only grown over the past few years.

So it stands to reason that Porto simply can't begin to compete with the likes of Spurs when it comes to wages.

I beg to differ, perhaps Porto make a loss each season due to paying Moutinho £150k a week and Spurs make a profit by refusing to do so. Don't know if they do but they might.

I beg to differ, perhaps Porto make a loss each season due to paying Moutinho £150k a week and Spurs make a profit by refusing to do so. Don't know if they do but they might.

Their business model simply couldn't work on such a basis. £150K per week is the best part of €10 million per annum - 15% of their entire turnover or more than 10% of their entire annual costs. They have a first team squad of 28 professional players, with a number of them who are likely to be on similar wages to Moutinho - especially when Hulk and Falcao were there. Unless Porto are paying 80% of their players peanuts, it simply isn't feasible. That's before taking into account wages for the coaching staff and hundreds of other employees and all manner of other normal costs.

We need to get rid of some of our own big earners, gomes 60,000 a week and never plays, jenas and bentley and we are paying them to play for other teams.

We need to get rid of some of our own big earners, gomes 60,000 a week and never plays, jenas and bentley and we are paying them to play for other teams.

Jeez. I'd totally forgot about Bentley. Is he actually sign at the club just kicking dust, or balls into skips, or is he out in Russia somewhere?

I think players quite enjoy playing for Porto though despite the low wages. You rarely hear their players complaining. Maybe its a nice lifestyle out there.

I assume we will not be able to sign Moutinho, simply because they are still in the CL.

Saw an article today suggesting that QPR could sell Granero; how does he compare to Moutinho?
Cheeky bid???

I assume we will not be able to sign Moutinho, simply because they are still in the CL.

Saw an article today suggesting that QPR could sell Granero; how does he compare to Moutinho?
Cheeky bid???

Could be a clever move like how Saudi Sportswashing Machine got ba when west ham went down. Sometimes a player needs a season to get used to the prem, the lad has all the tools to be quite good.

I think players quite enjoy playing for Porto though despite the low wages. You rarely hear their players complaining. Maybe its a nice lifestyle out there.

Must be nice winning the league every year.

Back