• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Huddlestone

I'm thinking he struggled to understand how he was no longer good enough to be a regular starter. Not judging the overall quality of the league here, but the teams just behind the top 2 or 3 have gotten better and it takes more than what he produced in the past to get us into the CL. We've taken a step up, but he hasn't put in the extra work to keep up. Too often resorted to the long balls and not mobile enough when we're defending.

I think he might have felt that he was a bit unlucky with injuries. He was a key part of our CL qualifying team and our team in the CL that did really well as far as I remember. Then he was essentially injured for 18 months and struggled to get himself back into a then improved squad. Far from uncommon that good, but not great players struggle with that after a long injury lay off.

I'm not sure if there's any reason to doubt if he's put in the extra work to keep up as he's never been given a run in the team long enough to regain full match fitness and prove himself as good enough.

I think he might have felt that he was a bit unlucky with injuries. He was a key part of our CL qualifying team and our team in the CL that did really well as far as I remember. Then he was essentially injured for 18 months and struggled to get himself back into a then improved squad. Far from uncommon that good, but not great players struggle with that after a long injury lay off.

I'm not sure if there's any reason to doubt if he's put in the extra work to keep up as he's never been given a run in the team long enough to regain full match fitness and prove himself as good enough.

He often seemed to be coasting in games, but still be knackered in the last 10-15 minutes. Some players cover up their lack of skill with effort, with Hudd I think he thought his talent to be enough.

I think Hudd has looked reasonably fit (physique wise) in this and last preseason. I do think however that players like him, who struggle with fitness and mobility need to play regularly to be at the top of their game.

If you look at the excitement on the Hull forums, you will realize what Spurs fans often fail to appreciate, because we have someone better in a position, doesn't mean the guy on the bench is brick. Hudd is a good player, still with promise to be better, but with Sandro/Dembele/Paulinho/Capoue in front of him, his chances for consistent 90 min run outs will be small.

Hull gives him the opportunity, good luck to the guy. Personally I think he should have taken the risk and moved to the continent, style there more likely to suit him as others have said.

I think Hudd has looked reasonably fit (physique wise) in this and last preseason. I do think however that players like him, who struggle with fitness and mobility need to play regularly to be at the top of their game.

If you look at the excitement on the Hull forums, you will realize what Spurs fans often fail to appreciate, because we have someone better in a position, doesn't mean the guy on the bench is brick. Hudd is a good player, still with promise to be better, but with Sandro/Dembele/Paulinho/Capoue in front of him, his chances for consistent 90 min run outs will be small.

Hull gives him the opportunity, good luck to the guy. Personally I think he should have taken the risk and moved to the continent, style there more likely to suit him as others have said.[/QUOT

I am concerned that these midfielders are pretty much the same and in that respect Hudd offered us something that we didn't have, especially against teams that are hard to break down. I trust AVB but I am disappointed with this sale and for a measly 5m.

I don't think there's any clear intent there at all. The route we seem to be going down is the "most talented, affordable players that will play for Spurs" route - the first two adjectives being the ones that currently rule out British players.

On the money. AVB clearly always wants talented, hard workers who will get on with it. Hudd and JJ were not good enough for the standard he is seeking...I personally still believe in Lennon massively.

Tom Huddlestone has accused Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas of driving him out of the club.
Hull City’s £5.25million record signing also claimed the Spurs boss is trying to destroy the British culture at White Hart Lane that served Harry Redknapp so well. The England midfielder, 26, was a regular starter under Redknapp but became a peripheral figure under Villas-Boas.
He said: ‘I didn’t get a fair crack of the whip. I played games where results were good and I felt my own personal performances were good, but then I would find myself out of the team for six or seven weeks without any explanation.

article-2395092-1B515CCD000005DC-653_634x475.jpg
Tiger Tom: Tom Huddlestone is pleased to have joined Hull from Spurs

'That was very disappointing, but I am not the type of lad to go knocking on the manager’s doors demanding answers on a Monday morning.
‘I know people go on about my injuries, but I was fit and available for most of last season. So it was frustrating not to get more game time. I knew the manager would be happy for me to go if the right bid came in.’

And Huddlestone was happy to leave. ‘It’s a revolving door down there,’ he added.

‘In my first few years the policy was to buy young British players — like me, Aaron Lennon, Gareth Bale, Michael Dawson and Jermaine Jenas.
‘Now most of us have left and it seems like the club is going the other way round and bringing in established continental players.’

I can't believe there are people moaning when someone comes out and says what they really feel.

It seems bland speak is what a lot want.

I think this is the most telling quote about Tom.

I am not the type of lad to go knocking on the manager’s doors demanding answers on a Monday morning.

