• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jimmy Greaves MBE

Its a great shame he didnt win the league or european cup with us.

In fact it is imo the biggest underachievement in the clubs history that such a glorious side, managed by the great bill nick, only won one league title. Its actually quite poor if you think about it.

They should have won at least two more league titles and in doing so they would have had two more cracks at the european cup.

Its a great shame he didnt win the league or european cup with us.

In fact it is imo the biggest underachievement in the clubs history that such a glorious side, managed by the great bill nick, only won one league title. Its actually quite poor if you think about it.

They should have won at least two more league titles and in doing so they would have had two more cracks at the european cup.

We were cheated out of the European Cup in 62, Benfica paid off the refs.

Last edited:
We were cheated out of the European Cup in 62, Benfica paid off the refs.

Whether that is true or not does not change the fact that a side of such immense quality underachieved quite significantly.

There should have been at least two more league title wins. With it would also likely have facilitated a european cup win irrespective of any alleged cheating in 62.

So close and yet so far...

pat least Greaves had the consolation of scoring the opening goal in FA Cup final win

I remember having to take the day off work so I could get to the ground at 5 and was surprised that there were thousands queuing when I got here, I'd arranged to meet my Dad and my mates up in the old boys enclosure, only my Dad and one of my mates managed to get up there.

Whether that is true or not does not change the fact that a side of such immense quality underachieved quite significantly.

There should have been at least two more league title wins. With it would also likely have facilitated a european cup win irrespective of any alleged cheating in 62.

A little harsh IMO... Tottenham amassed more points than any other club side in the top flight throughout the 60's.
https://www.myfootballfacts.com/england_footy/football-league/first_division_table_1960s/

It were difficult to win a title however great a team were and luck played it's part...You have to factor in, that in those days, that due to the two points for a win rather than the three meant that the final points tallies were often much more crunched up than they're nowadays. Long term injuries and all to often, more importantly, in game injuries, were major deciding factors on where points ended up. Substitutions were not introduced to the game until the 64/65 season or thereabouts ..

The Football league's hierarchies' idiocy at the time, actually introduced the one substitution ruling to the game - that a player could only be replaced due to injury, rather than tactically! I think they made the amendment to their nonsensical rule and tactical substitutions were made official in the 67-68 season..

There were also plenty of other good teams in those days and a club's wealth disparity with it's peers were less so and of lesser importance.. Clubs such as Wolves, Ipswich, Burnley, Leeds, Derby produced teams with innovated coaching.. There were also both the Manchester clubs, the emergence of Shankley's Liverpool, whilst Everton were also a powerhouse themselves, and then there were Arsenal towards the end of the decade...

You're right, we went close another couple of times and it were a shame Bill Nick didn't win more League titles and, Spurs be the first British club side to win the European Cup. However, the European Cup winners Cup and three FA Cup wins back then were no mean feats..

In those days under Bill Nick, when we got to a final, they may as well have handed our players the winner's medals and trophy, prior to kick-off as Nicholson and his team always found a way to win regardless of performance on the day. From what I've been told - bar the Cup Winners Cup final thrashing of Athletico Madrid where we turned it on, Bill Nick's three FA Cup wins , Two League Cups and the UEFA Cup win in 71-72 were all won with his team doing just enough to get over the line.

All the oldies and boomers share your frustration at only his one League title but I wouldn't call it an underachievement.. For me, Bill Nicholson were a winner.

For those who were to young to see the GREATEST goal scorer of all time tonight is your chance, BT sport at 10.30.

The guy was a genius with the ball at his feet.

A little harsh IMO... Tottenham amassed more points than any other club side in the top flight throughout the 60's.
https://www.myfootballfacts.com/england_footy/football-league/first_division_table_1960s/

It were difficult to win a title however great a team were and luck played it's part...You have to factor in, that in those days, that due to the two points for a win rather than the three meant that the final points tallies were often much more crunched up than they're nowadays. Long term injuries and all to often, more importantly, in game injuries, were major deciding factors on where points ended up. Substitutions were not introduced to the game until the 64/65 season or thereabouts ..

The Football league's hierarchies' idiocy at the time, actually introduced the one substitution ruling to the game - that a player could only be replaced due to injury, rather than tactically! I think they made the amendment to their nonsensical rule and tactical substitutions were made official in the 67-68 season..

There were also plenty of other good teams in those days and a club's wealth disparity with it's peers were less so and of lesser importance.. Clubs such as Wolves, Ipswich, Burnley, Leeds, Derby produced teams with innovated coaching.. There were also both the Manchester clubs, the emergence of Shankley's Liverpool, whilst Everton were also a powerhouse themselves, and then there were Arsenal towards the end of the decade...

You're right, we went close another couple of times and it were a shame Bill Nick didn't win more League titles and, Spurs be the first British club side to win the European Cup. However, the European Cup winners Cup and three FA Cup wins back then were no mean feats..

In those days under Bill Nick, when we got to a final, they may as well have handed our players the winner's medals and trophy, prior to kick-off as Nicholson and his team always found a way to win regardless of performance on the day. From what I've been told - bar the Cup Winners Cup final thrashing of Athletico Madrid where we turned it on, Bill Nick's three FA Cup wins , Two League Cups and the UEFA Cup win in 71-72 were all won with his team doing just enough to get over the line.

All the oldies and boomers share your frustration at only his one League title but I wouldn't call it an underachievement.. For me, Bill Nicholson were a winner.

Spurs top the table calculated over the whole of Nicholson's reign, in an era with Ramsey (manager of Ipswich in 1961-62), Busby, Shankly, Revie, Clough, etc. A caveat would be that several of those managers brought their teams up to the first division and had a better points per game record.

For those who were to young to see the GREATEST goal scorer of all time tonight is your chance, BT sport at 10.30.

The guy was a genius with the ball at his feet.
If I could choose one player to see live from our history who I was too young to see it would be Greavsie every time.

If I could choose one player to see live from our history who I was too young to see it would be Greavsie every time.

Loved the guy so much then when we did the swap deal for Peters i actually gave my ticket to see Peters make his debue for us at the Lane to a mate, decided ( as i was working in Manchester at the time) to see Greaves play his first game for W-Ham at Maine road. Guess what he scored twice in a 5-1 win.

What a superb film about him...wished i was around to be there see him play,his scoring stats were unbelievable. Pity he didn't see his career out at Tottenham perhaps his later issues would have been sorted out sooner .Watched a load of Saint and Greavisie on You tube afterwards what a laugh ,pity sky took all the football off ITV and they had to come off because they had no football to show....

Back