• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Is there more from this unit than meets the eye?

africanspurs

Justin Edinburgh
Posed in a seperate thread

right now we are sitting in 5th, much like last season we had a purple back which has gone blue

thing is though, looking at our results of late, the injuries we had ......and then looking at the results we have had overall from the start of the season with a new manager and new players....you have to ask yourself....,

What more could possibly be done?

Would someone else in charge have actually changed our fotunes? would SAF have gotten more from this team than AVB has? Would Wenger?

Is there even a player that was gettable that would have significantly changed the situation we are in?

I dont know personally. AVB is good, i know this now when once i had my doubts...but he isnt a miracle worker and he isnt one of the greats ...... but even still....overusing players and asking their permission to come off the pitch aside, i dont know what else this guy AVB could have done.

Last season wasn't a purple patch of good form - it was 3 quarters of a season let down by a prolonged period of relegation form which was entirely avoidable.

Personally i think a question like this should be asked at a much later date - SAF for starters had a much talked about poor start to his united career. Maybe one or two managers could have got more from this team straight away, i doubt it personally, but it's how he does next season onward which will be the true measure of his time here - not what he achieves in a transitional opening season.

"but it's how he does next season onward which will be the true measure of his time here"

Yeah agreed with that, but thats not really what the threads about before you straw man it.

not saying is he or isnt he successful, but is there more from this team than we have seen so far, would someone else had made that much of a difference from start to now?

Last season wasn't a purple patch of good form - it was 3 quarters of a season let down by a prolonged period of relegation form which was entirely avoidable.

Personally i think a question like this should be asked at a much later date - SAF for starters had a much talked about poor start to his united career. Maybe one or two managers could have got more from this team straight away, i doubt it personally, but it's how he does next season onward which will be the true measure of his time here - not what he achieves in a transitional opening season.

SAF had a poorer than expected start to his Man utd career but I think how poor this start was is often overstated. He finished 11th in his first season, after taking over when Man utd were 21st and in his first full season, he finished 2nd. Of course, his fortunes then fluctuated a little bit after but I think people tend to forget just how good an initial impact Ferguson can have on a team because we haven't seen it in decades.

As for AVB, I think he's done well this season. Some mistakes throughout, quality of football has decreased when compared to the Redknapp years imo but we have to give AVB the chance to build his team properly before judging that.

However, I do think a couple of changes in the squad make-up could have helped. The striker situation for me is beyond justification. I also think for a team to be as reliant as pace and wing play as we are to have only 2 wingers in the squad is also not acceptable.

Back