• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I.E 9

I'll take another look at it
thanks for the replies

Mick, if you don't like Firefox 9 or the present version you're using the go to oldapps.com They have links to downloads of older versions of Firefox (and the upgrade dates to help you in your choice of version) if you wish to reinstall them on your pooter.

Also....and bear with a technophobe here.......if I installed Chrome (or Firefox) would things like my favourites cut over automatically to the equivalent on the replacement browser, or would I have to start over? (talking favs and bookmarks etc)

In Firefox go to the FILE dropdown tab, then IMPORT/EXPORT (or similar) it will then give you the option to import favourites and settings from IE.

I use XMarks ( http://www.xmarks.com/ ) to sychronise my favourites and store them online, if you ever suffer a computer crash you haven't lost your favourites (which can take years to build up) you merely sync your fixed computer. Install XMarks on every computer you use and you can then access your favourites from wherever you are.

Another reason I like Chrome is that you can sync your favourites through your Google account. Same with Safari and iCloud.

I ran a little test from my home PC just now. I ran various bits, and clicked various websites using IE9 first, then the same things vis Chrome portable...........definitely faster on IE9

I love the bit where you have all your favourites as small icons across the top menu bar

Very nice and clean got to say.

But switching stuff from left hand side to the right is still a bug bear for me.

Gord, is that really you?

Next you ll be telling us how to defragment your hard-drive :D

Never mind you being so bloody patronising, Crawley described himself as a technophobe so I was offering him help in plain English, I think he's old and man enough to tell me himself if I'm teaching him to suck eggs without you sticking your hooter in. Barnet Barnet Barnet ;)

Anyway, enough of digging me out, have you finished that job you started in November yet? :p

Not sure, I don't use a PC so can't I've tried it, but Firefox is commonly accepted as the best all round browser. Perhaps just a bad build? They're up to 9.0.1, so if that's not the one giving you trouble, try it. Otherwise you can also give Safari a go.

Just one less person using IE would make me happy :)

Wouldn't that be among those that despise Microsoft and don't want to use a Mac? (I know most browsers are available on most platforms these days)

Personally use Opera and have done for ages. Loads of features I can't live without anymore and it's all included, no need to install add-ons.

I've had IE9 for as long as I can remember. I find it easy to navigate, it rarely crashes and it's quick so it's good enough for me.

so if Firefox is so good, what did they do to the latest variant of it, which takes 5 minutes to load on my PC?

prior to that - it was all I used in the last 4-5 years

it was an upgrade in september

I've found the same Mick. Been using Firefox for years and was very happy with it until they did something which made it much slower. I've just installed Windows 7 and thought I'd give IE 9 a try before I ported back to Firefox. Very impressed so far, a very clean and fast browser and that's someone who has hated IE in the past.

Backing up my claims on page 1, I am developing a new site at the moment. This is what I got when I tested it across three different versions of IE - three massively different results! This worked fine in Chrome, Firefox and Safari.

How can one browser fudge up a site so much in so many different ways? There's not even a solution to one of the problems without losing a key bit of functionality. Please please please get rid of IE brick!

Click to enlarge the picture.

http://cl.ly/DVyH/brick-thumb.jpg

Attachments

• brick-thumb.jpg
    brick-thumb.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 1
Backing up my claims on page 1, I am developing a new site at the moment. This is what I got when I tested it across three different versions of IE - three massively different results! This worked fine in Chrome, Firefox and Safari.

How can one browser fudge up a site so much in so many different ways? There's not even a solution to one of the problems without losing a key bit of functionality. Please please please get rid of IE brick!

Click to enlarge the picture.

http://cl.ly/DVyH/brick-thumb.jpg

Thing is, Tommy, what percentage of people are involved in web development like you, compared to how many just sit at a home PC, sending e-mail and browsing the web?
For many, that is all they need, and it looks like IE does that job just fine.

That's the problem...no one gives a brick. But the fact that I have to hold back features on a website just to support people running a browser which completely defies to the standards set by those who write HTML is crazy - it's holding back the internet and needs to die.

I believe most web developers make it a personal agenda to inform as many people as possible - it's just simply educating people that their web experience could be so much better.

http://www.iesucks.info/

as a web developer, i must say, people who are still using IE (regardless of version) are fudging muppets.

browserwar.jpg

Back