• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

January Transfer Thread - it couldn't open and close any quicker

we still lack the option of a big no9.

I think classic effective big number nines are hard to find. Plenty of clubs don't even have one. Even when they're big they might not have the back to goal play. Bale, Ronaldo and Antonio are big but because they're essentially converted to that position they don't have the hold up play. It's what makes Kane so special.

If he does not improve we should bin him off to Birmingham and bring in someone who will do the job.
He seems to have recovered some mojo under Conte's oversight.
Even average Kane would be an improvement on what we saw earlier this season. Coupled with the rest of the team around him responding to Conte, then it's hard to see things taking too much of a down-turn - potential for injuries notwithstanding.
It'll be so good to have Romero back, I think Conte's only had him for two games

Like you say, Royal can still learn. However, I do think it's harder to turn a defensive player into an attacking one than the other way round. However, once Romero's fit again I think we'll see a more solid defence, perhaps one that could cover for having Moura (or whoever) at RWB against the bus parkers.

Agree yes.

You don't necessarily need Royal to be a brilliant attacker with crazy dribbling skills etc (he is actually okay with the ball at his feet). It is about feeling at home in the final third and not crapping it. The hesitancy and rush of blood that defenders get when they are in sight of goal causes them to overthink things. You need to be relaxed to play quickly and find the right pass etc. It comes with experience and not trying to overforce things.

Last edited:
I think you could also see Bergwijn/Moura left if needed, and Son up top. Or Berg up top.

I’m surprised to see so many saying they would have liked a 2nd striker or thought we might sign one.

As soon as Conte opened his mouth last week and said Stevie can play striker I pretty much knew that was that (when you also add in Son’s previous).

I really like the front 5. As long as at least 3 of them can be fit at any one time then I think we should be fine. And with all 5 fit we finally have some decent attacking players on the bench.

And Kulusevski can also play down the left. Conte could have a totally fluid front 3, which is not easy for defenders.

I think the big question is whether we have enough cutting edge with the current wing-backs. If they are flying and getting assists and goals, it validates this setup, but without them helping the attack, we are left easy to mark as we only have 3 players who can score/assist.

The new Benta Uri :) can score too. He's not bad shooting form the edge of the box. And who knows maybe Conte will get one of the forwards ready to play right wing back for some games.

Last edited:
Have we ever seen Sess and Reg on the pitch at the same time?

Sess cutting in from RWB and Reg providing width on the left could be a nice option

And Kulusevski can also play down the left. Conte could have a totally fluid front 3, which is not easy for defenders.

I think the big question is whether we have enough attacking cutting edge with the current wing-backs. If they are flying and getting assists and goals, it validates this system and setup, but without them helping the attack, we are left easy to mark as we only have 3 players who can score/assist.

The new Benta Argie :) can score too. He's not bad shooting form the edge of the box. And who knows maybe Conte will get one of the forwards ready to play right wing back for some games.

Yeah I agree long term the system requires wing backs who can contribute goals and assists. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Moura or Berg appear at RWB at some point. Especially if we are chasing a game.

Yeah I agree long term the system requires wing backs who can contribute goals and assists. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Moura or Berg appear at RWB at some point. Especially if we are chasing a game.

But you just said we need goals and assists from there...

We can sign Brereton on a free now - i.e. a pre-contract to start in July. That should be Paratici's big focus for the next few weeks
No we can’t. Players in the English league aren’t allowed to agree a pre-contract deal with another English club, Brereton Diaz can only agree such a deal with a club outside of England.

The Athletic have detail about the Diaz situation :

“The closest and most significant of the latter was Luis Diaz, whom The Athletic can reveal Tottenham had a signed agreement in place with Porto for him to join. The deal was believed to be for €45 million (£37.6 million) plus €15 million (£12.5 million) in add-ons, with terms also agreed with Diaz himself.

However, Diaz being away on international duty meant that the agreement wasn’t yet signed by the time it was essentially thought to have been vetoed by his Colombian agent. The representative in question is said by sources to have objected when it became apparent that Jorge Mendes had the mandate from Porto to oversee the Tottenham move. Liverpool, who were not using Mendes as an intermediary, pounced and agreed a deal at more or less the same price. The Athletic has contacted the Colombian agent for comment.

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy, who did everything he could to pull off the deal, was raging at the turn of events. Diaz had been enthusiastic at the prospect of joining Spurs, and some believe it would have been a better move for him given the stage of his career, but ultimately, he too was seduced by the prospect of Champions League football and working with Jurgen Klopp. Sources have indicated that Barcelona were also in for the winger and prepared to pay €5 million (£4.2 million) upfront followed by €50 million (£41.8 million) in the summer.

How close Spurs came to such a sensational deal is how many will remember the window just gone — and plenty more on the Diaz situation later — but there were many other issues at play for Tottenham as well.

To the club’s immense frustration it emerged publicly last Tuesday that they had made a €45 million (£37.6 million) bid for Porto winger Luis Diaz. This was a deal Levy was far more invested in making happen.

And he very nearly pulled it off. By Thursday morning, there was increasing confidence a deal could be done, with Porto agreeing to the move in writing, and Diaz doing so in principle.

