• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Definitely - I wonder, with that in mind, whether Sissoko was intended to cover the pressing attributes of Lamela but just hasn't adapted quick enough to put pressure on the starting XI

I think that would make sense. Sissoko has different qualities to Lamela but he does offer more physicality than the other options.

Unfortunately "work rate and closing down" are not the most important criteria in players playing in the three behind the lone striker. Goals, goal threats ( i.e. Running at pace in behind the defences) and assists in this important position are much more valuable IMO and Son beats Lamela hands down in these areas.
5 goals and 9 assists in 34 games for Lamela last season. 6 goals and 3 assists for Son in 17 games so far this season.

Wouldn't say that's a very big difference, really.

FWIW, minutes per figures for Lamela vs Son during their Premier League careers...

Goal: 701 vs 208
Chance created: 31.7 vs 48.3
Defensive contribution: 13.5 vs 28.5

Unfortunately "work rate and closing down" are not the most important criteria in players playing in the three behind the lone striker. Goals, goal threats ( i.e. Running at pace in behind the defences) and assists in this important position are much more valuable IMO and Son beats Lamela hands down in these areas.

Yep, goals and assists. And by assists, I don't mean crosses bouncing of defenders bums and falling at the feet of Kane in the box. All this talk of his pressing is really saying oh Lamela he's a real trier. Trying alone is not enough, he's an attacking mid fielder, he's meant to score and create. The way some go on about lamella on here, you would think he was the only one who presses. Son presses too and he scores goals.

Yep, goals and assists. And by assists, I don't mean crosses bouncing of defenders bums and falling at the feet of Kane in the box. All this talk of his pressing is really saying oh Lamela he's a real trier. Trying alone is not enough, he's an attacking mid fielder, he's meant to score and create. The way some go on about lamella on here, you would think he was the only one who presses. Son presses too and he scores goals.

Saying that Lamela is good at pressing is not saying that he is a trier. Pressing is one our main attacking tactics. It forces errors and creates chances. Lamela isn't our only player who can do it but he is one of the best.

Nobody is denying it's importance, we are just saying that Lamela isn't the only one who does it. Others do too and score and create goals.

Lamela creates more chances than anyone bar Eriksen and has done consistently over his time here so it's only really goals in which he doesn't really produce and I don't think there's anyone in the attacking positions who comes close to offering his work rate, drive, pressing and tackling/intercepting - Im all ears for who you think comes close to matching his output in those areas? It certainly isn't either of the two players which have been used to replace him whilst he has been injured

Lamela creates more chances than anyone bar Eriksen and has done consistently over his time here so it's only really goals in which he doesn't really produce and I don't think there's anyone in the attacking positions who comes close to offering his work rate, drive, pressing and tackling/intercepting - Im all ears for who you think comes close to matching his output in those areas? It certainly isn't either of the two players which have been used to replace him whilst he has been injured

Creates chances, yep taking a corner that comes off a defender's head and then falls to one of our forwards, not quite the same as a subtle through ball is it?

PQUOTE="milo, post: 881496, member: 122"]I take it that you'd be surprised if Lamela earns his place back then[/QUOTE]

Not right away. Personally, I think the guys a bit of a light weight and I never rated him. He is so un-athletic and slow. He was hopeless when he first started, was okay for periods in the next and hardly set the world on fire this season. He has his moments, but I would hardly be building a side around him. One of the biggest problems in seasons past was Dembele and him slowing our play down. Lamela always wanted to take one more touch and was too predictable in always going onto his left foot. Dembele overcame his weakness, Lamela thus far has not.

why? Because many of these 'assists' that you rate so highly are just these sorts of things. He got many of them from taking corners that indirectly resulted in goals

Someone done a breakdown of his assists and almost all of them were open play, iirc - and if you're going to level that at him then Eriksen should get the same treatment as he takes the vast majority of our set pieces

He's actually pretty adept at 'subtle through balls' which is what I was referring to with the head in hand comment - he's always looking to play people in behind, probably more so than his team mates

Back