• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

How much will we spend in January?

What will be our net spend in January?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Very, very difficult to predict. On one hand, its January and its Levy; on the other, promises would have been made to Conte and we actually have a DoF now, and he'll want to do deals to justify his existence.

I'm going for two major signings (probably a CF and a RB or CB), and a pre contract for Kessie in the summer (zero cost), offset by at least a couple departures.

So up to £100m gross spending, and then the sale of Ndombele (no idea who to) and CCV, plus another one from Rodon, Dele, GLC, Doherty, perhaps Bergwijn

I could see Dele and Rodon being loaned though, which makes it harder to predict the net spend

I think it'll be far more active than we're used to given the Conte and Paratici factors mentioned above

edit: I went for £26m-£50m

Last edited:
I agree that it is difficult @AdamB. I think that we have some money leftover from last summer, we were clearly targeting a forward and our primary targets fell through. The flip of that is that the total spend for the PL last January was £70m, and big players rarely move mid-season, so I think that expectation management is going to be an issue for some fans.

Issue remains in finding buyers
We couldn’t even sell Aurier I’m the summer and some people thought he was good enough for our team
We have players who are not worth the feed we paid and paid too much for what they deliver that we need rid of

Judging by the closing slides in this Tifo-video, we should knock everyone else off the table this window!

Of course, that is not what's going to happen, but I think we can expect some firework this window, and perhaps a heck of a lot more this summer.
80-100 millions expended, perhaps 40-50 incoming, would be expected maximum for this window. And double that in the summer.

And that would satisfy about a third of the fans. A third will complain about not spending enough, and a third will complain that it is not even nearly enough. :)

Issue remains in finding buyers
We couldn’t even sell Aurier I’m the summer and some people thought he was good enough for our team
We have players who are not worth the feed we paid and paid too much for what they deliver that we need rid of

Several clubs enquired about him and he turned down moves. I think that he was aiming to be released and to negotiate as a free agent.

I agree with your wider point about needing to sell players. It is going to be a buyer's market in January with not many clubs with money to spend. We might have to settle for outward loans.

Voted 26-50. Think we'll spend a bit, but probably won't be room for a massive spending spree.

Outgoings will be difficult, may end up as loan deals. Big incoming deals are difficult for several reasons.

Can't see there being much of a spend with the possibility of playing behind closed doors again in the near future

Gone for up to 50 million, however Jan is not the best time to buy top players so maybe less then that.

Can't see there being much of a spend with the possibility of playing behind closed doors again in the near future

Cases are coming down in london. Boris would look a total idiot if he introduces a lockdown after cases have peaked. Which is entirely possible. But i think his back benchers would lynch him if he did.

Gone for up to 50 million, however Jan is not the best time to buy top players so maybe less then that.

I'd usually agree that jan is a terrible time to buy. But there are a lot of players running down their contracts and with covid (especially some european countries reducing crowd capacity again) clubs are in financial troubles. There may be deals to be had.

We need to do some moves this window. Cl is open. Conte needs to be appeased. Kane is looking for ambition. Can see us maybe spending just over £50m. A couple of players sold or loaned. If vlahovic is up for it maybe £70m.

I would think almost no fee outlays, but maybe 2-3 18 month loans with obligations and pre-contracts.

I think Covid managing leagues like ours will still be nervous about spending just yet, while covid descimated/empty stadium leagues will just need to rapidly shed wages

I'd usually agree that jan is a terrible time to buy. But there are a lot of players running down their contracts and with covid (especially some european countries reducing crowd capacity again) clubs are in financial troubles. There may be deals to be had.

Well i guess we will see and i hope you are right, my concern is that we do not need anymore squad fillers we need players who have a future as first teamers and as i have said not many TOP players move in Jan. Lets hope this year will be different.

Well i guess we will see and i hope you are right, my concern is that we do not need anymore squad fillers we need players who have a future as first teamers and as i have said not many TOP players move in Jan. Lets hope this year will be different.

Well for one juventus have written to their shareholders. Due to the investigation into their transfer dealings they might not be able to refinance their debts. If the banks do withdraw they face bankruptcy. Probably why we've been linked with de ligt (doubt we'll get him though). Kulusevski on the other hand.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport.../juventus-warn-transfer-police-probe-25608305

Alvarez agent is in europe offering him about. £17m release cause in his contract.

Last edited:

Top players or players with top potential that are capable of doing a job already should be the focus for sure.

I guess the possible exception would be someone Conte and Paratici see as a great for for the current system even if they're not seen as top players as such right now.

Definitely not squad fillers.

Top players or players with top potential that are capable of doing a job already should be the focus for sure.

I guess the possible exception would be someone Conte and Paratici see as a great for for the current system even if they're not seen as top players as such right now.

Definitely not squad fillers.
I agree
If conte wants an old pro who he thinks can do a job with tweaks we should back him
If he wants a no name, we should back him

Lots of decent players available for free in the summer, must be some cheap deals to get done in January.

Back