I think maybe he should have been and maybe what AVB wanted.

I can't believe there are people moaning when someone comes out and says what they really feel.

It seems bland speak is what a lot want.

I think this is the most telling quote about Tom.

I am not the type of lad to go knocking on the manager’s doors demanding answers on a Monday morning.

I think maybe he should have been and maybe what AVB wanted.

Interesting that, because immediately following this report (below) towards the end of last season he played the full 90 minutes in every one of our last five games. Prior to that he'd not managed a full game since November.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...re-if-not-assured-regular-starting-place.html

We won three and drew two of those last five games btw.

Hudd should look at himself before blaming others. He has been at Spurs for 8 years but have failed to establish himself in the first 11. The reason is he is too inconsistent and error prone. He still played 28 matches last season. So, he cannot say AVB didn't give him chance last season. In fact, AVB still gave him chance in the pre-season and it was Hudd's blunder which caused our defeat to Sunderland in Asia Cup. I think Hudd was given enough chances to prove his worth but he has failed to take the chances. Maybe if he had concentrated more on his football rather than hair, he would have done better.

In the past we have signed young promising English players from the lower leagues. This strategy has stopped. We seem to be more focused on buying players for the now, rather than players with potential. I don't necessarily disagree with this approach because once you reach a certain proficiency level it becomes harder for potential be realised.

Do you think that Holtby was signed as one for now?

Interesting that, because immediately following this report (below) towards the end of last season he played the full 90 minutes in every one of our last five games. Prior to that he'd not managed a full game since November.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...re-if-not-assured-regular-starting-place.html

We won three and drew two of those last five games btw.

I did not remember that.

I would have kept Tom..but he is gone now and that is the end of the matter.

Hull gives him the opportunity, good luck to the guy. Personally I think he should have taken the risk and moved to the continent, style there more likely to suit him as others have said.

I've also thought that a move to the continent would suit Tom but I think the amount of money you an get in wages at a low level epl team is probably more than he'd get at a mid table team in any other league.

Hudd should look at himself before blaming others. He has been at Spurs for 8 years but have failed to establish himself in the first 11. The reason is he is too inconsistent and error prone. He still played 28 matches last season. So, he cannot say AVB didn't give him chance last season. In fact, AVB still gave him chance in the pre-season and it was Hudd's blunder which caused our defeat to Sunderland in Asia Cup. I think Hudd was given enough chances to prove his worth but he has failed to take the chances. Maybe if he had concentrated more on his football rather than hair, he would have done better.

Yes, he had a poor season overall last year, and yes, he was often far too prone to error, although he was certainly coming back to his best towards the end. However, most players have a bad run at some point or other in their careers. i seem to recall quite a few top players who have had the same problem, eg van Pirsie, Rooney, Lampard, Ferdinand, I could go on. That doesn't necessarilly mean they'll never again regain their previous levels of performance.

I just feel it's sad that so many fans fail to make any allowances when long-serving players clearly struggle following a long lay of to recover their best form. Hell, take it to it's logical conclusion we could easily have given up on Bale. I seem to recall Arry absolutely putting his foot down on that one, makes me wonder what might have happened if AVB had been in charge at the time.

Yes, he had a poor season overall last year, and yes, he was often far too prone to error, although he was certainly coming back to his best towards the end. However, most players have a bad run at some point or other in their careers. i seem to recall quite a few top players who have had the same problem, eg van Pirsie, Rooney, Lampard, Ferdinand, I could go on. That doesn't necessarilly mean they'll never again regain their previous levels of performance.

I just feel it's sad that so many fans fail to make any allowances when long-serving players clearly struggle following a long lay of to recover their best form. Hell, take it to it's logical conclusion we could easily have given up on Bale. I seem to recall Arry absolutely putting his foot down on that one, makes me wonder what might have happened if AVB had been in charge at the time.

We can't really afford to carry anyone if their 'out of form' is too much below par for that position.

Considering the amount of kneejerking we get if we don't wipe the floor with our opponents, I don't see how anyone could be expected to be given any leeway.

Huddlestone 'makes it look so easy', purrs Hull City boss Steve Bruce

A5012_zps2179f082.jpg

Hull City boss Steve Bruce has labelled Tom Huddlestone a "class act" after the new £5.25m midfielder helped inspire a first win of the Premier League season.

Huddlestone wasted little time stamping his mark on the KC Stadium as a classy full debut set the platform for a 1-0 win over Norwich City on Saturday.

It was a victory that saw City overcome the odds once Yannick Sagbo was sent off in the first half, as a heartening vein of resilience across the side enabled the Tigers to cling to Robbie Brady's penalty for three precious points.

