• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

How much will we spend this summer?

What will be our net spend this summer?

• Less than we get from sales

• Break even

• £1 - £5m

• £5m - £10m

• £10m - £15m

• £15m+

Results are only viewable after voting.
Of course they won't be disappointed @milo . Everyone on this forum is a perfectly level-headed and rational human being. No "why didn't we get a striker in January" rants (although it would be funny to see how people will react if we don't get a striker this summer: cue meltdown :D).

Part of the reason why I start these threads most windows is because they are a reasonable measure of people's expectations. The biggest backlash tends to follow windows where there are large gaps between expectation and what happens.

Whatever we spend, imo if we don't buy in another CF to be available BEFORE the start of the season it will be proof that we have started to get more interested in haggling rather than just doing a deal. NO excuses for me

Whatever we spend, imo if we don't buy in another CF to be available BEFORE the start of the season it will be proof that we have started to get more interested in haggling rather than just doing a deal. NO excuses for me
So now it's not just getting a striker in, but we have to get him in by a specific date. :confused:

I went for £10m-£15m net.

I think if we sold Chadli (15m), Carroll (does he go on a free? 0m), Bentaleb (10m), Fazio (5m) and Yedlin (5m) - £35m. Plus £15m extra cash, gives us £50m to spend on about 3 players.

I can't see more than 1 or 2 leaving and I can't see enough coming in to cover the Berahino deal alone, I think we'll have to break habit and spend.

I can't see more than 1 or 2 leaving and I can't see enough coming in to cover the Berahino deal alone, I think we'll have to break habit and spend.

Are we signing him? I'd be very happy with that, but I thought WBA might get rid of Pulis and keep Berahino.

Actually I can't see us bringing in much from sales at all.

Yedlin (£3m), Fazio (£2m), Carroll (out of contract and too old for tribunal), maybe £1-2m each for Ball and Ward. That's not even £10m. Even if we decide to move on Chadli too, that's no more than £20m for a back-up CF and any other business we might want to do.

I suppose the Townsend cash is still in the bank, which will help.

I think a lot of those windows were mitigated by a big sale or a newish manager clearing deadwood.

Hopefully won't be the case this summer.

Remember we are 'building' literally for the future.
Any cash around will be mopped up by stadium IMHO

Actually think we might bring in £30m from sales now. If we were to go into next season with Dier, Wanyama, Dembele and Bentaleb as our first choice CMs, with Winks, Ball and then Eriksen, Alli etc as back-up, we could flog Mason as well as Carroll. Plus, it seems that Poch's subs against Saudi Sportswashing Machine suggest Mason's days are numbered.

Chadli, Carroll, Mason, Fazio and Yedlin should just about net us £30m without really weakening us.

Then bring in Wanyama, the Batman from Marseille and an AM and we're sorted!

By the time you factor in the Townsend cash, the net spend doesn't need to be horrific

I went for 1-5 million quid, and really, I expect it to be somewhere closer to the higher end of those two figures, but not much more than that. Thing is, we've already banked a considerable fee from Townsend's sale that we haven't yet spent (as @Gutter Boy points out), and then there are somewhat considerable fees that can be raised from squad players like Chadli and Mason should we move choose to move them on, plus less considerable but still useful fees (probably in the 1-5m range) for fringe players like Yedlin and Fazio that can add to the amount available to spend. So, overall, I think we'll probably see spending hit 40-45 million quid this summer, if my guess is right - however, I think net spending will remain fairly low.

Which is fine for me, as long as the right player isn't passed up because we decided to play little games over the price, drag it to the last day or ignore him because he was too expensive despite Poch indicating that he'd like to see him brought in. If Poch wants a player, give him that player; like Son, like Toby, like our encouraging late moves for Berahino, if the player's right, recouping the price can come later and sealing the deal should be the first priority. Poch, at least, seems like the sort of manager Levy trusts, so that shouldn't be an issue, and I hope it won't be.

And, as I've mentioned before, I personally think Poch has little desire to buttress low net spend figures and rely on inferior youth products *just* to make a point (as Wenger did for many years) - yes, developing young players is one of his strengths, and yes, that usually leads to lower net spends than those at clubs where the likes of Mourinho are put in charge, buuut... as he's shown at Southampton with Wanyama, Osvaldo, Ramirez and others besides, if the money's available and he thinks he needs to buy, he won't hesitate for a moment in spending large sums on expensive players of varying ages and temperaments. And to me, that's a very good thing.

Back