• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

January Transfer Thread - it couldn't open and close any quicker

The job of the scouts and recruitment team is to identify players that will perform on the pitch, not to worry about what Joe Bloggs and his mates think on a forum or Twitter.

I never mentioned what the club would be thinking or doing, but it does not change my point.

I remember saying how bad the summer window was and I was told on here that it was amazing.

One marquee signing that is long term injured.

A competent RB being asked to play an attacking role (0 goals and 1 assist in 13 starts).

An 18 year old that cost in the region of 25/30m that can’t impact games.

A sub GK who appears to be a dud according to most.

A youngster that we won’t see for a couple of seasons.

How are we in a position that the last really decent signing was about 6 years ago. The above are the actions of a bottom half team which is exactly what we will become unless money is invested or Paractici and Hichen can come up with some nuggets.
All easy to say in hindsight.

Romero was looking pretty classy until he got injured. Not a lot we could do about that one.

Royal was a good fit at the time. Can't blame our recruitment for him not being a wingback.

By the 18yo, do you mean Gil? He's done alright for a 20yo settling into a new league.

I'll give you Gollini, of course, and we may never know about Sarr.

Reggie and Royal were both decent signings in their positions, while Romero, Gil and Sarr could still turn out to be "really decent". I agree that we could/should have had a couple more -- we paid decent money for Lo Celso and Ndombele, after all.

As to the lower half teams, we all see the players who come in and look amazing, but we never talk about the ones that don't.

I have a theory that we want to see the next 10 days out and see where we are at in the league
If come then we’re bang up there (as I expect) the club can twist on a few players
If not they make other calls …
Bit of course it’s just my logic
I think it is the other way round.... I think Levy has closed his wallet BECAUSE we are up there in the league and looking (on paper not considering that we have lots of hard games left and a threadbare squad). From what I have seen in ENIC's history we don't tend to invest from a position of strength, the investment tends to happen from a position of weakness.

IMO the problem is that we do not buy players from clubs who are playing a similar system to us.

Back when we were flying under Pochettino we should've been concentrating our purchases on players from clubs playing a situational high press as we were..... Teams like Leverkusen and Monaco. This is especially important for players coming from overseas I think as it is hard enough adapting to the football played in a new country (especially the pace and intensity of the Premier League) let alone also having to adapt to a new system at the same time.

For our next set of signings while Conte is here I think Paratici has to get players who are currently playing in one of the derivatives of teams playing with 3CBs and wingbacks. Otherwise we will end up with more good players looking poor because they are being asked to do two types of adaptation at once (i.e. Royale).

Signing players from Inter Milan would be very sensible (i.e. Brozovic, De Vrij, even Eriksen) as they are already versed in the system so should be able to slot in easily.

All easy to say in hindsight.

Romero was looking pretty classy until he got injured. Not a lot we could do about that one.

Royal was a good fit at the time. Can't blame our recruitment for him not being a wingback.

By the 18yo, do you mean Gil? He's done alright for a 20yo settling into a new league.

I'll give you Gollini, of course, and we may never know about Sarr.

Reggie and Royal were both decent signings in their positions, while Romero, Gil and Sarr could still turn out to be "really decent". I agree that we could/should have had a couple more -- we paid decent money for Lo Celso and Ndombele, after all.

As to the lower half teams, we all see the players who come in and look amazing, but we never talk about the ones that don't.

I said it at the time at the close of the window so it’s not necessarily hindsight. Don’t worry I’m not looking for some sort of award, and it’s not a detraction from the players themselves (Royal will be a decent RB or RCB and Romero looked ok). I just thought it wasn’t a great window considering we had a shiny new DOF and that’s how it’s panning out.

IMO the problem is that we do not buy players from clubs who are playing a similar system to us.

Back when we were flying under Pochettino we should've been concentrating our purchases on players from clubs playing a situational high press as we were..... Teams like Leverkusen and Monaco. This is especially important for players coming from overseas I think as it is hard enough adapting to the football played in a new country (especially the pace and intensity of the Premier League) let alone also having to adapt to a new system at the same time.

For our next set of signings while Conte is here I think Paratici has to get players who are currently playing in one of the derivatives of teams playing with 3CBs and wingbacks. Otherwise we will end up with more good players looking poor because they are being asked to do two types of adaptation at once (i.e. Royale).

Signing players from Inter Milan would be very sensible (i.e. Brozovic, De Vrij, even Eriksen) as they are already versed in the system so should be able to slot in easily.

Very sensible post.

I said it at the time at the close of the window so it’s not necessarily hindsight. Don’t worry I’m not looking for some sort of award, and it’s not a detraction from the players themselves (Royal will be a decent RB or RCB and Romero looked ok). I just thought it wasn’t a great window considering we had a shiny new DOF and that’s how it’s panning out.
If you called it at the time, fair enough. I guess however many years of supporting Spurs still hasn't quite taken away my hope. I'm not sure how.

Still not going to give you an award though ;-)

Said it in the summer, but selling/ losing
Bale
Lamela
Vinicius

and replacing them with Bryan Gil, a kid who’s never played in prem. We were asking for trouble. We are struggling for goals / creativity big time

you have to say, the planning and recruitment has been woeful.

Bale
Lamela
Vinicius

and replacing them with Bryan Gil, a kid who’s never played in prem. We were asking for trouble. We are struggling for goals / creativity big time

What's your view on Bale fitting in with Conte's extreme running tactics?

Bale
Lamela
Vinicius

We desperately need goals in this team
But the players you mention are a combination of players who were too broke in training, too broke to play well away from home or only decent against lower level opposition
The issue was we lost 3 and only got 1

What's your view on Bale fitting in with Conte's extreme running tactics?
Wouldn’t have worked, but I think you’re missing my point.
We lost experienced players who contributed over 25 goals last season. And all we brought in was a kid. Who hasn’t scored a goal (or provided an assist) yet.
Our other option is Bergwijn who we seemingly have given up on and are ready to sell.

it’s dreadful planning/ recruitment whatever way you look at it.

Wouldn’t have worked, but I think you’re missing my point.
We lost experienced players who contributed over 25 goals last season. And all we brought in was a kid. Who hasn’t scored a goal (or provided an assist) yet.
Our other option is Bergwijn who we seemingly have given up on and are ready to sell.

it’s dreadful planning/ recruitment whatever way you look at it.
It’s fudging horrendous
People are obsessed with the defence and midfield but the front line has no one at all
It’s so weak I’m quantity it’s scary
We could have prime Eriksen back big without a body to score we’re damned

It’s fudging horrendous
People are obsessed with the defence and midfield but the front line has no one at all
It’s so weak I’m quantity it’s scary
We could have prime Eriksen back big without a body to score we’re damned
And it’s also an aging front line too now. It’s going to cost A LOT of money to replace Kane, Son and Moura now, very poor succession planning all round.

Back