• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

He went down about 5 seconds after being “punched”. How do you explain that? It was clearly contrived in order to get Martial sent off. It’s wrong that players have to do that but that’s why players fall down in the box to win penalties.

That's the only way to get the ref or VAR to notice it.
It's no different than surrounding the referee or appealing for a throw.
Except those are seen as masculine gestures. So they're okay.

That's the only way to get the ref or VAR to notice it.
It's no different than surrounding the referee or appealing for a throw.
Except those are seen as masculine gestures. So they're okay.

I think people have different expectations than others. Some people wouldn’t expect someone to hit the deck in any scenario football or otherwise with the amount of contact Lamela received. Would you have been happy if Martial had gone to ground with the nudge Lamela gave him? I know I wouldn’t have been. Personally I think it should have been a yellow card to both players.

Quite right that certain tackles have been outlawed from the game and players can’t get away with some of the hatchet fouls that were acceptable in the 70s. But there’s a world of difference between that and expecting a fully grown man to remain on his feet with minimal contact.

Last edited:
You see players exaggerating contact from a tackle countless times every game. How was this any different?

Its no different. But I’ve not condoned players making the most of contact, manufacturing contact to win penalties, feigning injury etc unless I have missed something? In a way I’m happy we are more cynical than we used to be but also feel conflicted because I don’t like to see players behave like that. I’m not singling Lamela out as he’s far from the only one. Naturally I’d be even more annoyed if someone did what Lamela done against us and Dier or Sanchez got sent off.

True colours? :confused: What are you on about? All players cheat to some degree but the extent to which players do is worse in other leagues and nations in my experience watching football. The world is so sensitive these days it’s probably not very PC to say it but it’s true IMO. I think the premier league is catching up though tbh.

IMO, Souness was unwise to use the language he did, but I got the gist of what he was saying and I don’t disagree.

I would rather be on the end of lamelas cheating than souness or keanes.

True colours? :confused: What are you on about? All players cheat to some degree but the extent to which players do is worse in other leagues and nations in my experience watching football. The world is so sensitive these days it’s probably not very PC to say it but it’s true IMO. I think the premier league is catching up though tbh.

IMO, Souness was unwise to use the language he did, but I got the gist of what he was saying and I don’t disagree.

I don't see the point of even comparing the two?

Why couldn't he just call Erik out for cheating? Bringing where he is from matters what?

I don't see the point of even comparing the two?

Why couldn't he just call Erik out for cheating? Bringing where he is from matters what?

You’d have to ask Souness. He’s not the first to criticise South American players for that kind of behaviour though. Whether it’s appropriate to bring up where he’s from is another debate but again I don’t think it’s inaccurate tbh.

I'd be wrong to say the reason they do it is because if where they were born. What Souness said was racist.

I wouldn’t go that far but each to their own. On the subject of racism, it exists everywhere all over the world but it’s clearly worse in some places than in others. That’s the same way I view cheating in football. It happens over here the same as anywhere else and to say otherwise is naive but honestly I believe it’s worse in other countries and leagues. That’s what Souness was getting at I think

Sorry not at all meant as a dig at you, more that stereotypes are dumb because there's good and bad in all.
That was kind of my point. To label embellishing contact as a Latin thing is no different to stating a thuggish foul as a Scottish thing. I think Sky have issued an apology since.

Back