But this was the point at which Diaz’s agent intervened. Porto, who needed the money, were very wary of the deal being scuppered and so welcomed Liverpool’s interest. Liverpool meanwhile were delighted that Spurs had effectively negotiated the price down to a fee they were willing to pay, having baulked at Diaz’s €80 million (£66.8 million) release clause earlier in the window. One of Liverpool’s scouts in South America informed Diaz’s agent that they wanted to do the deal. Liverpool’s owners were convinced by assistant sporting director Julian Ward and his current boss — and soon to be predecessor — Michael Edwards to sign it off.

Diaz was still understood to have been keen on a move to Spurs but was excited to join up with Liverpool, and the deal was agreed.

Levy was left so furious that the cordial relations he has enjoyed with Liverpool’s owners may have been seriously damaged. Some sources close to the situation believe it could lead to a period of hostility between the two clubs.”

No we can’t. Players in the English league aren’t allowed to agree a pre-contract deal with another English club, Brereton Diaz can only agree such a deal with a club outside of England.

I thought oversees clubs could in the Sept-Jan period of the last year of the contract, while the Feb-Jun period was open to domestic clubs too? I thought as long as it didn't prejudice the last transfer window the existing club could sell them, then there's basically no reason or way to stop it?

Agree yes.

You don't necessarily need Royal to be a brilliant attacker with crazy dribbling skills etc (he is actually okay with the ball at his feet). It is about feeling at home in the final third and not crapping it. The hesitancy and rush of blood that defenders get when they are in sight of goal causes them to overthink things. You need to be relaxed to play quickly and find the right pass etc. It comes with experience and not trying to overforce things.

I can agree with you over this, i believe Royal can become a more attacking player with more games. I know i may be in the minority but i have not seen a RWB as a priority this window.

“The closest and most significant of the latter was Luis Diaz, whom The Athletic can reveal Tottenham had a signed agreement in place with Porto for him to join. The deal was believed to be for €45 million (£37.6 million) plus €15 million (£12.5 million) in add-ons, with terms also agreed with Diaz himself.

However, Diaz being away on international duty meant that the agreement wasn’t yet signed by the time it was essentially thought to have been vetoed by his Colombian agent. The representative in question is said by sources to have objected when it became apparent that Jorge Mendes had the mandate from Porto to oversee the Tottenham move. Liverpool, who were not using Mendes as an intermediary, pounced and agreed a deal at more or less the same price. The Athletic has contacted the Colombian agent for comment.

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy, who did everything he could to pull off the deal, was raging at the turn of events. Diaz had been enthusiastic at the prospect of joining Spurs, and some believe it would have been a better move for him given the stage of his career, but ultimately, he too was seduced by the prospect of Champions League football and working with Jurgen Klopp. Sources have indicated that Barcelona were also in for the winger and prepared to pay €5 million (£4.2 million) upfront followed by €50 million (£41.8 million) in the summer.

How close Spurs came to such a sensational deal is how many will remember the window just gone — and plenty more on the Diaz situation later — but there were many other issues at play for Tottenham as well.

To the club’s immense frustration it emerged publicly last Tuesday that they had made a €45 million (£37.6 million) bid for Porto winger Luis Diaz. This was a deal Levy was far more invested in making happen.

And he very nearly pulled it off. By Thursday morning, there was increasing confidence a deal could be done, with Porto agreeing to the move in writing, and Diaz doing so in principle.

But this was the point at which Diaz’s agent intervened. Porto, who needed the money, were very wary of the deal being scuppered and so welcomed Liverpool’s interest. Liverpool meanwhile were delighted that Spurs had effectively negotiated the price down to a fee they were willing to pay, having baulked at Diaz’s €80 million (£66.8 million) release clause earlier in the window. One of Liverpool’s scouts in South America informed Diaz’s agent that they wanted to do the deal. Liverpool’s owners were convinced by assistant sporting director Julian Ward and his current boss — and soon to be predecessor — Michael Edwards to sign it off.

Diaz was still understood to have been keen on a move to Spurs but was excited to join up with Liverpool, and the deal was agreed.

Levy was left so furious that the cordial relations he has enjoyed with Liverpool’s owners may have been seriously damaged. Some sources close to the situation believe it could lead to a period of hostility between the two clubs.”

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Heard it all before on these signings Levy is apparently 'personally invested in'.

Llorente, Aguero, Rossi, Dybala, this bloke - strange how all these 'nearly' blockbuster signings all arrive in the final days of usually utterly disappointing windows to hype people up.

No doubt if we end up signing no one until August 31 we will get another story of a sensational late Spurs move for Mbappe that Levy just couldn't pull off for whatever reason - honest guv, it was real!

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Heard it all before on these signings Levy is apparently 'personally invested in'.

Llorente, Aguero, Rossi, Dybala, this bloke - strange how all these 'nearly' blockbuster signings all arrive in the final days of usually utterly disappointing windows to hype people up.

No doubt if we end up signing no one until August 31 we will get another story of a sensational late Spurs move for Mbappe that Levy just couldn't pull off for whatever reason - honest guv, it was real!
I understand why you would refuse to believe such an account.
Indeed, it's expected of you.

The last line of that article sounds stupid. That is just business and Levy will know that as well as anyone. We will no doubt do exactly the same thing to a smaller club than us at some point in the near future.

Back