• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jimmy Greaves back at The Lane

Whiffler

Jermaine Jenas
Hopefully there will be a chance for fan participation, these greats don't live forever. From the BBC sportsfeed

Greaves to join Spurs greats
Football

Posted at 12:46
_82007002_greaves_getty.jpg

Getty Images
About time Spurs...

The club's record goal scorer Jimmy Greaves will be inducted into their Hall of Fame in May.

With 266 goals in 379 appearances in the league, FA and League Cups and Europe, perhaps the biggest surprise is that it has taken this long for Greaves to make it.

It will be the first time the former England striker has returned to White Hart Lane - bar a couple of media appearances - since he left in 1970.

What? There has to be some reason why he's not already in there
clear.png

Not the greatest timing after the sad passing of Big Dave, comes across as "get him in quick"

Just missed out on our double, missed out on the World cup final, genuine bad luck for such a player.

I could only speculate wildly.

We may find out or get some clues, but hopefully we can concentrate on JG the player, and JG the prodigal returning home.

He does a regular 'evening with' type event with some old Chelsea team mates and slags us off all the time apparently

He does a regular 'evening with' type event with some old Chelsea team mates and slags us off all the time apparently

he does make a point of saying he isn't a fan of any club, i've heard him slagging chelsea off in various spurs based interviews as well, I think he's good at giving the audience what they want, i'm sure he claimed on the Spurs show last year that the happiest time of his career was with us and that he was very upset when Bill Nic sold him, he didn't want to leave, that may be part of it

Great news! At last!

Wouldn't it be brilliant if he did an on the pitch half-time interview at a game?

He had a pop at Levy in a sun article he wrote and Levy showed his usual childish behaviour and did not allow him in to hall of fame despite him being our all time greatest scorer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...he-Capital-One-Cup-final-against-Chelsea.html

Why Tottenham legend Jimmy Greaves will not attend the Capital One Cup final against Chelsea
Greaves has never returned to White Hart Lane to watch a game - and will not be at Wembley - because of the manner of his departure 45 years ago

When Tottenham Hotspur and Chelsea run out at Wembley for the Capital One Cup final, there will be no sign of the man who scored a combined total of 400 goals for both clubs.

Jimmy Greaves has no plans to sit in the Wembley stands to watch two of his former clubs compete for the first domestic trophy of the season.

Despite the fact Greaves remains Tottenham’s highest-ever goalscorer, he has never returned to White Hart Lane to watch a game as a spectator since his playing retirement and has not accepted an induction into the club’s hall of fame.

It is believed Greaves has only attended one match at Stamford Bridge, to take his grandson, who is a fan, to watch Chelsea.

Greaves was not at Wembley to witness Spurs beat Chelsea in the 2008 League Cup final and it can only be assumed that he will watch this season’s final on his television.

Telegraph Sport had a request to speak to Greaves about his decision not to go to games turned down, but theories linger around Tottenham that he has never fully forgiven the club for the manner of his departure 45 years ago.

Greaves has made no secret of the fact that he was unhappy with way he felt he was forced out of Spurs to West Ham United in 1970 as part of the deal that took Martin Peters to White Hart Lane.

Having celebrated his 75th on February 20, Greaves turned down the latest invitation from Tottenham to be a guest of honour for the game against West Ham, which took place two days later.

Tottenham marked the landmark birthday of Greaves across all club channels and a half-time announcement at the West Ham game in which the announcer said: “How we’d love to have Jimmy here today.”

Another Spurs legend Ossie Ardilles last week posted a message on Twitter that read:

Twitter: osvaldo ardiles - In Jimmy Greaves birthday party last night. We have to take Jimmy back to White Hart Lane.

The message was retweeted 844 times, with Ardilles claiming he was “trying” to convince Greaves to make a return.

This is not the first time another ex-Spurs star has tried to rectify the situation, as Tottenham have asked former team-mates of Greaves to help their efforts to get him back to White Hart Lane with no success on more than one occasion.

One explanation for his lamentable absence from the hall of fame could be that former players are required to attend a dinner to mark their induction and Greaves, who battled against alcoholism, attempts to avoid events where alcohol is served, unless it is a commercial engagement.

Writing in his autobiography ‘Greavsie’ about his departure from Tottenham, Greaves said: “Bill (Nicholson) informed me that he was at the club and he had Martin Peters with him, who had agreed to join Spurs from West Ham United. Bill went on to say that he was selling me to West Ham as a makeweight in the deal.

“I was taken aback and I was angry. I was so annoyed with Bill for wanting to bring my Spurs career to an end, I simply said, ‘Okay. If you don’t want me at Spurs, I’ll go’. I didn’t have to go, not if I didn’t want to. I still had eighteen months of a contract to run. I could have told Bill I was staying at Spurs and there was little he could have done about it. But I was so peeved that he appeared so willing to get rid of me, I went along with it. What’s the point of staying at a club that doesn’t want you?

“Looking back on that day, I wish I had told Bill I wasn’t interested in moving.”

Greaves has claimed he lost most of the 1970s to drink, following his move from Spurs to West Ham, before managing to stop drinking in 1978.

Greaves scored 268 goals in 381 games for Tottenham over nine seasons after joining the club for a record £99,999 from AC Milan in 1961. He had started his career at Chelsea, where he netted 132 times in 169 games. Greaves is fourth in the list of all-time leading England scorers, having scored 44 goals in 57 appearances.

If that Telegraph article is true (and I don't know if it is or not) then it seems like the club has been trying to rebuild bridges for a fair while.

He was at a recent Spurs Show LIve and had a lot of lovely things to say about Tottenham. He also said he doesn't support Spurs or any other football team.

Back