• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I aint no Sheikh-but lets talk weather

It's been sooooo good that I keep forgetting it's April and not summertime. So used to sunny mornings...and capping the days off with stunning sunsets. The living is easy.

April showers at last today though.

Cold and rainy. Back to how it should be! Is a little global warming so bad for us in this country?

Threw a bunch of old veg seeds in the ground a few weeks back. Amazed some sprouted. Been watering them each day through April. Was practically no rain. Yesterday the water butt was empty. So was nice to see the rain fill it up again today.

I need to learn about growing veg. Managed to get some leeks, betroot and rank bitter salad leaf which is inedible. Chucked in radishes, swedes, cauliflower and some others this time but not sure whats whats yet. Any tips on nice things to grow?

Cold and rainy. Back to how it should be! Is a little global warming so bad for us in this country?

Threw a bunch of old veg seeds in the ground a few weeks back. Amazed some sprouted. Been watering them each day through April. Was practically no rain. Yesterday the water butt was empty. So was nice to see the rain fill it up again today.

I need to learn about growing veg. Managed to get some leeks, betroot and rank bitter salad leaf which is inedible. Chucked in radishes, swedes, cauliflower and some others this time but not sure whats whats yet. Any tips on nice things to grow?

The wife shares an allotment. We have a lot of sweetcorn going in nothing like fresh sweetcorn so much better than shop brought.

Yes! Corn you buy is always starchy. Fresh sugars quickly turn to starch. Same with pees.

Allotments are a cool thing. Respect to anyone diligent enough. Is it correct that everyone has a right to an allotment patch? A law passed in the world wars stands till this day that anyone can request a plot to grow their own? With this virus it might well be the way forward. You avoid the supermarket virus breading grounds and fresh produce gives you masses more vitamins than goods that have spent days being shipped around.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

We grow 80% of the fruit and veg we eat. It's a community scheme (about 14 of us). Being doing it for 12 ish years? Although Ive barely been there for a year as been pm and building/refurbing houses for my mum and now us. The Mrs goes to do both our hours...and the kid loves it .

As Chich says own grown sweetcorn is bliss and other stuff that is much better than the shops are cucumbers, peas, sprouts, leaf salad, early spinach, purple sprouting, early spuds.

We have orchard fruits, and berries (redcurrants, blueberries, gooseberry, raspberries, blackberries, blackcurrants, strawberries).......and up to 6 hives now for honey.

Used to have chickens but the old fox was smarter than us:(

Yes! Corn you buy is always starchy. Fresh sugars quickly turn to starch. Same with pees.

Allotments are a cool thing. Respect to anyone diligent enough. Is it correct that everyone has a right to an allotment patch? A law passed in the world wars stands till this day that anyone can request a plot to grow their own? With this virus it might well be the way forward. You avoid the supermarket virus breading grounds and fresh produce gives you masses more vitamins than goods that have spent days being shipped around.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Yep an old council by law means you have a right to an allotment.

If i knew how to put up videos i would show you ours.

The sweetcorn we planted in pots in the conservatory last month and only put out this weekend into the ground.

Lucy put out asparagus 2 years ago and we have cut some already this year. The cherry trees in the back garden did not like the move from chichester to bramber. We have quite a bit of fruit in strawberries and raspberries that don't take a lot of work.

Lucy also does pumpkin for me because i love the orange colour in autumn. My birthday is October 29th and i alwayd have pumpkin bread for breakfast on it.

We had a dabble with home grown veg and it has been rewarding, although we now have snails gathering around our Brussels faster than a troop of furloughed chavs on a Sunny day.

We had a dabble with home grown veg and it has been rewarding, although we now have snails gathering around our Brussels faster than a troop of furloughed chavs on a Sunny day.

Same. And slugs. Hate the things, and get squeamish about killing them. :rolleyes: What are folks preferred slug control methods?

Over the fence for the neighbour to deal with is the most humane, for the slug. I've heard of people collecting them and flushing them down the lav - giving the blighters a chance I suppose. My better half likes to chop them two. Or let them drown in a jar. How do Buddist grow any food?

Far easier to put down some pellets, but would prefer an alternative.

Back