• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I.E 9

I use it. Pages render much quicker and the UI looks a bit cleaner and less cluttered. You can also pin quick links etc to your taskbar for certain sites if they are optimised for it.

I cant see any reason why you would deliberatel stay on IE8.

I can see any reason you would deliberately use any version of IE. It's been holding the web back for years, switch to a proper browser if you have a choice. Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

I can see any reason you would deliberately use any version of IE. It's been holding the web back for years, switch to a proper browser if you have a choice. Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

chrome is massively memory hungry and firefox has done something bad to its latest incarnations. On my current PC firefox was taking up to 5 minutes to load

IE9 has speeded up both my home pCs and my work one

I've never used chrome personally, because of all of the negativity

prior to IE9 I hadn't used a MS browser for years

Granted I've never used Chrome on a PC, but it's brilliant on a Mac. Memory issues aside, you just aren't getting the same experience in IE. I'm a web developer and it is the single most painful thing I have to deal with. If fewer people used IE, the web would move forward so much faster.

Granted I've never used Chrome on a PC, but it's brilliant on a Mac. Memory issues aside, you just aren't getting the same experience in IE. I'm a web developer and it is the single most painful thing I have to deal with. If fewer people used IE, the web would move forward so much faster.

why am I going to get a better browsing experience?

open browser, put in what I'm looking for - it takes me to a point where I bimble around til I get what I want - its not the opera, or a rock concert.

all I do is open a browser to go straight to igoogle, and then go exploring from there.

At the moment, on my PC - IE9 does it quickest

I'm not being confrontational, I genuinely don't understand what else i want from a browser, apart from it to open quick and get me where I want to go quick

I'm happy to be educated, IT and internet are just tools to me, beyond personal use, its just a comms medium for some of the telecomms work I do.

why am I going to get a better browsing experience?

open browser, put in what I'm looking for - it takes me to a point where I bimble around til I get what I want - its not the opera, or a rock concert.

all I do is open a browser to go straight to igoogle, and then go exploring from there.

At the moment, on my PC - IE9 does it quickest

I'm not being confrontational, I genuinely don't understand what else i want from a browser, apart from it to open quick and get me where I want to go quick

I'm happy to be educated, IT and internet are just tools to me, beyond personal use, its just a comms medium for some of the telecomms work I do.

No, fair enough and you're exactly the most common person using the web - most people don't realise this, and that's why as web designers and developers we have to support right back to IE7 (or even 6).

IE9 is better in its support of modern features, including HTML5 and CSS3, but it's still not all the way there. The whole IE 'franchise' is what I have a problem with. They are only just killing off IE6, despite knowing how many bugs and serious security flaws it's had for years.

In terms of what you're missing out on, most of it is bells and whistles - advanced video techniques, drag and drop interfaces, web fonts and other mainly presentational things. But the fact that other browsers support them and IE doesn't is the frustrating thing for me. I basically have to develop two different websites.

For day to day use, most people will get away with IE9 fine. The older versions of IE, get rid of them...they are actually a risk to people who run them. But the web could have evolved to the point that native Apps on an iPhone are now if it wasn't for IE.

so if Firefox is so good, what did they do to the latest variant of it, which takes 5 minutes to load on my PC?

prior to that - it was all I used in the last 4-5 years

it was an upgrade in september

Not sure, I don't use a PC so can't I've tried it, but Firefox is commonly accepted as the best all round browser. Perhaps just a bad build? They're up to 9.0.1, so if that's not the one giving you trouble, try it. Otherwise you can also give Safari a go.

Just one less person using IE would make me happy :)

Not sure, I don't use a PC so can't I've tried it, but Firefox is commonly accepted as the best all round browser. Perhaps just a bad build? They're up to 9.0.1, so if that's not the one giving you trouble, try it. Otherwise you can also give Safari a go.

Just one less person using IE would make me happy :)

I'll take another look at it
thanks for the replies

Anyone using it yet?

Any benefits over 8?

I run 9 on one of my PCs - no major problems

Main difference to 8 would be minor graphic tweaks, etc. Looks a bit 'cleaner' to me. No noticeable difference in speed although a rare crash is still a reality

Last edited:
Installed 9 last night.
Seems to have speeded up my PC considerably. Not sure about the "clean look" though. I can't seem to find stuff I want.

Used to be a drop down for history on 8, but can't find it on 9?

Anyone?

Also....and bear with a technophobe here.......if I installed Chrome (or Firefox) would things like my favourites cut over automatically to the equivalent on the replacement browser, or would I have to start over? (talking favs and bookmarks etc)

np

You can copy your favorites along - just google it or once you install it - copy paste into your new browser's favourite folder

I've got Google chrome portable as a link on my desktop, as I was having 1 or 2 compatibility issues with sites on IE8.
I think chrome and 9 browser layouts look similar?

Yes - the tabs window reminds me of early Safari versions.

You can't reinvent the wheel that often - it's all about the script ultimately

Ok, heres a question for the techies out there.

Virgin mobile uk........I can access the site, I can log into my account using e-mail and password, but I then get presented with 3 options (as I have mine and my 2 boys phone accounts on my name) but when i click any of the three tabs to go into that particular numbers account, I get the "internet explorer cannot display the webpage" response, and am therefore unable to look at the accounts.

However, if I go in using google chrome portable, I get in.

Virgin mobile have been unable to help.

Any of you lot got an idea? Is it a cookie issue?
I have accessed it in the past, but its been like this for ages now.

Back