1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

If you could sign one Ajax player....

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by AdamB, 8 May 2019.

?

if you could sign one Ajax player for Spurs, who would it be and why?

1. de Ligt

47.9%
  2. Neres

2.1%
  3. Van de Beek

16.7%
  4. Ziyech

12.5%
  5. de Jong (I know...Barca...)

18.8%
  6. other

2.1%
  1. AdamB

AdamB Barry Daines

Today is going very slowly.....so, hypothetically, if you could sign one Ajax player for Spurs and irrespective of price/wages, who would it be and why?

2. Huddy

Huddy Clint Dempsey

De Ligt

He's so far advanced for his age and finding good central defenders is not easy. De Ligt and Sanchez could form a formidable partnership for the next 10 years.

3. Modric THFC

Modric THFC Christian Ziege

Why does everyone think we'll be shopping in the most expensive shop in Europe in the summer.
    Everyone will want one of these Ajax players.
    They don't need to sell.
    The players probably don't really want to leave yet.

4. AdamB

AdamB Barry Daines

Might not be the most popular choice but I'll go for Neres. Reason being that players in his position in a similar age (22) and who have had a good couple seasons often go for stupid prices and alternatives might be out of our reach

5. AdamB

AdamB Barry Daines

you missed the word 'hypothetically'

Huddy likes this.
  6. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

It depends who leaves

de Ligt is the perfect replacement for Alder
    de Beek would be a good replacement for Eriksen (though Dybala would be the prefect one)
    de Jong would have been the perfect replacement for Dembele

For me de Jong is the best player, but de Ligt is the one I'd prioritise now (sensing Eriksen may stay, but Alder won't)

DaygoSpur and MKSpur like this.
  7. SubZero

SubZero Richard Gough

Depends on who we lose over the summer. If Eriksen goes and Toby stays or vice versa. But my vote goes to De Ligt, he could be our mainstay in defense for 10 years (not that it would happen). How on earth do Ajax produce so many great players all the time?

8. AdamB

AdamB Barry Daines

I dont think they do, do they? This is their first golden generation for a while - the last one was probably the Overmars, Kluivert etc one wasnt it?

9. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Pedro Mendes

The prices quoted for title winning and CL semi final reaching ajax players are not much higher than Grealish or wan bissaka.

SubZero likes this.
  10. Robbo

Robbo Pedro Mendes

Slightly OT, but some internet rumour the other day claimes de Beek will be ours for £40m or so.

Most of these lads will be in exceptionally high demand though, so my feeling is we'll have to see who is left when the vultures are done. De Ligt would be amazing of course, but he's bound for Barca, Real or City for a fee and wages we are nowhere near to be able to afford.

11. SubZero

SubZero Richard Gough

I would include players as De Jong and Sneijder, in addition to those they have made stars, like Mido (haha) and Zlatan. I may have exaggerated the amount in my head, but few could argue that they are a top level talent factory.

12. SubZero

SubZero Richard Gough

De Ligt would be the perfect replacement for Kompany which is so annoying. He could even do a job alongside Van Dijk. Get us De Ligt and van de Beek (I don't know why, but now I want him) plus a fairly good striker backup, and I would be happy with the summer transfers.

papaspur likes this.
  13. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

Ajax won't do a Monaco. They don't let more than 1 or 2 go a year.

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  14. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Ralph Coates

Agree
    It’s their model

15. FatBloke

FatBloke Ramon Vega

Massively hypothetical question, so I've gone for de Jong. Players of that quality in the middle of the park (whether DM or AM) are what turn good teams into great ones. To be that good so young is incredible. Like Guardiola or Scholes.

At any one time there are only a handful of great centre midfielders. While de Ligt looks amazing, he wouldn't make as much difference to a team that already has Alderweireld, Verts and Sanchez...and Foyth, once he's calmed down a bit.

Ajax don't need to sell, but that's what they've always done. As they say on Game of Thrones, it is known. I can see 4 or 5 of their first XI leaving this season, probably for crazy prices. I can only hope that Spurs are seen as a good place to go -- we've got a bunch of former players, a fantastic stadium (that they'll have seen up close), and a top manager.

SubZero likes this.
  16. Rorschach

Rorschach Vic Buckingham

They have perfected their academy and coaching system. Best in the world.

De Ligt for me too. A born leader of men is what I see besides the footballing ability.

17. SubZero

SubZero Richard Gough

Agreed, except I would swap De Ligt for Sanchez or Foyth in a heartbeat. But it should be an incentive for any Ajax player to come to us seeing their players getting such important roles at Spurs.

Legohamster likes this.
  18. FatBloke

FatBloke Ramon Vega

That's a good point. I know I voted de Jong as we're better stocked at CB than CM...but he probably would be the Ferdinand, Terry or Adams type. Or even Kompany. A true captain who drags his teammates along by the scruffs of their necks.

Whatever. I'd take any of them. We're not going to get them.

19. jts1882

jts1882 Simon Davies

Van der beek or de Jong if we can get them sighed before 8pm. We can make a tidy profit selling them on to Barca in the summer.

20. afsoc4life

afsoc4life Jonathan Woodgate

Central midfielder

Mosquito_Coasting likes this.