• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

Re: England's last world cup game for 12 years!!!!!

Why? If a kid is 6ft but has greater reflexes, is able to command the area and has better aerial ability, why would they discard them?

Norway is it? Well I think you will reap the rewards for this approach down the road. Players with advantageous physical attributes will always have those. They just have to learn to not be reliant on those attributes as they become less a factor as they get older. Unless you're a goalie.

Tangentially I was speaking to a goal keeping coach a few months back, we were commenting on the massive size of this 13yr old kid playing in goal at a match we were watching and he said they are testing kids who want to be goalies before they let them into the academies, and can predict with some accuracy as to how tall they will get. He said they are disregarding any kid who won't make 6'5 straight off the bat.

Ahaha :)

"Our youth academy" is referring to the might Tottenham Hotspur youth academy, not Norway's ;)

Norway is no further along than England I think, although some positive moves are being voiced it's all muddled in with the same junk you get in England. I don't particularly care though, I care much more about Spurs than about the Norwegian national team.

Norway is it? Well I think you will reap the rewards for this approach down the road. Players with advantageous physical attributes will always have those. They just have to learn to not be reliant on those attributes as they become less a factor as they get older. Unless you're a goalie.

Tangentially I was speaking to a goal keeping coach a few months back, we were commenting on the massive size of this 13yr old kid playing in goal at a match we were watching and he said they are testing kids who want to be goalies before they let them into the academies, and can predict with some accuracy as to how tall they will get. He said they are disregarding any kid who won't make 6'5 straight off the bat.

I'm 6'5, but even at age 15 I was still not taller than 5'6 or something. There's no way they could have predicted that. My brother is a good 6'' shorter than me.

Ahaha :)

"Our youth academy" is referring to the might Tottenham Hotspur youth academy, not Norway's ;)

Norway is no further along than England I think, although some positive moves are being voiced it's all muddled in with the same junk you get in England. I don't particularly care though, I care much more about Spurs than about the Norwegian national team.

All the gravel covered pitches being replaced by artificial turf will help, as will the smaller pitches with cages built at schools.

I'm 6'5, but even at age 15 I was still not taller than 5'6 or something. There's no way they could have predicted that. My brother is a good 6'' shorter than me.

You are obviously a freak of nature ;)

I don't know how they do the test to be honest but that's what I was told. Could have been a porkie I guess though the source didn't seem the type.

It's not so much to do with your height. Foot size is a better indicator.

I say stop the panic.

England were a bit unlucky and were in a tough group. We have played a lot worse at WCs and gone to the quarter final. I see that Costa Rica are playing Greece so it could easily have happened again.

My point is that you cannot make judgements based on two games about the state of English football. Hodgeson is getting the blame from some but this is harsh and he is the best person to take us onward.

We see average premier league players doing well at the WC and England pick the best English players from the premier league. We see this every World Cup and euros because it's a cup competition the best don't always win and this makes it difficult to judge.

Nevertheless we have not beaten a top team in a major championship with the exception of Argentina in 2002, holland in 1996. In the modern era, we really haven't ever down it consistently.

I firmly believe that it's not one specific problem but a cumulative effect due to all of the above reasons.

The only two I would like to add are:

1. the effect of growing up in England and knowing that your local club is in the top 20 in the world. This means that in order to make it to the world stage you don't need to change or learn other styles of play. Foreign players have all played technical or alternative styles before coming to the premier league.

2. Forget about the issue of not enough English players playing in the premier league, they aren't good enough and the championship is still the 5th highest revenue league in the world! It's the lack of English players in the European cup competitions that's the real issue for England.

Fear not. Joey Barton has renounced his international retirement. Having watched the WC he believes he can perform at that level (did not specify if it England's level or the other. teams).

He'll never be picked, but it's not a question of a quality.

Screw the finnesse England should just pick a team of clogger's and scum
Barton, Sidwell, Terry etc

Go retro

England XI vs. Norway: Hart; Stones, Cahill, Jones, Baines; Ox, Henderson, Wheelchair, Sterling; Rooney, Sturridge

Not need to worry though, your U18 side would beat Norway. Hell, Norway's U18 side would trouble the senior, lazy, no good pansies.

england-norway-flowchart.jpg

I don't like Wayne Rooney the person, but even I'm getting a little sick of the stick he gets. A lot of it is 100% justified and he didn't help himself by slating the fans in South Africa 4 years ago, but it seems like he gets the blame every time we don't win which is a bit OTT considering Golden Balls, Gerrard and co didn't get anywhere near the same stick (Beckham got dogs abuse after 98 but that wasn't for poor performances).

Also a bit sick of people ALWAYS blaming the manager. We got drawn in a group with 2 teams who are better than us, what did people realistically expect? I realise that the term "realistic" isn't in some people's vocabulary when it comes to England.

EDIT: Whilst I'm on a rant, does anyone else agree that the furore about who the captain is is overblown?

Last edited:
Back