• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

January Transfer Thread - it couldn't open and close any quicker

I don't know why we'd want to sell Bergwijn now that he has a bit of steam, Conte is talking about him as a second striker, and you've got to assume that he's gotten used to life at the club and of life in London. Who are we going to bring in on a two day notice that will fill in his shoes? The players we buy usually take at least a season to bed in, if at all. I really hope we don't sell Bergwijn now. Would be madness.

Regardless of incomings I’d like us to clear out as much deadwood as possible this window. Not just for the sake of removing bad apples from the squad this season, but to give us a head start on our summer business by having squad places available at the beginning of the window. The last thing we need is spending the entire window trying to shift players before bringing new ones in.

Regardless of incomings I’d like us to clear out as much deadwood as possible this window. Not just for the sake of removing bad apples from the squad this season, but to give us a head start on our summer business by having squad places available at the beginning of the window. The last thing we need is spending the entire window trying to shift players before bringing new ones in.
But shifting the players is the hardest thing

Agreed....problem is that GLC and Nomdbele sound like being loan deals which just kicks the can down the road, though with the hope that they perform well enough to attract a buyer

TBF there's not really that much happening in this transfer window, as predicted by many. Probably only Villa, Everton, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Wolves have made substantial transfer dealings so far:

www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12482997/transfer-news-january-transfer-window-2022-premier-league-ins-and-outs
That list is quite damning for those spinning it as though we’re being left behind isn’t it?!

Barely an incoming of worth in the whole of the Prem, I counted 20 in total across all the teams and that included all the crap on free’s, undisclosed and seemingly youth buys.

TBF there's not really that much happening in this transfer window, as predicted by many. Probably only Villa, Everton, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Wolves have made substantial transfer dealings so far:

www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12482997/transfer-news-january-transfer-window-2022-premier-league-ins-and-outs

Indeed, jan IS a poor window to buy players and most who do move are not wanted by the teams that sell them. I do not want us to buy just squad players as we would have problems shiffting them out in the Summer. ( along with the wasters we already have in the squad)

Yes, though Man C, Liverpool and cheatski dont need anyone, whilst Man U have a far too big squad as it is. Leicester also have a decent, settled squad too...so a bunch of the top teams were never going to do anything really

Last edited:
Indeed, jan IS a poor window to buy players and most who do move are not wanted by the teams that sell them. I do not want us to buy just squad players as we would have problems shiffting them out in the Summer. ( along with the wasters we already have in the squad)

Agreed; as much as I'd like to see us sign some new players, I don't want us to do it just for the sake of it.

We're in a difficult position in the sense that we're relatively speaking a fairly good team, but one that can't promise trophies or CL. To make that step up, we need players that will improve us. And while I have no doubts there are plenty of players that would improve us, they'd need to be available and agree to join a club that's not quite among the very best teams, possibly rejecting offers from other, similar positioned clubs in the process.

This is difficult enough during the summer window, let alone in January.

Agreed; as much as I'd like to see us sign some new players, I don't want us to do it just for the sake of it.

We're in a difficult position in the sense that we're relatively speaking a fairly good team, but one that can't promise trophies or CL. To make that step up, we need players that will improve us. And while I have no doubts there are plenty of players that would improve us, they'd need to be available and agree to join a club that's not quite among the very best teams, possibly rejecting offers from other, similar positioned clubs in the process.

This is difficult enough during the summer window, let alone in January.

Also depends on the ambition of the club, the budget and urgency of the owners.

Yes, though Man C, Liverpool and cheatski dont need anyone, whilst Man U have a far too big squad as it is. Leicester also have a decent, settled squad too...so a bunch of the top teams were never going to do anything really
United are a strange one, they can offload Lingard and van der beek and get a decent midfielder in without worrying about wages to help solidify their top 4 challenge.
Goons and West Ham fans are probably thinking like we are as, get a couple in to help get 4th while it’s open and get a real leg up for the summer.

So whilst my expectations were low anyway I’d be more disappointed if those three did more significant business than us.

I don't know why we'd want to sell Bergwijn now that he has a bit of steam, Conte is talking about him as a second striker, and you've got to assume that he's gotten used to life at the club and of life in London. Who are we going to bring in on a two day notice that will fill in his shoes? The players we buy usually take at least a season to bed in, if at all. I really hope we don't sell Bergwijn now. Would be madness.
I agree and thought the same. Quite flexible position-wise also.

Would be a whole new Spurs angle to persist with a player for 18 months to then offload them when they finally get fit and do something decent.

I agree and thought the same. Quite flexible position-wise also.

Would be a whole new Spurs angle to persist with a player for 18 months to then offload them when they finally get fit and do something decent.

If we're moving more towards a 3-5-2 the only viable position for him would be as a backup to Son, and I think we might look for a better option, if not this window then next window.

He's good, I think he can become very good. But this might not be the right time for him under Conte.

Back