• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jay Rodriguez

He was probably the best English forward before his injury (ahead of Sturridge, Welbeck, Rooney etc.)

He's been out for an expected time for his injury (ACLs are always 6-9 months). And most players these days make full recoveries from them.

He'd be a £30m player if it wasn't for his short contract and injury, so £10-15m would be a bargain.

added to the fact he seems to be a player that the manager actually wants - for good or for bad (he is not garbage) we should bring him in

It's a bit weird how Rodriguez and Moreno were the two that everyone assumed we would sort out in advance and were sure to bring in this month, yet there's hardly been a word on either.

It's a bit weird how Rodriguez and Moreno were the two that everyone assumed we would sort out in advance and were sure to bring in this month, yet there's hardly been a word on either.

Both are just coming back from 6 month injuries, so perhaps we are holding on as long as we can to make our checks on their fitness?

We also may be waiting on the sales of Lennon and Kaboul/Chiriches respectively.

He was probably the best English forward before his injury (ahead of Sturridge, Welbeck, Rooney etc.)

He's been out for an expected time for his injury (ACLs are always 6-9 months). And most players these days make full recoveries from them.

He'd be a £30m player if it wasn't for his short contract and injury, so £10-15m would be a bargain.

I think you might be bending the truth to your own agenda there GB.....

Sturridge got 21 goals in 29 games in 2013-2014. 1 in 1.38 games
Rooney got 17 goals in 29 games that same season. 1 in 1.71 games
Rodriguez got 15 in 33. That is 1 in 2.2 games (which interestingly enough was a worse average than Adebayor's for us last season - 1 in 1.91).
Welbeck - yes you have a point there.... but didn't Arsenal only pay about £16 million for him with that being without the player having the question mark of the ACL injury?

Rodriguez got 15 in 33. That is 1 in 2.2 games (which interestingly enough was a worse average than Adebayor's for us last season - 1 in 1.91).
Welbeck - yes you have a point there.... but didn't Arsenal only pay about £16 million for him with that being without the player having the question mark of the ACL injury?

Rodriguez wasn't playing in the centre though - he was LWF with Lambert CF. I appreciate Sturridge was playing around Suarez that year too.

got any comparative figures for players who play the same position as him? i appreciate GB named those players in his initial post but 15 in 33 seems a good (borderline great) return for a wide man

Rodriguez wasn't playing in the centre though - he was LWF with Lambert CF. I appreciate Sturridge was playing around Suarez that year too.

True (although I don't think Rooney played as CF for most of that season either). From what I saw of Southampton Rodriguez may have played from the left, but it was quite a fluid formation and he certainly seemed to be freed from any defensive responsibility.

I wasn't disputing that he did well, just disputing your fanciful claim that he was the best English CF that season.

You really have a hard on for him don't you?

havent seen him too much, but he seems like a hard worker, with reasonable skill for the league. nothing special however, which makes me think, is it worth 15m? wasn't so long ago paulinho at 17m was a record signing.

Hotspur Related ‏@HotspurRelated
Daily Mirror claim Tottenham Hotspur are set to step up their interest in Southampton striker Jay Rodriguez. #THFC

Rodriguez could reportedly get the all clear to play next week following a nine month absence causing Spurs to step up their interest. #THFC

Daily Mirror claim Tottenham Hotspur are set to step up their interest in Southampton striker Jay Rodriguez. #THFC

Rodriguez could reportedly get the all clear to play next week following a nine month absence causing Spurs to step up their interest. #THFC

Hmmmm....you wonder if this will be the striker addition we will go for until the summer...potential risk with his ACL (will he be as fast as previosuly for example?) but at least he'll know Poch and his methods

Hmmmm....you wonder if this will be the striker addition we will go for until the summer...potential risk with his ACL (will he be as fast as previosuly for example?) but at least he'll know Poch and his methods

Why until the summer? This could be our long term solution - it seemed to be what Poch wanted last summer as his main forward target (i.e. not a January panic buy).

A medical should show if he's back to 100%.

Why until the summer? This could be our long term solution - it seemed to be what Poch wanted last summer as his main forward target (i.e. not a January panic buy).

The one thing a medical will not show is whether the player's confidence has been affected after the serious injury.
If we can get him for about £12 million then it is probably worth the gamble.... but I fear Southampton will want a lot more.

The one thing a medical will not show is whether the player's confidence has been affected after the serious injury.

If we can get him for about £12 million then it is probably worth the gamble.... but I fear Southampton will want a lot more.

Maybe we can incorporate a new bit in the medical where he has to go for a hospital ball with Mason and Stambouli charging in?

I agree £12m is a fair price.

Always a reason to delay it: let's make it 'his lack of fitness' this time around, and then see what we come up with this summer.

However....Saintsweb has a running thread on his injury situation, and the doom and gloom there hasn't really encouraged me. Rumors that he's still struggling to walk, that the setbacks might have endangered his career, etcetera. Hmm..

really with mitchell around perhaps we should be looking for a younger and injury free J Rod equivalent?

i don't like taking such risks, especially not us... most recently Sandro, a great player and a fan favourite still seems damaged in someway even though he has fully recovered. ditto kaboul, after a long term knee injury.

really with mitchell around perhaps we should be looking for a younger and injury free J Rod equivalent?

i don't like taking such risks, especially not us... most recently Sandro, a great player and a fan favourite still seems damaged in someway even though he has fully recovered. ditto kaboul, after a long term knee injury.

Ings? Pretty close to J Rod in terms of origin and playing style, and he'll be available in the summer for the low low price of free (Levy: "that's my kind of price").

Back