• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Japhet Tanganga

For me, he's not a right back in a million years. Was excellent against City, granted, but that was when he was asked to defend. Full backs need more than that.

He is a very good CB though and I thought he was outstanding v Palace until the rush of blood. That's where I'd be playing him in the future.

he would be ideal on the right of a 3
Him alongside Romero and Rodon or Dier
That would be a string defence physically at least and Rodon and Romero are ball players

That would be a string defence physically at least and Rodon and Romero are ball players

Talk is Nuno may go 3 at the back next week. If so, I'd have Tanganga, Romero and one of Dier or Rodon. Like you, I think that'd be pretty strong.

That would IMO work
But it would need time
It’s exactly how Nuno played at Wolves
It’s exactly how Romero played in Italy

I honestly think he's got to do it to save his job. 4-3-3 is not working and if we play it against Villa, we'll be murdered. If we're murdered, Nunos head is further in the guillotine.

The question is who fills the other 7 positions. I'd personally go with:

Royal
Reggie
Skipp
PEH
GLC/Gil/Ndombele
Kane
Son

On the third midfielder, I'd prefer Ndombele on talent, Gil on attitude and potential but think GLC needs a chance in the middle so I'd start him.

I honestly think he's got to do it to save his job. 4-3-3 is not working and if we play it against Villa, we'll be murdered. If we're murdered, Nunos head is further in the guillotine.

The question is who fills the other 7 positions. I'd personally go with:

Royal
Reggie
Skipp
PEH
GLC/Gil/Ndombele
Kane
Son

On the third midfielder, I'd prefer Ndombele on talent, Gil on attitude and potential but think GLC needs a chance in the middle so I'd start him.
Villa play 3-5-2 so will have bodies in midfield
We can match them or play 3-4-3
If we play 4 it’s Reggie, skipp, one other, royal
The other again is a big call for Nuno
Romero steps into midfield a lot in a 3, so the DM will have a player there.
Tanguy has played this system and played well
Arguably Hojdjberg would be ideal if we were playing safe. He can play there and play a disrupting role further forward like he does for Denmark
Lo Celso could but I think he could be bypassed
The 3 up front are the 3 from yesterday
If we go 3-5-2 we need one of the CMs to step into attack constantly and the only ones who do that are Dele and Gio. But they have to play centrally to make that work

If Nuno plays both Skipp and Hoj plus 3 centre backs plus 2 full backs I think people will moan it is too defensive, regardless of how we actually set up or play.
So he should probably drop Hoj. As you say, Romero is basically a roaming destroyer.

People are raving about Villa this year, so it will be mega tough to beat them. McGinn is once again brilliant. It's a shame Ollie Watkins is doing so well; with that name, before I saw him play I envisaged him as a white weakling with glasses reading a library book.

If Nuno plays both Skipp and Hoj plus 3 centre backs plus 2 full backs I think people will moan it is too defensive, regardless of how we actually set up or play.
So he should probably drop Hoj. As you say, Romero is basically a roaming destroyer.

People are raving about Villa this year, so it will be mega tough to beat them. McGinn is once again brilliant. It's a shame Ollie Watkins is doing so well; with that name, before I saw him play I envisaged him as a white weakling with glasses reading a library book.
It depends on how he uses Hojberg. Play him and Ndombele as 8s then that is fine.

Villa are better than the goons.

If he goes three at the back I'd go

Lloris

Tanganga
Romero
Dier

Royal
Gil
Skipp
LoCelso
Reggie

Son
Kane

A lot of pressure on LoCelso and Gil to create, but equally, a platform to allow them to.

Lucas/Dele/NDombele/PEH off the bench...

Because it will be too defensive. Imagine with the 3 CBs plus 2 DMs. We don't have maraudering FBs who will move up and make up the attacking numbers. We don't have the FBs nor the ACM to make such a system balanced. Instead it will will end up as 7 defensive players and 3 attackers, 1 a striker and the other a WF. Where is the link play or creation going to come from? I get the desire to shore things up after the last 2 games but with so few actual attacking orientated players on the pitch we'll still lose having created nothing. The changes made don't need to be so dramatic, 4231 drop Dele or Ndombele, play Gil on the right.

Because it will be too defensive. Imagine with the 3 CBs plus 2 DMs. We don't have maraudering FBs who will move up and make up the attacking numbers. We don't have the FBs nor the ACM to make such a system balanced. Instead it will will end up as 7 defensive players and 3 attackers, 1 a striker and the other a WF. Where is the link play or creation going to come from? I get the desire to shore things up after the last 2 games but with so few actual attacking orientated players on the pitch we'll still lose having created nothing. The changes made don't need to be so dramatic, 4231 drop Dele or Ndombele, play Gil on the right.
I actually think we have a very comparable ish squad to chelsea, player style wise (not quality of course) to play a 3-4-3

we have attacking left sided players (sessegnon and reggie). We only have Doherty who appears to have done that before on the right but I’m sure royal can adapt

the CBS kinda have a spread of options for us

the CM again we have skipp as a genuine holder, Hojdjberg as the spoiler, Tanguy as a deep lying play maker type, Lo Celso as a B2B type with dele possibly

Then we have a runner/creator in Gil
Kane and son as genuine goal threats
Dele again
Moura as a mad runner/dribbler
Bergwein as a similar role to Moura

to me it gets the best form the squad and can be attacking football when used right

Another 2 that got away.
Saw McGinn at St Mirren years ago and could see the potential, same with Watkins at Brentford.
For the money we could have paid, probably £1m for McGinn and £5m for Watkins, we really should have taken a punt.
On a side note same thing with Robertson when we could have got him for just £2m from Dundee Utd.

Another 2 that got away.
Saw McGinn at St Mirren years ago and could see the potential, same with Watkins at Brentford.
For the money we could have paid, probably £1m for McGinn and £5m for Watkins, we really should have taken a punt.
On a side note same thing with Robertson when we could have got him for just £2m from Dundee Utd.
Watkins for £5m fee would have been when he was a winger
He only spent 18 months a striker before going for the best part of £30m

Watkins for £5m fee would have been when he was a winger
He only spent 18 months a striker before going for the best part of £30m
Yes but you could easily see he would be good for the money. Scored a lot of goals. Same with Tony, another who could have come as Kane's back up.

I think you are right here and that would be his strongest position.
He could also play as a RB in a 4-4-2/4-5-1 type formation where the onus is more defensive than attacking.
Playing a similar high pressing style to Atalanta and asking Romero to play that same role where he goes out to press might actually suit a number of our team.

I think you are right here and that would be his strongest position.
He could also play as a RB in a 4-4-2/4-5-1 type formation where the onus is more defensive than attacking.
Playing a similar high pressing style to Atalanta and asking Romero to play that same role where he goes out to press might actually suit a number of our team.
I’m convinced that set up would suit us
We would be able to even look at using sessegnon more
It would also IMO suit tanguy
I’m convinced it could be the making of the squad if given a chance and time

Back