• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

It's my way or the highway!

ricky2tricky4city

Tom Huddlestone
There is a definite (successful) group of managers whose style basically boils down to 'it's my way or the highway'

Poch, Simeone, Klopp, Mourinho, Conte, and the original godfathers SAF & Biesla

It's easy to think that surely all managers dictate and want control?

But these managers come with a system and tactical approach that requires complete buy-in and engagement for it to succeed.

The aspect that is refreshing is it really does challenge the theory that players have all the power. These men are blind to transfer fees, reputations and do not tolerate any prima donna, disruptive, or divisive upstarts.

It also gives players that are willing, and of only good to very good ability, the chance to be part of something and compete with the 'star' filled top table teams.

Of course the success of some of these managers has taken them to the top table (and perhaps it is harder there??)

We are really lucky to have Poch at this time, i really am indifferent to the craziness of the current transfer market as we have a different approach that means a £5m buy can equally be as successful as a £25m buy. Plus the fact that Poch can develop individuals year on year make me comfortable with the idea that the team can improve by itself not necessarily by bolting on a few £40-£50m players.

Just hoping he is our Sir Alex.

Players do still have the power, they get paid regardless and the manager gets the sack.
Jose, pep, conte and klopp are going to spend fortunes and at three will be failures. They will carry the can and leave, player can ride out contract.
Slightly different for Poch as expectations levels and transfer fees are much lower.

The margins are small at the highest level, Leicester, us and Atletico show that system, team dynamics and a motivated, tactically aware squad can compete (if not always succeed) with clubs that spend way more.

Hence managers are always looking for that percentage point of increase, and the biggest one is easily does the squad/players buy into your strategy? Any decent manager will get rid of a player if he feels said player is a negative influence on squad buy in, morale, effort.

The big name managers are just more famous due to some of the high profile players they have exiled. Jose to me is a little different, I actually think he has exiled high profile players for no other reason than to show he is the only one with power in the club.

Players do still have the power, they get paid regardless and the manager gets the sack.
Jose, pep, conte and klopp are going to spend fortunes and at three will be failures. They will carry the can and leave, player can ride out contract.
Slightly different for Poch as expectations levels and transfer fees are much lower.
Yep. You could argue it was player-power that ensured Jose failed in his third season at Cheatski which in turn ultimately got him the sack. Was the same for AVB iirc.

I've never understood the hype surrounding, the self proclaimed 'Special One.' I'd have got Chelsea trophies with that budget. He's nothing special at all, just a self promoter of the highest order.
The same goes for Pep. What has he actually done? Even a blind man could pick a winning team out of the selection he had at Barca and Bayern. I would argue that Barca got better when he left, and Bayern got worse when he arrived.

Pep isn't a total clam though, as opposed to Mou.

I've never understood the hype surrounding, the self proclaimed 'Special One.' I'd have got Chelsea trophies with that budget. He's nothing special at all, just a self promoter of the highest order.

i dont like him at all, but he has won the CL with Porto and Inter and no-one will be doing that again anytime soon.

it was the same with Ferguson, look what he did with Aberdeen domestically and in europe.

both twunts will go down as 2 of the most successful managers ever

What Fergi did with Aberdeen was off the planet really.

Porto was Mourinhos Aberdeen but at Chelsea he started the "buy the league" trend and has sat cushy ever since.

Back