• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

James McCarthy

Every time I see an update to this thread I get scared.

I'm no longer scared, I half expect us to pull the trigger and sign a player like McCarthy. As voiced elsewhere, I have doubts about some of our transfer activity. I think we were misguided to sign Wimmer, who I am sure will be sold within 2 seasons. McCarthy is far from good enough to justify a £20m price tag. If we spend that much on him, when there are far better, and cheaper, options elsewhere then it will be a bigger mistake than any of signing Soldado, Paulinho, or Lamela. £20m is a huge amount as far as our team is concerned, £20m would be up there with our most expensive purchases. For £20m we should be signing a player making waves on the International front, not a decent midfielder.

It's also called having the full picture. Do you have the full picture on all Spurs dealings?

Maybe not on Depay but MS was clearly on a plate for us at one point. Even with Depay its evident than Man Utd did not make contact with him until last minute. So there was a transfer window where we should have got our man. Not saying we have 50m for both him and MS but one of those should be a Spurs player by now.

Anybody who wants to say there wasnt a point where we didnt have an unchallenged (no other clubs in for him) window for MS is in denial.

We simply didn't put the money up. Which if we don't have the money is fine by me. But if I see us spend that money (or close to that money) on somebody else nowhere near as good it will confirm my right to be frustrated with our lack of foresight when it comes to identifying key players who can make the difference.

As this is a JM thread ill add my 2 cents. He is a very good tackler but most importantly has the awareness to carry the ball forward in a "Modric kind of way". I don't want him at Spurs especially not for 20 bloody million ( what is the world coming to? ) but just saying he's not as useless as some people suggest.

I'm no longer scared, I half expect us to pull the trigger and sign a player like McCarthy. As voiced elsewhere, I have doubts about some of our transfer activity. I think we were misguided to sign Wimmer, who I am sure will be sold within 2 seasons. McCarthy is far from good enough to justify a £20m price tag. If we spend that much on him, when there are far better, and cheaper, options elsewhere then it will be a bigger mistake than any of signing Soldado, Paulinho, or Lamela. £20m is a huge amount as far as our team is concerned, £20m would be up there with our most expensive purchases. For £20m we should be signing a player making waves on the International front, not a decent midfielder.

I agree 100% but whose else should we sign

Maybe not on Depay but MS was clearly on a plate for us at one point. Even with Depay its evident than Man Utd did not make contact with him until last minute. So there was a transfer window where we should have got our man. Not saying we have 50m for both him and MS but one of those should be a Spurs player by now.

Anybody who wants to say there wasnt a point where we didnt have an unchallenged (no other clubs in for him) window for MS is in denial.

We simply didn't put the money up. Which if we don't have the money is fine by me. But if I see us spend that money (or close to that money) on somebody else nowhere near as good it will confirm my right to be frustrated with our lack of foresight when it comes to identifying key players who can make the difference.

As this is a JM thread ill add my 2 cents. He is a very good tackler but most importantly has the awareness to carry the ball forward in a "Modric kind of way". I don't want him at Spurs especially not for 20 bloody million ( what is the world coming to? ) but just saying he's not as useless as some people suggest.

Not going to get into the MS stuff as that is a lot of smoke and mirrors imo - and even then if the board say 'no more sales' (after the uproar surrounding Callum Chambers sale) then regardless of what was offered e wasn't going anywhere.

On Depay, didn't we try to buy him and he then signed a new deal with PSV, simultaneously with LVG effectively saying to him "stay at PSV to continue your learning curve, i will come back and buy you next season." I don't think with these things happening that we could have done any different to get him; we obviously troed but the LVG factor stopped us imo. I mean why would he go and waste a year at Spurs when he can continue to win/challenge for medals at PSV before then joining Manure instead?
No, i'm not buying that the club did anything wrong with regards to pursuing Depay.

McCarthy - i don't get how you can say he is "a good tackler" and has "awareness to carry the ball forward in a Modric way" but then say you don't want him at Spurs??o_O

He picked up an injury yesterday I believe, which isn't a shock.

20 million is a double the amount we should be paying for the likes of him when top players like cabaye Went for 10 and Song will go for about the same.

That injury he picked up doesn't seem to be an overly serious one. Martinez's come out and said that he was only taken off as a precaution, and that he'd already played for about five minutes post-injury without too much trouble.

20 million is about what he's worth to Everton at this point, imo: that fee would incorporate both his initial fee of 13-odd million and a 50% profit on that, which isn't unwarranted given his overall form since joining them.

However, whether that's what he's worth to us is....still open for debate, judging by the contributions on this thread. :)

That injury he picked up doesn't seem to be an overly serious one. Martinez's come out and said that he was only taken off as a precaution, and that he'd already played for about five minutes post-injury without too much trouble.

20 million is about what he's worth to Everton at this point, imo: that fee would incorporate both his initial fee of 13-odd million and a 50% profit on that, which isn't unwarranted given his overall form since joining them.

However, whether that's what he's worth to us is....still open for debate, judging by the contributions on this thread. :)
There's no debate. He's not worth it. :p

Good news for all the McCarthy haters.

MailOnline Sport ‏@MailSport now30 seconds ago
Everton midfielder James McCarthy set to sign five-year contract extension http://dailym.ai/1JNOEaB

3855561_o.gif

You like Levy seem to be living in 2010.
McCarthy has consistently been one of Everton's best players (maybe even best) in the last two years and is a very good Prem midfielder and better than anything we have. The other issue is that there is a huge difference between taking a risk on a proven Prem player and players who have no experience in this league and have shown very little before that.

He may not set the world alight but he certainly won't flop.

You like Levy seem to be living in 2010.
McCarthy has consistently been one of Everton's best players (maybe even best) in the last two years and is a very good Prem midfielder and better than anything we have. The other issue is that there is a huge difference between taking a risk on a proven Prem player and players who have no experience in this league and have shown very little before that.

He may not set the world alight but he certainly won't flop.

i would never ever select McCarthy ahead of Bentaleb or Mason

McCarthy is unspectacular , does a steady job in midfield knows how to pass a ball and keeps it relatively simple .. He passes better than the two we have , is stronger than the two we have and Is Not afraid to put leg in and defensively Is better than two we have .. I don't think he is what we need though. He won't make that much of a difference or upgrade .. The player I want in middle of field needs presence and someone who would bring a huge upgrade to that area .. That's the player we need .. Schnderlein would have been that player .. After him I honestly don't know premier league experience wise .. We def need someone ASAP though .. Mason bentaleb are ok but I can see why teams walk all over us at times and why we concede so many goals .. On great days like arsenal at home they are brill but days like United away they get absolutely battered and shown up for what they are ...

Back