• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

How much will we spend in January after income from sales?

What will our net spend be in January?

• Total voters

milo

Jack L. Jones
The same question that we asked in the last two windows. How much will we spend after income from sales?

Definitely less than £5m. I expect another one similar to last Jan, where we spent about £2m on Holtby and Fryers.

It's been 9 windows now since we last spent anything sizable (January 2009). These are austere times while the stadium is being built.

Sales will obviously be key - Defoe and Ade are the main ones we need to flog. Hopefully we can turn some of our long term loans into sales too (BAE, Livermore, Khumalo, Falque and Dawkins) to raise some extra funds so we can stretch to both a LB and CF/LF. One will probably end up being a loan though.

It will depend entirely on if we can get the players we want, surely?

If we can get Luke Shaw for 15-20 I think we'll spend it, if we can't entice him then we won't spend that amount..

I get the feeling we won't have a fixed budget, much like the previous window and will spend the money, whatever that amount is, if we can get the players that we really need..

If Defoe goes for the reported 6 million quid Toronto FC are apparently willing to pay for him, then that plus his wages will equate to considerable savings. Add to that the small profit we made this summer (two million quid, I believe, although obviously with all the clauses and deferred payments in footballl these days it could be a lot more or a lot less) and we'd have 8-odd million quid to spend on a replacement for him, plus space on the wage bill to accommodate a replacement. If we manage to sell Ade as well (If I remember correctly Besiktas were sniffing around him earlier on) we'd have a lot of room to maneuver, both in terms of our net spend and our wage bill.

Now, I believe we need to buy a striker in the 16-20 million bracket, to give Soldado some competition and offer an alternative off the bench. I also believe we need a left-back, but slowly I'm coming around to the fact that there won't be many of them available in January, so we won't be spending on one. One striker is enough to beef up our forward line, because I believe that Kane's showed enough in the brief appearances he's made so far to be our third-choice striker should the need arise. Therefore, a strike-force of Soldado + the new guy + Kane will probably be enough to both see us through the season and provide a longer-term tactical alternative to playing it into Soldado's feet (i.e, an aerial threat or a trequartista type). That will cost a little more than what I'm anticipating we'll receive from the Defoe + Ade deals, hence my assertion that we'll end up spending somewhere between 0 and 5 million quid net.

We might also get a left-back on loan. Go crawling on our dirty hands and knees to Real and beg them for Coentrao, perhaps. That would sort out our squad depth as well.

It will depend entirely on if we can get the players we want, surely?

If we can get Luke Shaw for 15-20 I think we'll spend it, if we can't entice him then we won't spend that amount..

I get the feeling we won't have a fixed budget, much like the previous window and will spend the money, whatever that amount is, if we can get the players that we really need..

Spot on I think.

How about this loan that Lewis has apparently allowed us? £50m, wasn't it? That's the word of a series of respectable posters, including Steff.

I'd say that we'll spend £40m, whether that's a net spend or not depends on our outgoings.

How about this loan that Lewis has apparently allowed us? £50m, wasn't it? That's the word of a series of respectable posters, including Steff.

I'd say that we'll spend £40m, whether that's a net spend or not depends on our outgoings.

If there was a loan, I doubt that it was any more than a bridging loan to allow us to sign players before the Bale money came in

Think we'll end up bringing in a left back - probably a Baldini special who few of us have heard of (ie similar to Chadli, Chiriches types). Outgoings: maybe Gomes and Ade if someone will buy them

Yeah, as Milo says, it was an advance on the Bale money so we could bring in Paulinho, Soldado and Chadli.

Defoe hasn't been good but would be madness to sell him we only have one other striker (Ade obviously is not even an option)

Which completely puts to bed any theories that Soldado was signed when people thought that Bale was staying.

I think that it was pretty clear that Bale wasn't staying from mid-summer onwards. After that it was about trying to get as much money out of Real as possible

milo;478035[B said:
]I think that it was pretty clear that Bale wasn't staying from mid-summer onwards[/B]. After that it was about trying to get as much money out of Real as possible

Not for me it wasn't. I held out hope that we were merely going to sell our deadwood to fund all these players that were coming in (Chadli, Capoue, Chiriches, etcetera) right until we signed Lamela for 30 million quid. That was when the penny finally dropped for me. And even then, I held out a wee hope that maybe, just maybe the deal would collapse, that Perez would overstep his mark or Bale would back down or Levy would show balls of adamantium and tell our dear best friends from Madrid to **** off back to their siestas and leave us alone. Sigh.

Not for me it wasn't. I held out hope that we were merely going to sell our deadwood to fund all these players that were coming in (Chadli, Capoue, Chiriches, etcetera) right until we signed Lamela for 30 million quid. That was when the penny finally dropped for me. And even then, I held out a wee hope that maybe, just maybe the deal would collapse, that Perez would overstep his mark or Bale would back down or Levy would show balls of adamantium and tell our dear best friends from Madrid to **** off back to their siestas and leave us alone. Sigh.

I meant from the club's activity. I had (misguided) hope too. When will I learn?

I meant from the club's activity. I had (misguided) hope too. When will I learn?

We will never learn. Carrick, Berba, Modric, Bale and we still haven't learnt a thing. Personally, I think that's good: football needs a bit of delusion, a bit of willing suspension of disbelief. Facing up to the fact that football is a cruel mistress and is full of cut-throat two-faced bastards who will happily kick us into submission every single time we look like getting anywhere would drive most of us on the forum into manic depressives reaching for the bottle of pills while tearfully stabbing our 'Ricky Villa 1981' posters. :)

Think it depends on whether Deadwood is still in charge or if we have a proper manager - if the latter then think he may be given a small amount (upto 10million+-) to settle in. If Temporary Tim is still there then we won't spend until the summer.

Back