1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Discussion in 'Classic Threads' started by SuprSi, 30 Aug 2013.

1. Jurgen the German

Jurgen the German Jimmy Cantrell

It really isn’t. Struggle to think of a more one footed player other than Lo Celso. Why do you think he tries so many rabonas? He’s clearly very good at them but it’s largely down to the fact that he can’t use his right foot. He tried it against Leeds when it would have been easier to use his right foot and the ball went out of play. The only other Spurs player who I can recall being as one footed is Lee Young Pyo who was a right footed left back but rarely touched the ball with his left.

Beckham was also one very one footed.

Reguilon is actually quite good on his right foot.

2. Hotspur75

Hotspur75 Hossam Ghaly

I saw him score a great goal recently with his right peg. Keeper had no chance.

MKSpur and Finney Is Back like this.
  3. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Ian Walker

Lo Celso heavily favours his left but Lamela's one footedness makes Lo Celso look like Glenn Hoddle mate!

4. Finney Is Back

I think a player like Lamela would probably make an OK squad player for a team like us with ambitions of top 6. The problem being that typically he is injured far too often to be worth keeping around as a squad player, especially with him taking up a valuable overseas player spot as well.

I also struggle to know what position Lamela can hold in a decent team. He is far too one footed and dwells on the ball for too long to make a real difference as an attacking midfield player and cannot play as a deeper midfield player as he has the positional sense of a 7 year old in the playground, charging around after the ball and pretty much constantly the wrong side of his player when we're defending.

I think there a few Spurs fans out there who like his snidey ways on the pitch, personally though I can't stand those snidey sorts of players

Legohamster and K.D.D.D.D.Soc like this.
  5. Jurgen the German

Jurgen the German Jimmy Cantrell

Agree with this. I think he’d be a good player for a team like Everton or Leeds, assuming he can retain his fitness. He’s a good passer but as you say his decision making is impaired by holding on to the ball for too long.

6. parklane1

parklane1 Terry Dyson

There are a lot of players who are stronger on one foot then the other but most of them can use both feet if/when needed. Lamela is the exception and because of that good defenders will always know what he is going to do on most occasions, and because of that will find him easier to mark. Good luck to him but he should be one of the first players we move on this summer.

7. Bishop

Bishop Mauricio Taricco

I like Lamela but he's not a good passer. He takes too long to make the decision to pass and when he does they are slow and wobble to the receiver. You never see him play a crisp pass into feet or space. He does have the vision I'll grant him that but his execution and decision making is pretty terrible.

It's times for him to move on as he just isn't good enough for what we need. He starts on no other top 6 side, I mean he doesn't even start for us!

Robbo, MKSpur, Legohamster and 2 others like this.
  8. Raziel

Raziel Paul Walsh

9. Finney Is Back

If that says that Fiorentina are interested then we could perhaps use that interest to get Milenkovic (though it seems the club have chosen Tomiyasu instead for that position).

10. Modric THFC

Modric THFC Christian Ziege

I'll really miss Lamela.
    Can we get his thread to 600 pages before he leaves.

It says it all about the guy that this thread is longer than Levy's

11. Baleforce

Baleforce Steve Archibald

What’s happening?

<panicking>

Rorschach likes this.
  12. AdamB

AdamB Erik Thorstvedt

I won't. One of the most infuriating players ever at Spurs - has a great attitude, decent physique, decent technique, but produces very little.

He's been at Spurs for 8 years but rarely been a first choice player....which shows his positive attitude, but also the infuriating aspect which I mentioned of him perhaps being too much in a comfort zone

Happy to see him leave whilst he's still worth something and get Gil back

13. afsoc4life

afsoc4life Mitchell Thomas

Farewell Lamela. If what I have heard about the swap is true, then it may be a good deal. Thanks for the memories and the unmatched brick housing (Hi Cesc).

14. Glenda's Legs

Glenda's Legs Paul Robinson

And Wheelchair. The man certainly knows his audience.

15. monkeybarry

monkeybarry Chris Perry

Apart from all those assists

16. FatBloke

FatBloke Pascal Chimbonda

The last of the Bale 7. If he'd played for us ten years earlier he'd have gone down as a club legend. As it is, he wasn't quite good enough / consistent enough / uninjured enough for our aspirations. If and when he goes, I hope he gets plenty of game time, a few more shots at the Puskas Award, and fans who appreciate his eternal brickhousery. Good luck, Erik.

17. P.D.

P.D. Vedran Corluka

One of the most frustrating players I've seen for us, his technical skills are unbelieveable - that roll of the ball under the studs he does is actually really hard to do but he was injured too much and rarely changed a game. Given some good memories and I'll wish him well wherever he ends up.

AdamB and Legohamster like this.
  18. Legohamster

Legohamster Les Ferdinand

I agree, the delaying of the pass was very annoying because you know he had the ability to do it.

Its a shame some of out other players didn't have his win at all costs attitude and fight.

K.D.D.D.D.Soc likes this.
  19. Goatleaf

Goatleaf Darren Caskey

Erik Lamela - never to be forgotten - the smile of an angel and the instinct of a shark

glasgowspur, Legohamster and DubSpur like this.
  20. Raziel

Raziel Paul Walsh

Not true

What is

- Didn't live up to his potential
    - Injuries fudged him (I put a lot of that on Poch)
    - amazing technical skills
    - Always played for the shirt, more than any other current player by a fudging country mile

But the recent narrative that he never did anything, couldn't pass, etc. is all flimflam
    - He had several very good runs in the side (including some of Jose's best games last season)
    - He scored and or created some very important goals for us
    - He often (see my arguement in Dele thread) had huge impact on cup games.

It's interesting that Ally Gold has said, there has always been interest from other clubs (Especially Italy) in buying Lamela every season, he chose to stay (see the played for the shirt comment).

I will always have time for Coco, and wish him all the best wherever he ends up, I think he will tear up the Spanish league.