City's first win since promotion out of the Championship saw a host of players shine. Jake Livermore, Robert Koren, Curtis Davies and Allan McGregor all caught the eye with spirited individual displays, but it was Huddlestone who had Bruce purring.

"No disrespect to what has gone before in the club's history, but I think the fans realise when there is a class act in front of you then you're going to enjoy watching him play," said Bruce, after Huddlestone was recognised by supporters as the man-of-the-match award winner.

"When you have that ability, he's just a wonderful footballer and makes it look so easy.

"When you can play off both feet like he can then he has that natural gift to make the game look so easy and that is the sign of a great player.

"He's such a natural, he sees a pass, takes a pass, has both-feet control, and he'll only get better playing week in and week out. I can't remember the last time he's played 90 minutes of a competitive game and we're delighted to get him."

Securing a victory on the day top-flight football returned to the KC has entrenched Bruce's belief that City can avoid the drop.

An unwillingness to surrender came despite a starting XI including six new arrivals against Norwich and the Tigers boss said: "It is important that you bring the right players in because I didn't want to disrupt the spirit.

"A lot of work goes into what a player is like as a footballer but also what they are like as a person, an individual, will they come into the group?

"Let's be fair, Hull City are not the real highlight – we are not going to be splashed all over the newspapers – so you need to be a certain type of player, you need a certain spirit in the team and you've seen that from Huddlestone, Livermore, McGregor, Figueroa and Davies – who was immense. We look into what they are as a person just as much as a footballer."

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/Huddlestone-makes-look-easy-purrs-Hull-City-boss/story-19709087-detail/story.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#axzz2d3RkoN1G

I still can't help thinking that getting rid of Hudd was a big mistake.

Huddlestone 'makes it look so easy', purrs Hull City boss Steve Bruce

A5012_zps2179f082.jpg

Hull City boss Steve Bruce has labelled Tom Huddlestone a "class act" after the new £5.25m midfielder helped inspire a first win of the Premier League season.

Huddlestone wasted little time stamping his mark on the KC Stadium as a classy full debut set the platform for a 1-0 win over Norwich City on Saturday.

It was a victory that saw City overcome the odds once Yannick Sagbo was sent off in the first half, as a heartening vein of resilience across the side enabled the Tigers to cling to Robbie Brady's penalty for three precious points.

City's first win since promotion out of the Championship saw a host of players shine. Jake Livermore, Robert Koren, Curtis Davies and Allan McGregor all caught the eye with spirited individual displays, but it was Huddlestone who had Bruce purring.

"No disrespect to what has gone before in the club's history, but I think the fans realise when there is a class act in front of you then you're going to enjoy watching him play," said Bruce, after Huddlestone was recognised by supporters as the man-of-the-match award winner.

"When you have that ability, he's just a wonderful footballer and makes it look so easy.

"When you can play off both feet like he can then he has that natural gift to make the game look so easy and that is the sign of a great player.

"He's such a natural, he sees a pass, takes a pass, has both-feet control, and he'll only get better playing week in and week out. I can't remember the last time he's played 90 minutes of a competitive game and we're delighted to get him."

Securing a victory on the day top-flight football returned to the KC has entrenched Bruce's belief that City can avoid the drop.

An unwillingness to surrender came despite a starting XI including six new arrivals against Norwich and the Tigers boss said: "It is important that you bring the right players in because I didn't want to disrupt the spirit.

"A lot of work goes into what a player is like as a footballer but also what they are like as a person, an individual, will they come into the group?

"Let's be fair, Hull City are not the real highlight – we are not going to be splashed all over the newspapers – so you need to be a certain type of player, you need a certain spirit in the team and you've seen that from Huddlestone, Livermore, McGregor, Figueroa and Davies – who was immense. We look into what they are as a person just as much as a footballer."

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/Huddlestone-makes-look-easy-purrs-Hull-City-boss/story-19709087-detail/story.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#axzz2d3RkoN1G

I still can't help thinking that getting rid of Hudd was a big mistake.

I still can't help thinking that signing him in the first place was - think what would have happened if we'd have bought someone better and they had played all those games.

More points IMO

He needed to feel adoration, and be the big fish. That wasn't going to happen here. You have build a side around him with others able to do all the running. It was the best move for all concerned. Really glad he's doing well.

I always described him as a luxury we could afford.
Great squad player.
A good example of how we could use him would be this Thursday. With the lead we have, it'd be great to rest Paulinho, Dembele and Capoue ahead of the Arsenal match, but at least one of them will have to play.
Should have kept him, but there we go.

Back