• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Standard Lamela. Ran around a lot, refused to use his right foot, held on to the ball too long. Been here nearly 8 years and not good enough to be first choice. Would be asking questions if we give him another contract.

This basically sums him up, has great touch and can use the ball well but ruins it by holding on to it for too long and refusing to use his right foot which loses momentum.

Think he'd be a much better player in a slower paced league.

Who was he to release the ball to, our movement up front was awful.

Plenty of occasions he could have passed to Moura, Kane or Son. Holding on to the ball too long has always been an issue for him, and his flat out refusal to touch the ball with his right foot. It’s one thing not passing with his right foot, he doesn’t even touch with his right when dribbling like he’s got gangrene.

Lots of footballers always want one more touch before passing or shooting so he’s not alone there, but it compounds the problem when he only uses one foot 99% of the time.

Last edited:
And tonight?
Not capable of playing games quickly and too one footed
The guy was great previous two games but awful tonight as he didn’t release the ball
My thoughts are that Lamela is a good option when we have good attacking possession and time on the ball against teams with numbers in and around their box. He can be quite creative in these sorts of games.

He is a terrible option though if we are trying to play counter attack as he is very wasteful in possession.

My thoughts are that Lamela is a good option when we have good attacking possession and time on the ball against teams with numbers in and around their box. He can be quite creative in these sorts of games.

He is a terrible option though if we are trying to play counter attack as he is very wasteful in possession.

That’s a very good point. We have so little of the ball that we have to make it count when we do get it in the final third. It’s not only Lamela who is wasteful, Moura gives the ball away too cheaply and Bergwijn offers virtually nothing in the final third. In addition to 1/2 CB’s and a DM, we need another option next to Son and Kane as Bale hasn’t worked out and the three aforementioned players aren’t starter quality.

Even in those situations he's a poor choice due to his over hogging of the ball and poor pass choice and execution. He's just not good enough to be a starter for where we want to be.

Last edited:
Always through the Bale comparison was a bit unfair and lazy. From the nearly 8 years he has been at Spurs it’s very clear they are not similar in any way. Yes Salad is a massive prick but imagine if we had Salad and Bruno Fernandes instead of Lamela and Lo Celso.

They're comparable in the time they've spent injured or not playing

Even in those situations he's a poor choice due to his over hogging of the ball and poor pass choice and execution. He's just good enough to be a starter for where we want to be.

Completely. Turns 29 this year too. He and Moura need replacing whilst they might still hold some value

Even in those situations he's a poor choice due to his over hogging of the ball and poor pass choice and execution. He's just not good enough to be a starter for where we want to be.
I don't think he is. When the opposition are deep and organised then his hogging the ball doesn't matter too much. He can hold on to it, draw players out and actually create something. Giving away possession when we're dominating the ball anyway doesn't tend to matter that much, unlike when playing counter attacking and you have to really make your small amount of possession on the break count.

Don't get me wrong, Lamela should and would never be a first choice player for a top 6 team (his terrible injury record means he could never be a first choice anyway). However as a squad option he can do a decent job for a team that wants to dominate the ball and play on the front foot.

Plus he is so so one-footed he is easy to corral on a break. Just push him onto his right and he will double back to get to his left. He ruined three strong breakaway chances on Saturday simply because the opposition knows he will not use his right peg more than one in 20...

Back