• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I miss these days

So serious rose tinted glasses here.
Many of those players were constantly vilified on here, as was Redknapp.
If we tried to sign the equivalent of most of those today people would freak out and say they are inferior.
Who cares about individuals, it's the sum of the parts. I'm sure people thought some of Harry's signings were below us/a step backwards, Palacios, Defoe, Gallas, Crouch etc.

It is a different league now. The money floating around means most teams have real quality and determined managers. Watching us on the up is always going to be better than watching us fall from grace. We never really rebuilt from that Modders-Dembele midfield. The amount of flack Walker took in his early 20s with us, it is funny he's now lauded. Ekotto was Levy et al at their bargain basement best. He was decent, but by the standards of today, he wouldn't suffice. And that is the problem, our expectations were lifted. We used to be happy with plucky up and coming players who gave their all. Now, that isn't enough.

Bit of fun. Put together a team from the past 10 years (or so)

...............................LLoris...............................
Walker.............Toby................King..............Ekotto
...................Dembele..........Modric.....................
Bale....................Eriksen...............................Son
...............................Kane...............................

...............................Lloris...............................
Walker...........King................Vertonghen.........Rose
.............................Wanyama............................
..............Eriksen.......................Modric...
................................VDV.................................
......................Bale...............Kane.....................

Bench:
Gomes
Toby
Ekotto
Dembele
Lennon
Dele
Son

Madness not having Dembele in a joint team.

Lloris
Walker King Vertonghen Rose
Dembele Modric
Bale VdV Eriksen
Kane
Friedel
Corluka
Toby
Dawson
Ekotto
Wanyama
Davids
Dele
Son
Lennon
Berbatov

Assuming at least 1 game in said position:

Lloris
Toby King Vert
Son ------------------------------ Bale
Modric Dembele
Lennon ----------- Eriksen
Kane​

I don't care about no stinkin' balance.

Dembele and Modric in midfield. I've just shot my load. No one would get the ball off us.

fudge me, we've had some players over the last decade. Just never the right pieces all together at the right time.

Madness not having Dembele in a joint team.

Lloris
Walker King Vertonghen Rose
Dembele Modric
Bale VdV Eriksen
Kane
Friedel
Corluka
Toby
Dawson
Ekotto
Wanyama
Davids
Dele
Son
Lennon
Berbatov
I had Wanyama instead of Dembele as it gave a very attacking team better balance. Dembele was a brilliant player but I see less need for his dribbling ability when paired with those other five wonderful attacking players in front of him. Wanyama wasn't as 'good' as Dembele but I thought he would be a better fit for the overall effectiveness of the team.

Ah yes what a season and one of my favourite online spurs vids. Managed to get to a lot of games that season, had the ST but got to most away games, obviously City the highlight but just a real feel good season.

Think it was Everton away where we nearly fudged it up, missed a pen or two and ended up drawing 2-2 and I thought we were done and never going to manage top 4. then we picked up again and had that week of doing Arsenal and Chelsea and then the big clash at the Etihad.

Nice to remember that I actually love this football club.

EDIT: I could watch those fudging limbs at City away for hours on repeat, I have a scar on my shin from the mental surge when that header went in, a cherished blemish.

Ah yes what a season and one of my favourite online spurs vids. Managed to get to a lot of games that season, had the ST but got to most away games, obviously City the highlight but just a real feel good season.

Think it was Everton away where we nearly fudged it up, missed a pen or two and ended up drawing 2-2 and I thought we were done and never going to manage top 4. then we picked up again and had that week of doing Arsenal and Chelsea and then the big clash at the Etihad.

Nice to remember that I actually love this football club.

EDIT: I could watch those fudging limbs at City away for hours on repeat, I have a scar on my shin from the mental surge when that header went in, a cherished blemish.
If I remember those wins against Arsenal and Chelsea came after we'd lost the FA Cup semi to Portsmouth?.... We really should've had the FA Cup that year and it would've been fitting for Harry's team to have won that competition.

If I remember those wins against Arsenal and Chelsea came after we'd lost the FA Cup semi to Portsmouth?.... We really should've had the FA Cup that year and it would've been fitting for Harry's team to have won that competition.

Arsenal (ROOOOOOOOOOSE!) was 3 days after that absolute gonad*s at Wembley and then Chelsea was the Sat/Sun following that.

Funny thing

Started watching that first video and after 15 seconds I realised every one of the players I had seen had personality. Lennon there in full gangster mode.

These clowns that play for us now talk the talk but I don't really feel it from them in the same way.

Also would kill for Huddlestone to be playing now.

Back