• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Independence...

KerryDale

Carlo Cudicini
What do you think guys ?

The country is ****ed anyway, as a Jock living in England for 22 yrs, should it matter to me ?

Dare I look forward to your replies ! 8-[

Tommy Sheridan...

[video=youtube;h6GsEKrCvgw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6GsEKrCvgw[/video]

I wonder where Cornwall would be with now if they had the independence some people crave. Would anyone be bothered about fixing that rail link?

Similar applies to Scotland IMHO. If you have some kind of misfortune, you won't have the UK and it's assets to bail you out. You're walking out on us, we keep the flat, the car, the TV, the dog....

Take independence, but understand what it means. It's membership of the EU and the Euro or be out of the single market and use a new currency or the Pound.

I personally don't really mind if the Scots leave, and I'm sure most of the UK feels the same, but don't expect to leave and still have all the benefits of the Union. BBC? NHS? Those a British institutions, as a foreign country Scotland will have no more rights to them than the French or Germans.

An interesting one will be open borders. All new EU states are legally obliged to join the Schengen agreement of open borders with the rest of the EU. As the UK is not part of this agreement, the UK and Scotland could not have an open border. If we did, it would basically lead to us joining the Schengen area via Scotland.

Scotland seems to think they can have their cake and eat it in relation to the UK and Europe, that will not be the case IMO. The same could be said for the Tories and the EU, we want all the benefits of the EU and none of the costs. At least I think the Tories are more realistic about the consequences of leaving the EU however, the SNP seems to be promising the Scottish people they can have the best of both worlds and it's not true.

Take independence, but understand what it means. It's membership of the EU and the Euro or be out of the single market and use a new currency or the Pound.

I personally don't really mind if the Scots leave, and I'm sure most of the UK feels the same, but don't expect to leave and still have all the benefits of the Union. BBC? NHS? Those a British institutions, as a foreign country Scotland will have no more rights to them than the French or Germans.

An interesting one will be open borders. All new EU states are legally obliged to join the Schengen agreement of open borders with the rest of the EU. As the UK is not part of this agreement, the UK and Scotland could not have an open border. If we did, it would basically lead to us joining the Schengen area via Scotland.

Scotland seems to think they can have their cake and eat it in relation to the UK and Europe, that will not be the case IMO. The same could be said for the Tories and the EU, we want all the benefits of the EU and none of the costs. At least I think the Tories are more realistic about the consequences of leaving the EU however, the SNP seems to be promising the Scottish people they can have the best of both worlds and it's not true.

A grest post Richie. I think Alex Salmond is delusional and looking for any which way in how to bolster the yes vote, hence his outburst on friday about David Cameron preaching upon high from Mount Olympus. I didn't see it as that at all and I also don't doubt that Cameron will make his way upto Scotland over the coming months to make his point.

The biggest thing for me is the fact that they think can retain the Pound Sterling and also absolve themselves of debt whilst accrued as part of the union. I don't see how that is feasible personally.

If they want out then fine, Im sure they won't be missed greatly this side of the border but don't expect to enjoy all the benefits of the union if you despise it so much.

How it would affect the rest of the UK I am not sure, we wouldn't have the trident thing (or would we?) But as far as I'm concerned you can have that and be a ready made nuclear power so long as you keep the red button in a safe place and promise not to do anything with it.

But in terms of Scotland I'm convinced it would be a disaster. In some way I like it because it would give a opportunity to see what would very likely be a left wing nation. But I don't think it would work in Scotland and you're probably much better off in the union.

As a Scot what do you think KerryDale?

Trident would just have to move to an English base, its still RN Subs. I think Salmond has actually said they don't want Trident there anymore anyway.

Trident would just have to move to an English base, its still RN Subs. I think Salmond has actually said they don't want Trident there anymore anyway.

On that basis, wouldn't the North Sea oil also be ours?

If it's our army/navy, surely it's our oil?

Depends where the international waters get drawn I suppose, they'll have to be re-done, although I expect as they are currently British they will remain so until Scotland successfully appeals for ownership.

Depends where the international waters get drawn I suppose, they'll have to be re-done, although I expect as they are currently British they will remain so until Scotland successfully appeals for ownership.

In my mind they'll get drawn along whatever lines the country that keeps the army/navy chooses. It's probably not that simple.

I have no idea how it works, I'm sure there is a system as we've seen with the arguments over waters off of Spain/Portugal and those in the South China Sea

Scotland would not be members of the EU so would have to apply, the UK holds a veto on countries joining :)

I personally don't really mind if the Scots leave, and I'm sure most of the UK feels the same, but don't expect to leave and still have all the benefits of the Union. BBC? NHS? Those a British institutions, as a foreign country Scotland will have no more rights to them than the French or Germans..

Add to that the Army, Navy, Air Force, Police force and numerous other government run institutions who would all no longer be responsible for supplying services in Scotland.

An interesting one will be open borders. All new EU states are legally obliged to join the Schengen agreement of open borders with the rest of the EU. As the UK is not part of this agreement, the UK and Scotland could not have an open border. If we did, it would basically lead to us joining the Schengen area via Scotland..

Scotland, as above, would not be part of the EU therefore the Schengen agreement does not come in to play, we would ahve to have a closed border between us and Scotland. Can we rebuild Hadrian's Wall.

The SNP always have tried to pull the wool over the eyes of the scottish people, noone in their right mind would vote for independence without knowing the full facts and the SNP sure as hell won't tell them the truth.

Good points campsur, I'm assuming it's the same for the NHS and National Insurance.

The SNP really haven't thought this through, they will have to build an infrastructure for 5 million people from scratch, all they have so far is a funky building in Holyrood and an admittedly solid industry in Whisky production.

If it happens it will be a hell of an experiment to watch from the sidelines.

In my mind they'll get drawn along whatever lines the country that keeps the army/navy chooses. It's probably not that simple.

Sadly not. We would likely have to comply with standard international drawing of boundaries, which would give Scotland 90% of North Sea Oil. Would be an interesting debate to see.

Regardless, Scotland won't vote for independence so it doesn't matter.

Sadly not. We would likely have to comply with standard international drawing of boundaries, which would give Scotland 90% of North Sea Oil. Would be an interesting debate to see.

Regardless, Scotland won't vote for independence so it doesn't matter.

The tories changed the sea boundaries last year so that more of the North Sea oil came under England and therefore Westminster.

I found it quite funny that got away with it.

Got a link to the story?

You would have to do a search on the telegraph website i remember reading the story and chuckling to myself. Im all for the Scots doing whatever they think best for themselves. Would mean i would be less likely to wake up to a labour majority in the rest of the UK if the scots went there own way.

Im more interested in what is going on in Switzerland at the moment and also the mental plan by the soviet european union making all details of trust public knowledge.

Think it is something to do with the maritime boundaries can not remember where i read it because it was months ago but i did read something about it.

Think it was Blair that changed and the tories changed it back again recently have a read of this http://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2012/01/scotlandengland-maritime-boundaries/

can not find a direct link but im sure the tories changed it becuase it made me laugh, i thought the scots got done over as they have a few times in their history but hey we are getting done by the EU so everyone gets f*cked by someone all you can do is rubber up.

Add to that the Army, Navy, Air Force, Police force and numerous other government run institutions who would all no longer be responsible for supplying services in Scotland.

Surely Scotland could lay claim on parts of British services transferring across to Scotland. Scottish taxes helped develop those services, if they wanted to withdraw from the UK they should be able to take their fair share out with them.

Back