• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jimmy Greaves MBE

Apparently we only 'contributed'....

that could mean anything from £1 to £29000

why aren't Chelsea and West Ham getting stick as well?

I'm absolutely for the club helping him, but let's not forget that the level of help becomes policy, it has to be proportionate and sustainable

An indictment on our club

I think that the club and supporters should do more to help former players, particularly those that played for the club before the money rolled in but does that mean that we should pay for all of his treatment? Greaves played for a number of clubs and had a successful media career after retiring. Are Chelsea and Rupert Murdoch similarly obliged?

The club helped get the trust started with the proceeds from our friendly against DC United. I'd be massively surprised if they didn't donate an annual amount as well.

I've got a friend who used to be heavily involved in the Tribute Trust and he has told me some pretty depressing stories about ex-players falling on hard times or struggling in old age.

The Les Allen hip replacement story springs to mind.

i think this is disgusting, most EPL players are on 50-100k a week and they have to appeal to raise 30k, where's the PFA organizing something here

I'm in two minds on this one. Sure the club should chip in, but Greavsie was one of the best renumerated players in the English game when he played and he tinkled most of it up the wall. If I needed medical attention, my past employers would be under no obligation to contribute to my medical bills, and nor should they be.

On the back of his England performances, I reckon Sunderland fans could raise that in a bucket collection on Sunday and put Levy et al to shame.

That said, didn't the Daily Star say they'd settled the bill ?

I'm in two minds on this one. Sure the club should chip in, but Greavsie was one of the best renumerated players in the English game when he played and he tinkleed most of it up the wall. If I needed medical attention, my past employers would be under no obligation to contribute to my medical bills, and nor should they be.

this is an important wider point, I don't know enough specifically about Greaves to know for sure (although I suspect you are right), on a general basis, since the maximum wage was abolished being a top level professional footballer has been an increasingly well paid job

due to inflation I earn a fair bit more than the guy who did my (IT) job 10 years ago, although at the time he was getting a fair market rate that he accepted, if he needs private healthcare now how in the world should me or my company be indebted?

an ex footballer in need now has far more avenues of help than a ex postman, cabbie or telephone engineer for example

I'll reiterate that I hope he gets all the help he needs, but the club (which other than the name and location is a completely different entity to the time of his employment here) certainly shouldn't be guilted into completely footing the bill

i think this is disgusting, most EPL players are on 50-100k a week and they have to appeal to raise 30k, where's the PFA organizing something here

As I said earlier they are supposed to be there to help ex players and for that they pay Taylor 3 mill in wages, the guys a waste of space.

What an awful situation. My personal opinion is that the crowd funding should continue. It allows any number of people to contribute and it looks like the sum has been raised.

It does raise a definite moral dilemma. When an ex-player falls under bad times, should football clubs and fans pay for the ongoing treatment on the basis of what that ex-player has contributed? I think it would be a lovely gesture for the club to pay for it, but why should they any more than any other employer?

Indeed. Imagine how much they could raise if the PFA got Premier League players to donate 1% of their salary to help ex-pros who have fallen on hard times.

Indeed. Imagine how much they could raise if the PFA got Premier League players to donate 1% of their salary to help ex-pros who have fallen on hard times.

I wish someone amongst our current players could convince the other players to donate a set amount from each weeks wages, to provide a regular source of funds for the Tottenham Tribute Trust.

I wish someone amongst our current players could convince the other players to donate a set amount from each weeks wages, to provide a regular source of funds for the Tottenham Tribute Trust.

It would be nice, but I think any donation has to be voluntary. I certainly wouldn't want my employer setting up a trust for ex-employees and insist that I donate a set amount from my wages. I have my other charities that I think are far more worthwhile.

Back