• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

I said after his first season here that the way he plays ( rushing off his line and sweeping up) that sooner or later he would get one of those wrong. Well it happened last night but its the price you pay sometimes for the way he plays ( and its not as it happens that many times).

However he does seem to be under pressure more often then he used to be but as others have said its not all down to him, our defenders are not playing as well as they were?

We should definitely keep Hugo, but we should tell him to rush out slightly less

At present he will rush out for a 30:70
He needs to rush out for 50:50s

The rush out against Barca was comical - as though he had decided pre-game that he was so hyped up he was going to rush out no matter what, even if he was 10 yards away from getting there. He was too hyped up to be playing Barca in the CL.

Last night was a chance to show his critics that was a one-off... and he did it again.

We should definitely keep Hugo, but we should tell him to rush out slightly less

At present he will rush out for a 30:70
He needs to rush out for 50:50s

The rush out against Barca was comical - as though he had decided pre-game that he was so hyped up he was going to rush out no matter what, even if he was 10 yards away from getting there. He was too hyped up to be playing Barca in the CL.

Last night was a chance to show his critics that was a one-off... and he did it again.

But he was quick off his line on Saturday to save odd arnoutivic in a way most keepers couldn’t dream of

I saw the event again just now. I still cannot get over how poorly judged it is.
It was not Peak Hugo. And for the past few years our only proper complain against him was his relatively poor kicking. I am confident this is a momentary dip in form after his world cup mistake/drink driving conviction and that he'll recover to his best. And to be honest, unless GazzN improves we don't currently have the financial weight to upgrade or even similargrade Hugo.

He has a split second to make a decision in an evolving situation, if he pauses to consider it he leaves himself open.
A goalkeeper has to make a decision and stick to it and hope he is right.

I said after his first season here that the way he plays ( rushing off his line and sweeping up) that sooner or later he would get one of those wrong. Well it happened last night but its the price you pay sometimes for the way he plays ( and its not as it happens that many times).

Said to the father in law last night, as much of a rooster up this was, he will do exactly the same thing again later in the season and save the day. Its the way it is with a keeper like him. He has in the past done exactly that kind of manouvre and killed a certain goal in the process. Got this one wrong but I wouldnt dream of getting hung up on it.

However he does seem to be under pressure more often then he used to be but as others have said its not all down to him, our defenders are not playing as well as they were?

And I think that played a part. If we looked solid at the back, he doesnt make that same decision IMO.

Wasn't his fault. Let's appreciate what we have with the guy - we have one of the world's best goalkeepers.

Yes, his decision-making is shaky at times, and he has a tendency to crumble on the biggest stages. But we are in a situation where he doesn't have confidence in the defence in front of him, so he has to take more risks to compensate. And naturally that means more mistakes.

That's brave. He could just stay on his line and get beaten by an easy finish instead.

Erratic Hugo is a problem, no direct mistake leading to a goal today but the defence doesn’t seem to know whether he’s coming or going or where he wants them to be, his kicking is actually getting worse, even when he hits his target it’s so slow and loopy that the receiver is quickly closed down.

Erratic Hugo is a problem, no direct mistake leading to a goal today but the defence doesn’t seem to know whether he’s coming or going or where he wants them to be, his kicking is actually getting worse, even when he hits his target it’s so slow and loopy that the receiver is quickly closed down.

The defence not knowing quite where they should be isn't all Hugo's fault. Toby is on the wrong side and his body isn't moving as fast as it should. That impacts on Sanchez as well. Bring back Jan, and the complaints about Hugo's kicking will subside to a low mumble.

The defence not knowing quite where they should be isn't all Hugo's fault. Toby is on the wrong side and his body isn't moving as fast as it should. That impacts on Sanchez as well. Bring back Jan, and the complaints about Hugo's kicking will subside to a low mumble.

Toby is a problem too.

Hugo has played plenty of games behind Verts, it’s always been a weakness.

He's kicking was better than normal today cause he was going longer.

Was glad to see him tearing into Trippier at one point as well after fudge up #2453.

Toby is a problem too.

Hugo has played plenty of games behind Verts, it’s always been a weakness.
I think a lot of our defensive problem are starting with the defensive midfielders who are not as effective as in previous years. Teams like City are getting players in the pockets between the defence and midfield far too easily which puts pressure on the defence. Add to that our defending at set pieces is hardly dominant you can see the jitters at the back. Hugo is the best keeper we have in terms of organising the defence at set pieces as well as sweeping behind the high line. He makes mistakes but we play a high risk system that puts a lot of pressure on him.

What has?
His kicking despite the criticism still stacks up against most keepers
Stacks up very well - especially when the distances he's having to pass are taken into account.

Clicky

I'd suggest our current susceptibility to any kind of pressing is lifting the average pass length and that's having a small effect on the accuracy of his passing. If we had the space at the back afforded to City or Liverpool then many more of his passes would be 5-10 yards at 100% completion.

Back