• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Huddlestone

Yep thought so, thanks for clarifying.He can cry and moan all he wants but he simply wasn't good enough.

"In my first few years the policy was to buy young British players — like me, Aaron Lennon, Gareth Bale, Michael Dawson and Jermaine Jenas.
Now most of us have left
and it seems like the club is going the other way round and bringing in established continental players"

Can someone tell this fool that 3 of the 5 he's stated are still at the club.

Beat me to it!

Yep thought so, thanks for clarifying.He can cry and moan all he wants but he simply wasn't good enough.

"In my first few years the policy was to buy young British players — like me, Aaron Lennon, Gareth Bale, Michael Dawson and Jermaine Jenas.
Now most of us have left
and it seems like the club is going the other way round and bringing in established continental players"

Can someone tell this fool that 3 of the 5 he's stated are still at the club.

Not really surprised at the outburst. Footballers have fragile egos it seems.

Regarding his other point, I agree with him. He isn't very smart but he used those five players as an example of a subset of players. Or maybe he knows something we don't. But Dawson only got game time last year because of injuries and I fully expect him to lose his place this season and be moved on in January or next Summer. Lennon I wouldn't be shocked if he was a sudden departure this transfer window. I don't think he fits in with AVB's plans at all. And Bale? I hope he stays, but I can't see it being for more than a season even if he does.

Not really surprised at the outburst. Footballers have fragile egos it seems.

Regarding his other point, I agree with him. He isn't very smart but he used those five players as an example of a subset of players. Or maybe he knows something we don't. But Dawson only got game time last year because of injuries and I fully expect him to lose his place this season and be moved on in January or next Summer. Lennon I wouldn't be shocked if he was a sudden departure this transfer window. I don't think he fits in with AVB's plans at all. And Bale? I hope he stays, but I can't see it being for more than a season even if he does.

Dont you think hes hurting because he has been part of our success over the last few years and quite simply he did not want to leave.

Dont you think hes hurting because he has been part of our success over the last few years and quite simply he did not want to leave.

he did say in another interview that "these are exciting times for Spurs" so of course it must have been a wrench to leave right now that the club are progressing like they are

that is a good point, but he also wont be that stupid and would see with the signings we had made his time was up...

its probably just the press putting a spin on anything they can

clearly doesnt like being dropped. shame he had to go down like that

but it gives us a possible insight into what the club and AVD are doing

clearly we are going down the foreign route and i think there will be many games where just Walker is the the only Brit on the pitch

clearly we are going down the foreign route and i think there will be many games where just Walker is the the only Brit on the pitch

I don't think there's any clear intent there at all. The route we seem to be going down is the "most talented, affordable players that will play for Spurs" route - the first two adjectives being the ones that currently rule out British players.

I don't think there's any clear intent there at all. The route we seem to be going down is the "most talented, affordable players that will play for Spurs" route - the first two adjectives being the ones that currently rule out British players.

Nail on head.

yes, that means the foreign route :)

It must have been quite a leveller that only Hull wanted him, his career has gone from top four to avoiding relegation, he needs to perform well to get a move to another progressive club, massive blow to his ego.
I thought he was nailed on for Jol.

yes, that means the foreign route :)

Not quite. "The foreign route" suggests that we are intentionally targeting foreign-based players - I've seen nothing to suggest that. In fact, we made a couple of enquiries about British-based players and considering the prices we were quoted, I suspect Levy hung up the phone laughing his 4rse off.

exactly.

and of the three still at the club;
Lennon offers something different than most other players and has also worked very hard over the last 4-5 years to adapt his game to become more effective
Bale has developed from being a player with potential and hype that spent most game worrying if his hair clip was falling out, to one of the most sought after players in world football
Dawson has improved his all round game and, despite being told he was surplus to requirements last season, stayed with a determination to prove he could still play a major part. And he did prove that.

Jenas was "ok", but never really kicked on, and is now in the Championship.
Huddlestone didn't do enough to improve his weaknesses or adapt his game to make them not an issue - maybe injury played a part in that, but it remains no matter what the circumstances. Thats why he is now at Hull.

Similarly to all the other "brits" we signed/promoted;
Townsend, Defoe, Walker and Carroll have worked hard and have a chance of making it
O'Hara, Robinson, Parrett it didn't work out for.

All the best to Huddlestone - but serious, shut your mouth, your embarrassing yourself.

Not quite. "The foreign route" suggests that we are intentionally targeting foreign-based players - I've seen nothing to suggest that. In fact, we made a couple of enquiries about British-based players and considering the prices we were quoted, I suspect Levy hung up the phone laughing his 4rse off.

in your mind that is the suggestion. You didnt ask me what i meant. I know the club wouldnt intentionally rule out British players. Im sure if Luke Shaw gave any hint he wanted to join us then we would be all over him to buy him, and for a fee which is over inflated

in your mind that is the suggestion. You didnt ask me what i meant. I know the club wouldnt intentionally rule out British players. Im sure if Luke Shaw gave any hint he wanted to join us then we would be all over him to buy him, and for a fee which is over inflated

Still wouldn't call it a foreign route as there's no emphasis on where the players come from.

Getting the best available players regardless of nationality would be the 'route'.

Still wouldn't call it a foreign route as there's no emphasis on where the players come from.

Getting the best available players regardless of nationality would be the 'route'.

ok ok I get it.....still, like i said, it looks like Walker will be the only Brit for the majority of PL games. Our better players are now foreign and we have a much higher ratio of foreigners to Brits than we had before in recent years

In the past we have signed young promising English players from the lower leagues. This strategy has stopped. We seem to be more focused on buying players for the now, rather than players with potential. I don't necessarily disagree with this approach because once you reach a certain proficiency level it becomes harder for potential be realised.

he did say in another interview that "these are exciting times for Spurs" so of course it must have been a wrench to leave right now that the club are progressing like they are

I'm thinking he struggled to understand how he was no longer good enough to be a regular starter. Not judging the overall quality of the league here, but the teams just behind the top 2 or 3 have gotten better and it takes more than what he produced in the past to get us into the CL. We've taken a step up, but he hasn't put in the extra work to keep up. Too often resorted to the long balls and not mobile enough when we're defending.

Back