• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

He has been superb since Toby arrived. The season before I thought he was awful, like his head wasnt in the game at all.

Strikes me as a player who needs to feel happy to perform, was in a real funk/sulk but getting Alderweireld in snapped him out of it.

Since when he has been nothing short of brilliant.

I think most people are like that.

I think most people are like that.

Not really, there are plenty that can plow through even when not happy or settled and still put in top performances.

Look at Modric, for example. Wanted to leave, tried to strike, didnt get his own way - was outstanding all season.

Jan, to me, got in a mood and his performances were immediately effected. The year before Toby I thought he was really poor.

He has been superb since Toby arrived. The season before I thought he was awful, like his head wasnt in the game at all.

Strikes me as a player who needs to feel happy to perform, was in a real funk/sulk but getting Alderweireld in snapped him out of it.

He was upset during the Sherwood era ( but it was blown out of all proportion by some fans), he has been a excellant player since he came ( if i remember rightly he won a player of the season award in his first season).

He was upset during the Sherwood era ( but it was blown out of all proportion by some fans), he has been a excellant player since he came ( if i remember rightly he won a player of the season award in his first season).

Im not talking about that in the tunnel body language flimflam, Im talking about his form etc over a season or so.

He did start excellently with us, but for a time didnt look half the player, then since Toby looked better than ever.

Everyone has ups and downs, of course, but his "down" was a big one, IMO.

Was it Toby, or was it Poch, though?

Im not talking about that in the tunnel body language flimflam, Im talking about his form etc over a season or so.

He did start excellently with us, but for a time didnt look half the player, then since Toby looked better than ever.

Everyone has ups and downs, of course, but his "down" was a big one, IMO.

Well i agree about the body language rubbish that some fans were bitching about but i disagree that he has been nothing but excellant for us ( of course he has had poor games but so do all players), i guess we will have to agree to disagree. :)

Imagine getting your footballing education at Ajax...and then playing under Tactics Tim. *shudder*

MoM last night....

And, although I've loved some of Mooses performance s this year, Jan is my player of the year.

He is such a lovely footballer to watch (and notice I say footballer and not defender). His reading of the game, long stretch perfectly timed tackles, comfort on the ball and little feints and swerves to mis-direct opponents as he carries the ball really is the beautiful game.

Last edited:
Hugo doesn’t even talk to the ref!
Exactly - Lloris just looks enigmatically into the distance and tries not to cry. The captain is there to influence the refs, call the ref by his first name, tap him on the bum and share a joke, say "I didn't mean it Brian, it's my first one, go on Bri, let us off", encourage his team mates to circle the officials and whinge at decisions, inspire his troops to be brave, get his players to fall over cynically and kill the game, tell Waz to hit it long and run the channels, switch formation, be the go-between from Poch to the players, sort out tickets for families, agree bonuses for the players, sort out social do's etc. It's a full time job, nothing like being "just a player"

Exactly - Lloris just looks enigmatically into the distance and tries not to cry. The captain is there to influence the refs, call the ref by his first name, tap him on the bum and share a joke, say "I didn't mean it Brian, it's my first one, go on Bri, let us off", encourage his team mates to circle the officials and whinge at decisions, inspire his troops to be brave, get his players to fall over cynically and kill the game, tell Waz to hit it long and run the channels, switch formation, be the go-between from Poch to the players, sort out tickets for families, agree bonuses for the players, sort out social do's etc. It's a full time job, nothing like being "just a player"

Every player should be doing that.

You missed a few - shag his team mates wives, slag american tourists over 9/11, kick a doorman in the head, urinate in a glass instead of using the commode :), park in a disabled spot, pretend to be in a final, charge 10k for a tour, be a racist clam, be a regular clam. That's what it takes to be a real captain!!

Actually I think Lloris shouldn't be captain either for some of the reasons you mention, but mostly because I like the captain to be an extension of the coach's ethos on the pitch. A good captain needs to see the bigger picture and be able to influence it, which I might add is very very difficult in the heat of the battle. In one way a goal keeper is perfect as the whole match is in front of him but the benefits stop at the edge of their box. The everyone should be a captain thing sounds nice but not every one is.

Last edited:
Back